Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mc012 stealth/modded?  (Read 2716 times)

Offline MarkDavidson218

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
mc012 stealth/modded?
« on: January 27, 2005, 05:32:59 PM »
hey,
i don't know if this can happen but is there any way that you could make your mc012 in to actives? like the nak300? just throwing the idea out there.

-mark
mc012> ua-5 > G4 or m1

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: mc012 stealth/modded?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 03:02:30 PM »
It's been discussed, and someone even tried it once.  It didn't work.  Technically, it could be done, but it's neither easy nor cheap.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline tchoub

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 04:06:54 PM »
I knew that making the mk012 was hard but I never heard of someone who tried the modification.
Was there any pics of the modded (and non working) oktava that were posted on this board ?
just curious...

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 04:27:14 PM »
Was there any pics of the modded (and non working) oktava that were posted on this board ?

I forget who tried making the cables, and I don't recall seeing pics here on TS.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 05:07:05 PM »
I remember in one of the previous discussions here that it wasn't possible due to the way the body is designed inside.  I believe it was discussed that a complete redesign of the body would be needed to make this possible. 
mics & cameras

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
    • My Recordings
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 06:19:55 PM »
I bet jk labs could do it, but the price for the cables and box compared to the mics probably wouldn’t be worth it.
Retired Taper

Offline jk labs

• Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2005, 12:20:01 PM »
I bet jk labs could do it, but the price for the cables and box compared to the mics probably wouldn’t be worth it.

I don't have access to my documents now (my main PC literally blew - anyone have a spare Intel P4 478 pins Northwood clocked at 1.8 GHz or better? I though these were surplus and in abundance but apparently not))

From memory:
The MC012 body only has a single center-electrode as far as I remember, so actives running to the body just isn't possible (short of drilling holes in the body. Same problem as with the 480b, SMS2000 and others). But even with holes, the body is still awkward to wire into: it provides a  poor interface for actives. So yes, a power unit of some sort is needed.

Wrt failed attemps:  If you try to wire passively you loose signal so fast you only get a few inches of useful distance.   

Actives:
I am familiar with the mic and it's performance. Not to insult anyone but back when I measured it I wasn't too excited about the capsules. The sample to sample variations were huge as well. So I haven't pursued actives for those capsules (that sounded a little like Mr. Bill Clinton!) But I have amused myself with thinking that technically the -10 dB pads could be transformed into active heads and so allow a lower cost implementation than if machining highly custom parts from scratch.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com