Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR2d - part 2  (Read 134723 times)

Offline shownomarcy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Hungarian Metallica fanclub!
Re: Tascam DR2d - part 2
« Reply #225 on: May 06, 2013, 07:19:37 AM »
May try a FULL format with DR-2d, I wonder if you can make it without error?
AT853uw mics / ca-14 (omni/card)+ ca-9200 preamp
Edirol R-09HR / Tascam DR-2d
Canon Legria HF S20

Have you taped any Hungarian band? Please contact me! :)
http://www.youtube.com/shownomarcy
https://soundcloud.com/m-rton-sebesty-n-shownomarcy
http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=397210
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/member.php?u=120801

Offline olli66

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #226 on: May 09, 2013, 05:28:12 AM »
well, I by now tried 5 different SD cards, they all fail, some directly, some after 2 hours...I am really pissed
wanted to record two concerts and the first did not record at all and the second just for two hours.
I get "file error" messages and the files are totally unusable afterwards
I now tried a mini SD card (the only other one I could find) with a mini SD to SD adapter, recording now since 40 minutes but who knows if it runs through, one of my other sd cards recorded to its maximum once but since then always gave me error messages even after re-formatting
so I guess I should return the unit? really sucks 'caue I am going to 14 shows the next 3 months...
btw some cards don't work at all, it says "MRB error" and I can't use the card at all
is this a common thing with the Tascam?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #227 on: May 09, 2013, 09:22:38 AM »
Not common.  I'd return it for a new one before your recording dates come around.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #228 on: May 09, 2013, 02:37:54 PM »
This is a typical Tascam DR-07/DR-2D problem. Sometimes you will get an error but
to me this always happened during the first 10/15 minutes of a recording.
So my advice, turn on the recorder plusminus 30 minutes before a show starts, start the recording and check
if everything works fine after 15 or 20 minutes.
If not, change SD-card and start recording again!

I would disagree with this comment. I have never had this issue and I had a DR07 for quite a while, and am on my second DR2d (the first was stolen but well used). It may that you are using a less than fully compatible card if you get an error occasionally. With the Tascam portables I reformat each time I take it out in the field, and it is always the short format because the full one takes a really long time, especially now using 16 and 32 gb cards. But I have never gotten an error. I would not consider having to wait 15 minutes to see if my recording is going to work as an acceptable situation. I use off brands like Wintec, HP, polaroid, and Microcenters brand whatever their better brand is, but always class 10 for my SDHC cards. I used to get an error with my Tascam DR08 which is SDHC micro, but I finally bought a recommended card from the Tascam DR08 approved list and that solved my problem with that deck.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #229 on: May 23, 2013, 01:35:49 AM »
Is there a way to toggle between mic-in and line-in for monitoring thru line out? I am only able to get mic-in.

Also, is it better to run my ca-9100 preamp into the mic-in (since I will have more control over the gain), and the board feed into line in? But because of the above question about monitoring, I would prefer to run the board feed in to mic-in (so I can give it a listen).

As always, advice appreciated!
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline eric66

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #230 on: May 23, 2013, 08:28:32 AM »
This is a typical Tascam DR-07/DR-2D problem. Sometimes you will get an error but
to me this always happened during the first 10/15 minutes of a recording.
So my advice, turn on the recorder plusminus 30 minutes before a show starts, start the recording and check
if everything works fine after 15 or 20 minutes.
If not, change SD-card and start recording again!

I would disagree with this comment. I have never had this issue and I had a DR07 for quite a while, and am on my second DR2d (the first was stolen but well used). It may that you are using a less than fully compatible card if you get an error occasionally. With the Tascam portables I reformat each time I take it out in the field, and it is always the short format because the full one takes a really long time, especially now using 16 and 32 gb cards. But I have never gotten an error. I would not consider having to wait 15 minutes to see if my recording is going to work as an acceptable situation. I use off brands like Wintec, HP, polaroid, and Microcenters brand whatever their better brand is, but always class 10 for my SDHC cards. I used to get an error with my Tascam DR08 which is SDHC micro, but I finally bought a recommended card from the Tascam DR08 approved list and that solved my problem with that deck.

I always used Sandisk class 2 or 4 standard cards (and tested and recommended by Tascam). The cards which gives me an error today probably will work fine the other day after a reformat.
In normal circumstances errors won't occur very often, in my case it was probably a heat problem caused by myself.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #231 on: May 23, 2013, 11:00:04 AM »
Is there a way to toggle between mic-in and line-in for monitoring thru line out? I am only able to get mic-in.

I don't use the line-out while recording with this deck and assumed the monitor out source would be switched along with the meter source switching, but others report that it isn't. 

Also, is it better to run my ca-9100 preamp into the mic-in (since I will have more control over the gain), and the board feed into line in? But because of the above question about monitoring, I would prefer to run the board feed in to mic-in (so I can give it a listen).

