Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iZotope RX is @#$*in' amazing!  (Read 11351 times)

Offline ironbut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: iZotope RX is @#$*in' amazing!
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2008, 01:48:52 AM »
If you guys haven't checked out the "restoration guide" it's great. It explains some of the settings that I hadn't tried yet (in spectrogram display and just practical stuff) and lets you know what's happening rather than just a lot of trial and error. There are some presets and audio examples included (I haven't gotten to the examples yet). The link came with the iZotope newsletter last week. http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/rx/guides.html

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2008, 12:40:15 AM »
That guide taught me more in twenty minutes than I learned Saturday... It said it better than I can but you can remove much of a whoooooo by using the waveform display ( the all wayeform / all spectral display is your  friend) to locate it in the recording.... use the matching spectral display to "see"  (Horz line at one frequency range w/ lighter harmonics) the whooooo, zoom in (by moving the mouse on the sliders/scale to the right) on the area of the display...  select it with your mouse.. play only that selected to hear you have the correct sound. Use the De noiset to remove it... BAM
one word though... De Clipping.
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Houston
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2008, 06:04:26 PM »
Thanks for the thread folks - this is just what I need to clean up a recording I made where there was a blown speaker in the right stack resulting in a lot of clicks.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2008, 07:18:00 PM »
Thanks for the thread folks - this is just what I need to clean up a recording I made where there was a blown speaker in the right stack resulting in a lot of clicks.

If this can fix crappy sounding sound system gear, you'd think improving the 'talent' would be just another minor step away.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Team Houston
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2008, 07:41:40 PM »

If this can fix crappy sounding sound system gear, you'd think improving the 'talent' would be just another minor step away.

one blown speaker element in a stack just results in a lot of clicking at high SPL moments - this is easy to fix with a declicker. 

improving talent on the other hand requires a lot of money and good people.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2009, 10:43:20 AM »

Hello,

I have a recent recording where the signal feeding from my pre "lightly" clipped the ad in my recorder.  I wasn't aware that the clipping occurred until I viewed the waveform.  The clipping is NOT evident while listening to the music.  The clipping occurred at around -6 -> -7 dB on the recorder. 

I don't know why but I can't get the declipper to work despite trying NUMEROUS settings.  Could someone give me a few basic declipping instructions so that I can maybe figure out what I'm doing incorrectly?

Thanks!!

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2009, 11:02:27 AM »

Hello,

I have a recent recording where the signal feeding from my pre "lightly" clipped the ad in my recorder.  I wasn't aware that the clipping occurred until I viewed the waveform.  The clipping is NOT evident while listening to the music.  The clipping occurred at around -6 -> -7 dB on the recorder. 

I don't know why but I can't get the declipper to work despite trying NUMEROUS settings.  Could someone give me a few basic declipping instructions so that I can maybe figure out what I'm doing incorrectly?

Thanks!!

If your digital levels are around -6 or -7dBfs, and the WAV looks flattened out... then you're not clipping, you are brickwalling (aka overloading some analog portion of the gear chain prior to the A/D).  I don't have experience with this software, but maybe the "declipper" is looking for samples that are actually digital clipping (i.e. pegged at 0dBfs), and you need to use some other wave restoration tool.  Alternatively, if their is no audible distortion, another option is to leave the recording as is (but try to identify where the signal was too hot for the gear to handle, in an effort to prevent it from happening again).

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2009, 11:44:25 AM »

Hello,

Thanks!!

If your digital levels are around -6 or -7dBfs, and the WAV looks flattened out... then you're not clipping, you are brickwalling (aka overloading some analog portion of the gear chain prior to the A/D).  I don't have experience with this software, but maybe the "declipper" is looking for samples that are actually digital clipping (i.e. pegged at 0dBfs), and you need to use some other wave restoration tool.  Alternatively, if their is no audible distortion, another option is to leave the recording as is (but try to identify where the signal was too hot for the gear to handle, in an effort to prevent it from happening again).

Jason, thanks for the education.  PM sent...

;)
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2009, 06:46:46 PM »
If your digital levels are around -6 or -7dBfs, and the WAV looks flattened out... then you're not clipping, you are brickwalling (aka overloading some analog portion of the gear chain prior to the A/D).  I don't have experience with this software, but maybe the "declipper" is looking for samples that are actually digital clipping (i.e. pegged at 0dBfs), and you need to use some other wave restoration tool.

Or maybe try adding just enough gain (between 6-7 dB) to bring the brickwalled peaks just up to full scale, and then run the declipper?

Offline allan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
    • enclave media
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2009, 09:07:51 PM »
anyone willing to run a couple things through this for me? I'd like to know how well it really works before i buy it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com