Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT853 (sp-cmc-4's) bass roll off  (Read 6414 times)

Offline soomlos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
AT853 (sp-cmc-4's) bass roll off
« on: January 05, 2005, 02:09:28 AM »
I have the sound professals AT853's (1/8 mini > sp 9volt batterybox w/bass roll off) and was thinkin' about getting the phantom power mod. upgrade....

My question is by doing this I will no longer have any bass roll off option. Can anyone tell me from experience if that will be a problem.... ???

Thanks for any help

Offline bmr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Pearl Jam Bit Torrents
Re: AT853 (sp-cmc-4's) bass roll off
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 11:02:45 AM »
I have the sound professals AT853's (1/8 mini > sp 9volt batterybox w/bass roll off) and was thinkin' about getting the phantom power mod. upgrade....

My question is by doing this I will no longer have any bass roll off option. Can anyone tell me from experience if that will be a problem.... ???

Thanks for any help

You'll lose the bass rolloff, yes. Depending on what you'd be running the mics into once you get them modded, there's a pretty good chance that the increased SPLs that the mics will be able to handle under phantom power will negate the need for the bass rolloff.

Offline soomlos

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 11:58:57 AM »
ah, ok thanks.... I'll be running this:
AT853's > sp phantom mod > ps2 > ad-20 > d8

thierryhenry

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 01:15:32 PM »
ah, ok thanks.... I'll be running this:
AT853's > sp phantom mod > ps2 > ad-20 > d8

Very nice combo.

Offline Idle Wind

• Wishes He Could Get Out More..
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
  • YEEEWRAAAUGHHH... OOOOHHH..YEAAAHH
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 01:17:21 PM »
If you can get your hands on the Audio Technica AT8533X
phantom power module that comes with the 853Rx (and
I think is sold separately) that has a low end roll off switch
on it.

There's also the Samson phantom converter that is cheaper, and
you can buy separately (and is maybe what SP uses) though I
don't think that has a roll off.

also, I don't know if you already have the ps2/ad-20 combo,
but for about the same price you could score a used mp2
or equivalent (Shure FP-24, mixpre, whatever) that would
give you a roll off switch, and a lot more (but no separate A/D)

I've been running the AT853Rx->AT8533x->MP-2->D8
and I love it.
Schoeps mk4, mk22, nbob actives
AKG 460 ck63 /ck8 nbob actives
AT853RX  - O/SC/C/H
PCM-M10 / DR-70D (N-Mod) / PMD 670 (Oade Mod) / Roland R07 / FR2-LE (Oade mod)
Platinum N-Box, Baby N-Box, SD MP-2, Naiant PFAs

Offline soomlos

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 01:46:20 PM »
on it.

and I love it.

Sp uses the samson phantoms in their mod upgrade..... no roll off option - cost $79 total
or
they sell separately the at8533x phantoms w/ roll off option for $160 a pair and then I would still have to modify the cable ends to mini xlrs at an additional cost...

I guess I'm trying to figure out if the added cost to have a bass roll off option is worth it?

I already have the ad-20 so I'm most likely gonna stick with the ps-2 > ad-20 plan

also someone has sugested a modified ps-2 with roll off? couldn't find any info on that though...

Thanks for reading and any help

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 01:54:26 PM »
on it.

and I love it.

Sp uses the samson phantoms in their mod upgrade..... no roll off option - cost $79 total
or
they sell separately the at8533x phantoms w/ roll off option for $160 a pair and then I would still have to modify the cable ends to mini xlrs at an additional cost...

I guess I'm trying to figure out if the added cost to have a bass roll off option is worth it?

I already have the ad-20 so I'm most likely gonna stick with the ps-2 > ad-20 plan

also someone has sugested a modified ps-2 with roll off? couldn't find any info on that though...

Thanks for reading and any help

i've been running AT853 w/ phantom power for few years now and have never had the need to roll off.  unless you're taping those mega-bassy shows, you should be fine going flat.

however, if you do want to get the AT8533x modules for the roll-off function then try ATUSA directly. their phone number is:  330-686-2600 and ask for Dave Webb in parts dept. the last time i checked, the AT8533x were $60 each.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

thierryhenry

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 02:18:42 PM »
Leegedy always has all the answers!

Offline soomlos

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 04:21:19 PM »
cool, thanks leegeddy

i'm kinda leaning toward the sp mod w/ no roll off..... save some $'s

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 04:25:18 PM »
good bet, i'm doin this myself tommorow. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 04:27:41 PM by sirchek »
mics & cameras

thierryhenry

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 06:00:56 PM »
good bet, i'm doin this myself tommorow. 

