Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Auto Rec level  (Read 3566 times)

Offline in2blues

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Auto Rec level
« on: May 26, 2017, 09:36:00 AM »
Does any one ever use auto rec on deck. I was in situation where band was cool but club said no. Didn't even let people record clips with cell phones. As band was cool I put Sony M-11 in pocket and hoped levels would be okay. Once deck in pocket couldn't take out to adjust levels. Ended up clipping a few times but not totally ruined. Was thinking maybe should have put on auto levels but never used and not sure how much of a difference it would have made. Any one?

Offline SxPxDxCx

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • THATSTHETHINGABOUTTHAT.blogspot
Re: Auto Rec level
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 02:54:03 PM »
I've used it on my M-10 from time to time.  I think it did a good job maintaining the levels.  A few times when the music was really loud the recordings were a little hot but not ruined.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Denis Diderot:

MBHO KA 500 / KA 200N > Naiant IPAs / JKLabs > PCM-M10
AT933 C >SP-SPSB-1 > PCM-M10

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 01:01:24 AM »
Limiter on, level set between 1.75 - 2  with mic sensitivity on low, that's my "pocket" setting for EMTEN...

Oh yeah, backlight on 10 sec...
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 10:31:15 PM »
Yeah, you want the limiter, not auto levels. The limiter just flattens out the peaks to avoid clipping; auto levels tend to raise the gain during quiet bits and lower it during the loud ones, which is very much not what you want.

(The very first recording I made in the digital era, I managed to have clipping all of one set, and auto levels all of the other, thanks to not knowing what I was doing with a minidisc with Japanese-language controls. I think I mildly prefer the clipped set...)

Offline in2blues

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 09:22:09 AM »
Thanks, I think I will skip auto rec and use limiter if needed. It was the first time using deck without plug in mics. Knew I was going to have to turn levels down but wasn't sure how much. Thanks for the feedback. Don't have to many other tapers that I can ask questions to, Really thankful for this site and all you guys.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com