Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Hearing Loops at venues

<< < (2/2)

datbrad:
Perhaps the OP is not aware that IEM, ALS, and other "hacks" are more taboo to discuss openly here than stealth audience recording. It's been so long since this site and etree were first started by tapers who only record artists with permission using full size rigs, that the value of that distinction to those who abide by artists wishes is no longer widely understood. Every now and then we have to remind folks that the core base of tapers who pioneered this community are very protective of their moral authority to stand behind the argument that there is a very clear distinction between sanctioned audience tapers and those who tape artists who specifically state a no-recording policy in their contract riders sent to venues. Any tapers who have years, even decades of experiences with self appointed bootleg cops in the audience who try to lecture them about their "crime" and have to repel them with a solid argument for why it's not bootlegging understand fully why stealth tapers and IEM leeches only undermine those of us who are open tapers. I have stealth taped many times when an uptight venue forced that method, but only for artists who are ok with fans taping but they won't interfere with venue policies. The OP should know it's not personal when the topics he's raised here are so swiftly pounced on.

SDM71:

--- Quote from: datbrad on January 20, 2022, 08:23:04 AM ---Perhaps the OP is not aware that IEM, ALS, and other "hacks" are more taboo to discuss openly here than stealth audience recording. It's been so long since this site and etree were first started by tapers who only record artists with permission using full size rigs, that the value of that distinction to those who abide by artists wishes is no longer widely understood. Every now and then we have to remind folks that the core base of tapers who pioneered this community are very protective of their moral authority to stand behind the argument that there is a very clear distinction between sanctioned audience tapers and those who tape artists who specifically state a no-recording policy in their contract riders sent to venues. Any tapers who have years, even decades of experiences with self appointed bootleg cops in the audience who try to lecture them about their "crime" and have to repel them with a solid argument for why it's not bootlegging understand fully why stealth tapers and IEM leeches only undermine those of us who are open tapers. I have stealth taped many times when an uptight venue forced that method, but only for artists who are ok with fans taping but they won't interfere with venue policies. The OP should know it's not personal when the topics he's raised here are so swiftly pounced on.

--- End quote ---

Thank you.  I accept the education.  I was aware of some of the tension between open / stealth, but had failed to grasp the intensity.

hoserama:
ALD recordings are very persnickety. There can often be limiters or EQs, so sometimes they'll be very compressed or shrill. Depends on the venue. Also, at least in the US, they tend to be on 72mhz or 216mhz frequencies, which is very susceptible to cell phone interference and/or SD card write RF noise.. The ALD receivers use the headphone cord as the antenna, so make sure the headphone cord is loose, free, and untangled. I'll have a pack in my breast pocket, have the cord go up to my shoulder, and then loop back down my body to the recorder in the fanny pack.

If you're serious about this, go to a sports game at the venue and test it out. You can figure out if it's worthwhile, reception quality, decent locations in proximity to transmitter, etc. And then if it works for you, don't torrent or release it. No need to ruin it long-term if it's good.

SDM71:
From use of the terminology above, I've been able to search the boards (and elsewhere) more successfully, and see how incendiary having this as my first post was.  I'm going to leave it there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version