Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Pick Apart My Mastering  (Read 10646 times)

Offline vantheman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Pick Apart My Mastering
« on: December 03, 2019, 06:20:24 PM »
Hi folks, newbie taper here trying to make the most of my Shure MV88/iPhone rig. Was over in Ireland a couple weeks ago and caught a couple of my favorite artists in a tiny venue. I was in the last row of about 20, roughly ear level with the speakers and right next to the soundboard. I taped the mic to the back wall and just let it go. Always recording raw midside.

I tend to record acoustic shows, and I've lately become a huge fan of the "parallel" compression method explained here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=137594.0

Here's a track that I mastered but did not apply any EQ. I tried to pick one that has a little bit of everything they were doing that night. It kinda sounds to me like the vocals could use some work, but don't know what to do or what else might be needed. Overall I'm pretty happy with it, but I want to take my mastering skills to the next level. Oh, and I'm using Audacity currently. I bought a license for Izotope RX7 but I'm on macOS Catalina and will have to wait until they support it.

Anybody want to take a quick listen and let me know what you think?

Mastered with some cleanup in Izotope RX7, parallel compression and gain added in Audacity
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5sjiyazv8ky4pom/08.mp3?dl=0

Unmastered basic stereo mix from raw mid side file
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cep712ukywoh0q1/raw.mp3?dl=0
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 06:02:25 PM by vantheman »
AT U853A (SP-CMC-4U) > SP-SPSB-10 12V > Sony A10
Line Audio CM4/OM1> Sound Devices MixPre6ii or Tascam DR100 mkiii

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Pick Apart My Mastering
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 06:22:26 PM »
It would be helpful if you could post the "unmastered" track for comparison, so we can hear what it sounds like raw.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline vantheman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 06:23:28 PM »
I can do that. Do you want me to give you a processed stereo track with no other edits?

Offline vantheman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 06:36:39 PM »
Here's the original. It's a stereo track processed from the raw midside recording. All I did was drop the sides by 3db to narrow the stereo image slightly, as I did this on the mastered track as well:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cep712ukywoh0q1/raw.mp3?dl=0
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 06:42:08 PM by vantheman »

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 09:04:53 AM »
I like both version, the difference is little. Maybe I prefer original version, the edited version sounds to me too high in treble (I am listening on headphones). But I don't have a good hearing. Better make your choice. Adjust the same volume and switch the versions during playback.

Offline vantheman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 11:28:25 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I’m not wildly off track haha. I’ve been super impressed by the Shure MV88, and so far I’m really enjoying taping certain shows that would otherwise be lost to the ether. I’d be tempted to start thinking about upgrading my rig, but this little mic allows me to do things that would be much harder to get away with using another rig, mounting the mic to the wall in this case.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 12:00:24 PM »
With an upgraded stealth rig you could still get all of those shows.  Lots of us on here are doing that. 

Offline vantheman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 02:02:08 PM »
With an upgraded stealth rig you could still get all of those shows.  Lots of us on here are doing that.

What should I be looking at for super stealth upgrades? I'd prefer not to go with binaural mics at this stage...

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 05:57:24 PM »

What should I be looking at for super stealth upgrades? I'd prefer not to go with binaural mics at this stage...

Probably something like DPA 4060 or 4061 and a DPA dvice
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 08:43:47 PM »
the MV88 will pull fine recordings for you. Sure, you can always upgrade - but the MV88 is a pretty solid little device.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 09:58:56 PM »

Those are omni/binaural, no?

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2019, 11:23:20 AM »

A rig of Schoeps MK4/41 caps, actives, BabyNBox and a Sony A10/M10, Roland R-09 or Tascam DR-2D would be my go-to super stealth rig.   

Online Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2019, 09:42:31 PM »

Those are omni/binaural, no?

They are omni-directional microphones. Binaural is a technique where you need to put a solid object between the caps (usually your head).

If you don't want omni's (I prefer them in more stealth situations, especially if you mostly go to GA shows), DPA also makes some small card options. I have the DPA 4080's and they are pretty nice.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline kuba e

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2019, 06:01:01 AM »
Whether to upgrade mics it depends on what you want to improve and what you like. I am recording very little, but I see that my assessment of recordings is changing. I perceive slowly more and more aspects that I was not aware of before. I think the best is to record, listen to other recordings and compare (there are many recordings on LMA). After, it is easy to decide whether you want to upgrade or not.

Schoeps actives is dream setup. Dpa are also great mics.  If you are taping occasional you can try cheaper gear too. Sometimes it may also be better to learn with cheaper rig how to handle it. Any mistake doesn't hurt so much. A lot of people including me are using Chris Church's mics or Audio technica electrets as starter. When you decide to upgrade your iphone rig you also need to get a preamp and recorder (or recorder and battery box). You can find a lot of information about mics, preamps and recorders here in the taperssection.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 06:02:56 AM by kuba e »

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2019, 12:21:07 PM »
Whether to upgrade mics it depends on what you want to improve and what you like. I am recording very little, but I see that my assessment of recordings is changing. I perceive slowly more and more aspects that I was not aware of before. I think the best is to record, listen to other recordings and compare (there are many recordings on LMA). After, it is easy to decide whether you want to upgrade or not.

Schoeps actives is dream setup. Dpa are also great mics.  If you are taping occasional you can try cheaper gear too. Sometimes it may also be better to learn with cheaper rig how to handle it. Any mistake doesn't hurt so much. A lot of people including me are using Chris Church's mics or Audio technica electrets as starter. When you decide to upgrade your iphone rig you also need to get a preamp and recorder (or recorder and battery box). You can find a lot of information about mics, preamps and recorders here in the taperssection.

Excellent post

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.211 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com