Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F8 - Part 2  (Read 125510 times)

Offline scorsesefan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Zoom F8 - Part 2
« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2016, 08:41:00 PM »
They are legit.  That is an excellent deal.  Cans are worth $100 alone.  Works out to a lot of free goodies at that price.
Thanks. Yeah and those are great monitors. I have a pair of the v6 but I can always use them for my edit suite....

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2016, 02:53:44 PM »
Next Question I have is:
Is there a pad or attenuation in the deck somewhere?  I don't think so but I'm just asking.

The maiden voyage was last Friday at the Wood Brothers at the McDonald here in Eugene.  I was 7 th row dead center head high with my Milab DC 196's NOS & VM 44's DIN, no preamps just direct into the F8. I usually don't need to or like to run the pads on the mics, but at this show which was not really that loud I had the gain knobs at about 9:00 for both sets of milabs. It seemed low and made the knobs a bit sensitive to movements.

I'll be going to see Lettuce this Saturday and will like run the  same set up , and I suppose I'll flip the -12 and -10 pads on each set of mics, though previously I've only need to do this way FOB at a few really loud shows.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

PS I like the sound and ran one of my Naztec power bank - at 12 it didn't eve seem to drain the power at all, that their set was only a bit longer than 90 minutes.

thanks in advance
--ian

It's a major annoyance of the deck that they should fix with a firmware update -- if you are plugged in XLR, you get "MIC" sensitivity; if you're plugged in TRS, you get "LINE" which will be more like most decks you've probably owned. I've had this same issue - didn't quite clip but got really close. My solution (and what tonedeaf does) was just use inexpensive TRS interconnects. They should still carry the phantom; only problem of course is TRS doesn't lock, but the interconnects he recommends (go back in this thread) are pretty sturdy.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2016, 03:13:17 PM »
It's a major annoyance of the deck that they should fix with a firmware update -- if you are plugged in XLR, you get "MIC" sensitivity; if you're plugged in TRS, you get "LINE" which will be more like most decks you've probably owned. I've had this same issue - didn't quite clip but got really close. My solution (and what tonedeaf does) was just use inexpensive TRS interconnects. They should still carry the phantom; only problem of course is TRS doesn't lock, but the interconnects he recommends (go back in this thread) are pretty sturdy.

You're right about that.... couldn't it just be a setting one the PFL menu... ?
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2016, 03:20:12 PM »
Next Question I have is:
Is there a pad or attenuation in the deck somewhere?  I don't think so but I'm just asking.

The maiden voyage was last Friday at the Wood Brothers at the McDonald here in Eugene.  I was 7 th row dead center head high with my Milab DC 196's NOS & VM 44's DIN, no preamps just direct into the F8. I usually don't need to or like to run the pads on the mics, but at this show which was not really that loud I had the gain knobs at about 9:00 for both sets of milabs. It seemed low and made the knobs a bit sensitive to movements.

I'll be going to see Lettuce this Saturday and will like run the  same set up , and I suppose I'll flip the -12 and -10 pads on each set of mics, though previously I've only need to do this way FOB at a few really loud shows.

PS I like the sound and ran one of my Naztec power bank - at 12 it didn't eve seem to drain the power at all, that their set was only a bit longer than 90 minutes.

thanks in advance
--ian

Can anyone confirm that phantom passes via the 1/4" TRS?  It would seem that that would not be the case as line in would not require phantom power. While Mic in may or may not need Phantom, at least that's my interpretation.
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2016, 03:30:16 PM »
Next Question I have is:

thanks in advance
--ian

Can anyone confirm that phantom passes via the 1/4" TRS?  It would seem that that would not be the case as line in would not require phantom power. While Mic in may or may not need Phantom, at least that's my interpretation.

^^^^ Just Confirmed::::: In Fact as suspected the 1/4" TRS is LINE IN and does NOT pass the phantom, as it does on the DR-680. Unless ther is some way to switch this internally, but I did a quick look and could not see a way to do so.
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2016, 04:13:38 PM »
On another note, I ran the F8 last night again without a preamp in front of it & really pleased with the results. Both the tubes & MBHO's sound great, a little eq to trim the bottom end, maybe add a little boost up top but that's it. I can't believe the quality we are getting in today's market, I never imagined a few years ago that I would pleased without a preamp but tech has come a long way in these last few years.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #141 on: February 06, 2016, 09:05:58 PM »

^^^^ Just Confirmed::::: In Fact as suspected the 1/4" TRS is LINE IN and does NOT pass the phantom, as it does on the DR-680. Unless ther is some way to switch this internally, but I did a quick look and could not see a way to do so.

