Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oade ACM HD-P2... I'm looking for info/description of the mod.... any help?  (Read 4168 times)

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • made with natural flavor
Subject say it.....  I can't find a description on the ACM HD-P2 mod anywhere.  Asked Doug, and he says it's similar to the HDmod HD-P2.....  but didn't get into it very much.

Does anyone out there have any info regarding the ACM mod?  Also, anyone have any idea why Doug stopped doing it? 

I think the ACM V3 leaves the analog input path alone, but upgrades the ADC.  While with ACM mod'd all-in-one boxes, the ACM mod cleans up the analog path but leave the ADC alone.  Does this seem right?  I know that I'm really diggin it...  but where does the ACM HD-P2 stand? 

I'm gonna ask him some more questions, and I'll report back if I get any more info.

Thanks!
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
I'll look around through some of my old paperwork this weekend Guy. When I originally bought the one that I just sold I printed out the description from Doug's website. I think I have it buried somewhere in the mass of paperwork I have.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline yug du nord

You da man Mike.....   thanks!

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
the A>D is not altered in the acm p2, only the pre-amps.
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline yug du nord

Hey Dennis!!!  Thanks for chiming in man....  nice to hear ya! 

So, if running a V2 in front of both an ACM and stock HD-P2....  would I get the same end results?  Not talking about mics....  just the back end.  Or would the ACM be utilized when running line-in from V2 (either XLR or RCA)?? 

I guess that one thing that I'm wondering (without doing any testing first) is if technically speaking....  are there any advantages to running V2 > ACM P2....  or is it the same as running V2 > stock P2?  I know that I should play around and determine for myself....  which I will at some point....  but I'm asking you smart people first.  Thanks!

Offline dennisrtyler

Hey Dennis!!!  Thanks for chiming in man....  nice to hear ya! 

So, if running a V2 in front of both an ACM and stock HD-P2....  would I get the same end results?  Not talking about mics....  just the back end.  Or would the ACM be utilized when running line-in from V2 (either XLR or RCA)?? 

I guess that one thing that I'm wondering (without doing any testing first) is if technically speaking....  are there any advantages to running V2 > ACM P2....  or is it the same as running V2 > stock P2?  I know that I should play around and determine for myself....  which I will at some point....  but I'm asking you smart people first.  Thanks!
well, going xlr in would pass through the acm, i think. going rca in may not. ask Doug specific questions. he has alot to offer. ;)

Offline yug du nord

^^^ I did ask him....  he just told me to run the V2 > stock P2 and run mics straight into ACM P2.....  but didn't go far enough into details for me I guess. 

I'll see what else he'll offer up....  it seems to usually take me a few exchanges with him until I get to where I want to be...   :P 

Offline dennisrtyler

^^^ I did ask him....  he just told me to run the V2 > stock P2 and run mics straight into ACM P2.....  but didn't go far enough into details for me I guess. 

I'll see what else he'll offer up....  it seems to usually take me a few exchanges with him until I get to where I want to be...   :P 
sounds to me like the xlrs and rcas are affected by the acm mod. in that case, yeah run the v2>stock p2.

Offline yug du nord

^^^thanks man!

Offline DeepCreatures

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • DeepCreatures Trading Home Page
thank you guys for the info in this post - very helpful.
Mics: AKG 480s (Ck-61, CK-62, CK-63); SP LSD2; Audix M1280Cs; CA STC-11; CSCs
Pre-Amps: T+ UA-5; W+ UA-5; Bmp2+ UA-5; SD MP-2; CA ST-9000
Recorders: Tascam ACM HD-P2; Sony PCM-D50; Sony M1 (x3); Tascam DA-P1; Sony MZ-RH10; Marantz PMD-430

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
when I got my P2 from Doug he recommended the basic mod as I was going to exclusively use an external pre-amp. I stated that I would be going line-in via the RCA's and his response was that the basic mod was the best for my needs. Apparently, this mod cleaned up the signal path via line-in (but he did state that mic-in would see an improvement as well). So, I got the basic mod and while it does sound good I still always use the AD2K+.
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
When I was shopping recorders with Doug at the beginning of the year, he told me that the unbalanced line inputs on the P2 and the PMD671 were unchanged by the ACM modification. Only the XLR mic inputs are upgraded. That is why he suggested V2>stock P2, because if you are planning on running that combo exclusively, the mods are a waste of money. But, if you would occasionally want to run mics>p2, you should get the ACM to cover you in those instances to improve on the stock preamps.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
iirc

basic = rca mod
advanced concert=warm xlr mod
transparent concert = transparent xlr mod

here is the thing with the p2: either you run xlr in, or you run rca in. the line/mic switch toggles between the rca/xlr output. i know that the xlr in is labeled mic/line, but it is NOT. if you want to run xlr in from a preamp, you engage the pads on the machine (-20db).

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
Sorry I didn't get back to you Guy, I couldn't find it. Looks like these guys got it covered though.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline yug du nord

No sweat Mike.....  smoker last night in Hartford eh!!! 

Doug got back to me and told me that both the RCA and XLR inputs will give the sonics of the ACM.  The ADC path was not touched with the ACM.  The preamp and analog paths were modified.

I seem to get the same signal when running either XLR (mic in switch on, no pad) or RCA.  At least IMO, the ACM P2 is no where close to sounding like the Wmod UA-5.....  Wmod is "warm".....  I consider the ACM "open".  Both have nice sonics, but are quite different IMO.   

edit:  Thanks for the help y'all!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit for quotes:  here's what Doug told me....

..."run the mics directly into the HD-P2 ACM. It is basically a warm MOD that is similar to the HD P2MOD. The P2 has a much better A/D chip than the UA5".

..."the upgrade improves both the XLR and RCA inputs, except for the connector they are the same signal path so will sound the same".

..."run the V2 in front of the stock P2 as the ACM already has good preamps in it".
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 12:28:54 PM by uncleyug »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com