Good luck.

Offline GroundHog420

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
Re: AT8533X bass roll off switch
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2020, 03:48:47 PM »
Hey there -

I have a pair of the Audio Technica AT8533X phantom power modules, which came along with a set of AT853a mics I purchased from another TS-member a while back; the mics terminate in a mini-XLR (female) end, and the AT8533X units work as a male-to-male adapter to convert them into a standard XLR end. Up until recently, I've only used the mics with a darktrain 4.7k mod y-cable, into a Roland R-07. I just acquired a Tascam DR-40, and wanted to use the 4-channel feature, running both the externals *and* the internals, for some field recording projects.

Based on what I've gleaned from this thread, the little switch on the AT8533X must be a bass roll-off switch. I've never really used roll-off functions on any device in the past, figuring if something needs tweaking, it can be done in post-processing. Still, short of playing around with with the position of the switch on the AT8533X modules, there isn't any other obvious (visual) way to determine which position turns the bass roll-off "on" or "off".

I've always leaned toward using the *least* amount of in-line or on-board processing, but in this situation, I've got a pair of mics that *need* the AT8533X in order to connect it to the XLR input on the Tascam. BUT.... the AT8533X is not just an adapter, but a power module... and.... there is a switch on the Tascam which supplies phantom power to the mics.... am I wrong in thinking that these two features might not play well with each other?

I *know* this is an old topic, but it's the only topic I could find that relates to my question, and it didn't seem to make a lot of sense to me to start a new topic when it's already being discussed here, I reckon. Trust me when I say that before I even post any kind of question, I've spent a *lot* of time digging through all the threads I can find that might be relevant, so if I missed something, apologies in advance.
Hey man, that common sense shit won't fly around here, we're from Portland, we're edgy & different or something  ???
she kept playing with the balls for around 2 years after i thought i had seen it all from them.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2020, 04:41:12 PM »
I've always leaned toward using the *least* amount of in-line or on-board processing, but in this situation, I've got a pair of mics that *need* the AT8533X in order to connect it to the XLR input on the Tascam. BUT.... the AT8533X is not just an adapter, but a power module... and.... there is a switch on the Tascam which supplies phantom power to the mics.... am I wrong in thinking that these two features might not play well with each other?

I don't think you want to send phantom from the Tascam if the AT8533X is supplying phantom power, if that's what you're asking.  But you talked a bit about the bass roll-off as well, so are you asking about whether to use that?

Edit: I was confused by the part about them being "power modules."  See subsequent posts.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:24:58 AM by heathen »
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2020, 05:53:11 PM »
The XLR adapter converts phantom power provided by the recorder to the low voltage used by the microphone.  You will need phantom switched ON to power it.. unless it can also house a AA battery which can be used instead of phantom powering (some AT XLR adapters do, some don't, not sure of this specific model).  If it does offer AA battery powering, the switch may select between phantom/battery.  If not, its probably a high-pass filter.

You should be able to determine what the switch does by way of some simple testing with the mic plugged in.  Having phantom turned on while switched to "battery power mode" should not case a problem.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2020, 11:23:20 PM »
Hey there -

I have a pair of the Audio Technica AT8533X phantom power modules, which came along with a set of AT853a mics I purchased from another TS-member a while back; the mics terminate in a mini-XLR (female) end, and the AT8533X units work as a male-to-male adapter to convert them into a standard XLR end. Up until recently, I've only used the mics with a darktrain 4.7k mod y-cable, into a Roland R-07. I just acquired a Tascam DR-40, and wanted to use the 4-channel feature, running both the externals *and* the internals, for some field recording projects.

Based on what I've gleaned from this thread, the little switch on the AT8533X must be a bass roll-off switch. I've never really used roll-off functions on any device in the past, figuring if something needs tweaking, it can be done in post-processing. Still, short of playing around with with the position of the switch on the AT8533X modules, there isn't any other obvious (visual) way to determine which position turns the bass roll-off "on" or "off".

I *know* this is an old topic, but it's the only topic I could find that relates to my question, and it didn't seem to make a lot of sense to me to start a new topic when it's already being discussed here, I reckon. Trust me when I say that before I even post any kind of question, I've spent a *lot* of time digging through all the threads I can find that might be relevant, so if I missed something, apologies in advance.

If these are the ones i think they are than the switch only goes left and right.To one side is a STRAIGHT LINE(flat frequency NO roll off)  the other way is a slanted line for BASS ROLL OFF.If that is worn off than the switch towards the xlr connector side should be bass roll off on.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.119 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com