Gear / Technical Help > Recording Media

"Baking" old open-reel tapes

<< < (2/10) > >>

jerryfreak:

--- Quote from: seethreepo on December 08, 2020, 07:09:00 PM ---I've also heard using a food dehydrator can in some cases provide good results as the temperature can in some cases be more consistent and precisely controlled.

--- End quote ---
by definition they are low temp and high air circulation

an Excalibur is just a big box you could do a dozen or more at a time

and its a handy kitchen tool, esp if you garden and have an onslaught of seasonal fruits and veggies

GLouie:
I've not used a food dehydrator, as we have an old surplus germ oven like this (but older):

https://www.sonicraft.com/tape-baking/

As long as the temperature can hold at 130F, with little overshoot, I think you are good to go. A home cooking oven seems to fluctuate way too much. To low a temp is also bad; you won't get much change in the tape even with a long bake time.

daspyknows:
Double check temperatures using another thermometer.  Oven thermometers are often not exact and missing by a few degrees may cause problems.

DSatz:
I ordered a thermometer and a food dehydrator; the thermometer arrived today. There isn't a lot I can do with just that, but it's a start.

GLouie, hi! Nice to see you here (as well as the other place). Unfortunately this forum doesn't allow files to be attached to private messages, but I'll send you my private email address--unless you'd like to post your notes as an attachment to a message here; it's up to you.

--best regards

daspyknows:

--- Quote from: DSatz on December 09, 2020, 03:35:21 PM ---I ordered a thermometer and a food dehydrator; the thermometer arrived today. There isn't a lot I can do with just that, but it's a start.

GLouie, hi! Nice to see you here (as well as the other place). Unfortunately this forum doesn't allow files to be attached to private messages, but I'll send you my private email address--unless you'd like to post your notes as an attachment to a message here; it's up to you.

--best regards

--- End quote ---

Upload to WeTransfer and use the link.  It's a 2 step process which is a workaround.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version