Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Tascam Portacapture X8

<< < (10/13) > >>

justme:
News Shooter have done a lengthy review of the X8.
Although more from a usage point of view then an audiophiles or tapers ones.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2022/01/31/tascam-portacapture-x8-review/

Ozpeter:

--- Quote from: justme on January 31, 2022, 11:45:04 PM ---News Shooter have done a lengthy review of the X8.
Although more from a usage point of view then an audiophiles or tapers ones.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2022/01/31/tascam-portacapture-x8-review/

--- End quote ---

I like that style of review - just the facts, no waffle. 

For a moment I thought I read in the review that it can be used WITH a USB-C mic, but actually it says that it can be used AS a USB-C mic.  I'll throw in here that I've just received a Shure MV88+ MS stereo USB-C mic, and as I hoped, it does work with the DJI Action 2 video camera.  This confirms that there's not the slightest reason why future audio recorders shouldn't be able to accept such digital mics via a USB-C socket, adding to the possiblities of what can be mixed and matched.  That in turn makes me wonder whether the X8 has any inbuilt MS functionality?  32 bit MS recordings would have the nice feature of allowing you to forget not only level setting but aslo stereo image at the time of recording, but of course it would be ideal to be able to convert the MS to XY for monitoring purposes in the recorder.

carpa:
A bit off-topic, I apologize....@Ozpeter; I also own a Shure mv88 which is a useful tool, but I own the first  version with lightning connector. I think there is no reason why it shouldn't work also with a Mac computer, apart from the fact that I couldn't by any means find an adapter cable. What needed would be just a lightning/female to USB, but it seems nobody has had the idea for making one so far. Any suggestion?

Ozpeter:

--- Quote from: carpa on February 02, 2022, 08:49:55 AM ---A bit off-topic, I apologize....@Ozpeter; I also own a Shure mv88 which is a useful tool, but I own the first  version with lightning connector. I think there is no reason why it shouldn't work also with a Mac computer, apart from the fact that I couldn't by any means find an adapter cable. What needed would be just a lightning/female to USB, but it seems nobody has had the idea for making one so far. Any suggestion?

--- End quote ---

I use this for connecting a Sennheiser Ambeo binaural headset to an Android phone - or to the DJI Action 2 - but I know nothing about Mac computers  so....

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B085VHX67X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

WiFiJeff:
I've received my X8, the hum is a definite issue.  I get spikes at about 25,384 Hz, 50766 Hz, and 76,143 Hz (plus a wee something at just under 90 kHz).  These first three spikes are clearly some sort of harmonic series.  The issue is greater in the right channel than the left (and in track 4 than track 3, I have not yet tested tracks 5 & 6).  It doesn't seem to matter if the external mics are close to the recorder or several feet away, as far as I can tell.

Tascam mics on the body of the recorder: My noisy room background -117.4 dB; 25384 Hz (L -110 dB) (R -96.1 dB); 50766 Hz (L -111 dB) (R-99.6 dB)
  with screen set to dim and backlight off 25384 Hz (L -111.2 dB) (R -96.3 dB), no real difference as far as I can tell.

Nevaton MC 59/W in inputs 3&4 background at -114 dB; 25384 Hz (L -113 dB) (R-100.1 dB); 50766 Hz (L -113.3 dB) (R -100.3 dB)  dim or bright screen, mics near the X8 or a few feet away, no difference I can see.

With no mics in 5&6 I still see biggish but not so sharp peaks at those frequencies.

I usually record at 96 kHz, so the 50k and 76k spikes won't mean anything to me, but the 25384 Hz spike will be a concern.  Those who record at 48 kHz won't have any issues here at all.  I'm waiting to hear how Tascam, who has been made aware of the problem, will deal with this.  I have not yet upgraded to the new software, as it does not claim to do a fix for this.  Not sure how software could!

Jeff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version