Depends on the situation.  Line-input can handle a hotter input before overload, mic-input gain is adjustable while recording.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #232 on: June 01, 2013, 03:20:36 PM »
Just noticed something pretty odd while doing a matrix. I mixed down two recordings and this happened in both. I ran two shows, one had both files at -4db and the other had both files at -5.8db. In both cases when I matrixed the two they came out to -8db in the resulting wave file, even though I had added a couple db to one in the matrix. This is weird because I never encountered this while mixing two recordings from different recorders by speed change, the resulting file was always closer to -.01db. I was running CA-14 Cards > STC-9200(+15db) > DR-2d LineIn and CA-CAFs Omnis > CA-UBB > DR-2d MicIn.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline shownomarcy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Hungarian Metallica fanclub!
« Reply #233 on: June 02, 2013, 03:38:15 PM »
I dont know could be quieter if they are not the same phase?

btw: I dropped!  ::) my DR-2d from more than a meter, I think, cca 100-130 cm (to hard floor). Had no problem at all, than made two good recordings!
THANKS Tascam! :)
AT853uw mics / ca-14 (omni/card)+ ca-9200 preamp
Edirol R-09HR / Tascam DR-2d
Canon Legria HF S20

Have you taped any Hungarian band? Please contact me! :)
http://www.youtube.com/shownomarcy
https://soundcloud.com/m-rton-sebesty-n-shownomarcy
http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=397210
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/member.php?u=120801

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #234 on: June 03, 2013, 09:42:06 AM »
Just noticed something pretty odd while doing a matrix.

Are you certain there isn't one or several gain adjustments happening somewhere in your editing software signal chain?
If not, then check the polarity of the two files by zooming in on the waveform to see if one is inverted relative to the other.  If so try inverting the polarity of one file.

Offline jagraham

« Reply #235 on: June 28, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »
^ It was likely the gain setting in Audacity. I need to be more careful with that..

I'd like to note something about running CA-11 Cards > UBB Batt box > DR-2d Mic In. Levels are WAY low if you run this setup and have the volume set in the 60s. I had it set at 100 because I had a very low level SBD patch, it worked but levels were so low there was hiss. Anyway, I forgot and still had it set to 100 for Panic the next weekend and it turned out fine. If we are using a mic like the Church cards, those have pretty low sensitivity so IMO I don't see any issues running levels a little higher. Any opinions or insight? For the record, I wouldn't try that with the omnis, they seem a little more sensitive.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #236 on: June 28, 2013, 11:56:55 AM »
Go into the menu and up the mic input gain setting from LOW to MID, or if it's already set to MID than up it to HIGH.

Offline jagraham

« Reply #237 on: June 28, 2013, 12:24:15 PM »
Go into the menu and up the mic input gain setting from LOW to MID, or if it's already set to MID than up it to HIGH.

^ What mics / BB / pre are you using? I appreciate all your suggestions in this thread but I think the mic in gain setting is something that should be left on LOW and never touched. YMMV, but I set it to medium once and the result was what looked to be a brickwalled recording. It sounded fine, just a little boomy(it was omnis), but I would rather worry about amplification in post than clipping / brickwalling.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #238 on: June 28, 2013, 01:07:35 PM »
If you need to max out the mic-input gain at 100 with it set to LOW and are still getting recording levels that aren't high enough and have noise floor problems, you'll benefit from more gain.  Not sure what the good range of settings will be in that case; you'd need to experiment to find out.  However, with mic-gain set to MID you will be able to set the mic-gain lower than the established "do not go below level" of LOW/67 on the mic-input if necessary.  How much lower I don't know.  The upper limit should simply be that which clips the meters for whatever you are recording, assuming you have the limiter and auto-gain turned off.

I'm usually running DPA 4060 (which are quite sensitive) > CA-UGLY (used more or less like a battery box, set for zero or minimal gain, maybe +/-5dB) > DR-2d.  Identical signal chain into both inputs (4 mics > 2preamps) > mic-input set to LOW/67, line-input set to 97.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 01:09:13 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline MLKLuke

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • going going...but never GONE!
    • MLK Audio
« Reply #239 on: July 01, 2013, 06:35:22 PM »
hi guys...just bought a pair of Countryman B3 and would like to use them together with my AT853 (3 Wire version) into DR2D

here the 2 rigs:

#1: AT853 > CA9200 3Wire or Custom Made 3Wire BBox > DR2D
#2: Countryman B3 > CA-UBB > DR2D

What's the best configuration for them with DR2D?

I was thinking about pluggin the AT into MIC-IN cause I suppose they're less sensitive than B3s (even if the B3 are the low sens version). When I will use CA9200 I would like to set the MIC-IN gain near to a neutral value (which is...what?!) so that I can use CA9200 gain that is supposed to be better than internal DR2D preamp...isn't it?! When I will use the custom 3wire Bbox then I would just raise the MIC-IN gain till the right level. Then I would plug the B3s into LINE-IN hoping that the 100 setting is not too high and not too low for them.

or maybe it would be better to plug the AT853 with CA9200 preamp into LINE-IN so that I can change levels from the CA9200 and then connect the B3s to the MIC-IN and change the levels from DR2D mic-in preamp?

waiting for your opinion/suggestions...thanks in advance

Luca

MLK - Luke
Mics: Schoeps MK4+Nbob Actives / AT853 (H,C,SC) / DPA 4061
Power: Tinybox v2.5 / 3-Wire BBox / CA-9200 3W / CA-UBB
Recorders: R05 / R09HR / Pocketrak C24 / Tascam DR2D
My Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com