Correct and no there's no way to change this. Either here or on another board a Zoom rep confirmed it's a physical implementation and can't be changed but will certainly be noted for future consideration.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2016, 09:20:29 PM »

Correct and no there's no way to change this. Either here or on another board a Zoom rep confirmed it's a physical implementation and can't be changed but will certainly be noted for future consideration.

FWIW I had a response from Zoom prior to the physical launch that the channel's could not be ganged due to hardware implementation but they've released a firmware revision to enable that.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline scorsesefan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2016, 09:29:08 PM »

You're right about that.... couldn't it just be a setting one the PFL menu... ?
Hm, that's weird. So there is no "line/mic" switch on the XLR inputs or in the menu? Even the inexpensive Tascam recorders I owned have had the option :/

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #144 on: February 06, 2016, 09:45:47 PM »

Chris.  With your response, do you mean with respect to phantom on the TRS or the ability to do line in on the xlr?

PS: are you going to either of the UM shows at The National next weekend?. Thinking of doing a road trip.

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #145 on: February 07, 2016, 01:07:34 AM »

Chris.  With your response, do you mean with respect to phantom on the TRS or the ability to do line in on the xlr?

PS: are you going to either of the UM shows at The National next weekend?. Thinking of doing a road trip.

Both actually - was the Zoom rep here or am I thinking of over on jwsoundgroup.net?   Phantom via TRS/Line via XLR - the current F8 will never be able to do either. I'll have to find the reference and add a pointer.

Edit: This is where Zoom weighed in - I see it's just referring to switching from mic to line via software so maybe I just extrapolated to phantom as well. http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/topic/25217-zoom-f8/&page=7

Concerning UM at The National - not sure yet. Lots of stuff I need to do that weekend but I haven't seen/taped them before so I'm thinking about it.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 01:20:51 AM by Ultfris101 »
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

stevetoney

« Reply #146 on: February 08, 2016, 09:53:17 AM »

Both actually - was the Zoom rep here or am I thinking of over on jwsoundgroup.net?   Phantom via TRS/Line via XLR - the current F8 will never be able to do either. I'll have to find the reference and add a pointer.

Edit: This is where Zoom weighed in - I see it's just referring to switching from mic to line via software so maybe I just extrapolated to phantom as well. http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/topic/25217-zoom-f8/&page=7

Concerning UM at The National - not sure yet. Lots of stuff I need to do that weekend but I haven't seen/taped them before so I'm thinking about it.

Thanks for the link. 

(I'll PM you if I'm going to the UM shows...right now it's much less than 50/50)

stevetoney

« Reply #147 on: February 08, 2016, 10:30:46 AM »
  Phantom via TRS/Line via XLR - the current F8 will never be able to do either. I'll have to find the reference and add a pointer.

Regarding the response about Line In vs Mic In, if you look at the schematic, I can understand their response in terms of hard wiring an analog solution.  However, I don't really understand why they couldn't give us the option of applying a digital pad to any of the input signals.

Another potential option might be apply a digital pad to the Dual Record function, since according to the schematic that resides upstream of the fader split.  It might not be an optimal solution (decreases your inputs from 8 to 4), but for example when invoking the Dual Record add another preset option to make the dual channel with a preset of -20db of gain, effectively changing the input from Mic to Line levels. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 10:38:17 AM by tonedeaf »

stevetoney

« Reply #148 on: February 08, 2016, 10:31:13 AM »
If you absolutely hate using TRS connectors or don't have any available, there's an option available to us right now that everyone should keep in mind.  The two L/R channels can be set up as either pre or post fader, so if you set them up to be post-fader you can apply attenuation to the inputs via the faders.  Now, most will want to use this option if you're only recording two channels of inputs, but if you're running two channels and your inputs are peaking and you have no more headroom on the trim knobs, just make sure you're recording L/R to the SD card and apply attenuation via the fader.  I suppose you could use this option if you're using more than two channels too, but you'd need to do your L/R mixdown on the fly.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 10:33:45 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #149 on: February 08, 2016, 11:24:37 AM »
If you absolutely hate using TRS connectors or don't have any available, there's an option available to us right now that everyone should keep in mind.  The two L/R channels can be set up as either pre or post fader, so if you set them up to be post-fader you can apply attenuation to the inputs via the faders.  Now, most will want to use this option if you're only recording two channels of inputs, but if you're running two channels and your inputs are peaking and you have no more headroom on the trim knobs, just make sure you're recording L/R to the SD card and apply attenuation via the fader.  I suppose you could use this option if you're using more than two channels too, but you'd need to do your L/R mixdown on the fly.

But wait -- I thought "pre or post fader" was only applicable to the mixer outs, not to what gets recorded to the card. Am I wrong on that? Are you suggesting that if you set them up as "post fader" you can somehow lower the input sensitivity of the entire input? That would be useful... just wasn't aware that was how it worked....
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com