Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

DJI Osmo Pocket 3 camera has 32 bit float audio - wow, times are changing!

(1/4) > >>

Ozpeter:
So why am I posting this here?  Well, it seems to me that the time really is coming when we will be able to do high quality concert recording, but with high quality video to go with it, using something no larger (in length) than a mobile phone.

https://youtu.be/K9ML0aN-6uo?si=m0AOy_9CsxHIK9Uq&t=526

In that review, mention is made of 32 bit float recording at 8:46 - but it's not totally clear whether this is in respect of wireless mic recording, or all recording.  I suspect the former.  It may mean that the supplied wireless mic (which can accept lavalier mics, so it has got a mono mic input) records internally in 32 bit float while sending a 'normal' stream to the camera.  It looks like the camera can support two such mics.  So one could imagine a scenario when you wear in-ear mics to keep the profile low, connected to a pair of the wireless transmitters with a splitter cable, thereby recording a stereo image in 32 bit float, synced to the camera.  In use the camera can look not unlike a mobile phone, so if it's the kind of gig where everyone has got their phone out, you wouldn't look too conspicuous.

This may all seem deeply irrrelevant to most readers here, but perhaps it will encourage one or two to find out more.

wordgroove:

--- Quote from: Ozpeter on October 26, 2023, 12:11:29 AM ---So why am I posting this here?  Well, it seems to me that the time really is coming when we will be able to do high quality concert recording, but with high quality video to go with it, using something no larger (in length) than a mobile phone.

https://youtu.be/K9ML0aN-6uo?si=m0AOy_9CsxHIK9Uq&t=526

In that review, mention is made of 32 bit float recording at 8:46 - but it's not totally clear whether this is in respect of wireless mic recording, or all recording.  I suspect the former.  It may mean that the supplied wireless mic (which can accept lavalier mics, so it has got a mono mic input) records internally in 32 bit float while sending a 'normal' stream to the camera.  It looks like the camera can support two such mics.  So one could imagine a scenario when you wear in-ear mics to keep the profile low, connected to a pair of the wireless transmitters with a splitter cable, thereby recording a stereo image in 32 bit float, synced to the camera.  In use the camera can look not unlike a mobile phone, so if it's the kind of gig where everyone has got their phone out, you wouldn't look too conspicuous.''

-----
incredible wow.. didnt know it had32 bit float audio]]''

thanks for letting us know

This may all seem deeply irrrelevant to most readers here, but perhaps it will encourage one or two to find out more.

--- End quote ---

Ozpeter:
In another review it mentions timecode.  However, I don't begin to understand about timecode, so the practical implications go over my head.  But that might be interesting to some here too.   That is at this link -

https://youtu.be/pe-GRHcfOYc?si=f3DMK0yP-uOQNZa3&t=894

wordgroove:

--- Quote from: Ozpeter on October 26, 2023, 03:38:35 AM ---In another review it mentions timecode.  However, I don't begin to understand about timecode, so the practical implications go over my head.  But that might be interesting to some here too.   That is at this link -

https://youtu.be/pe-GRHcfOYc?si=f3DMK0yP-uOQNZa3&t=894

--- End quote ---

be good to sync to other angles
two pocket 3 filming diff location

Taz

Ozpeter:
From DJI -

"You are able to get access to the time code function under the system settings, for the timecode usage, you are advised to use a third-party timecode synchronizer to sync devices from different directions then the timecode will now be synchronized. When using the TentacleSync Timecoder with the unit, you only need to use the synchronization function of the "Timecoder”. The synchronization function is used to synchronize a separate timecode in the product, and after the synchronization is completed, the Timecoder can be unplugged. "

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version