Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Low levels...  (Read 10166 times)

Offline hippies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
Re:Low levels...
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2003, 05:47:27 PM »
you need to set levels in the VX s/w.  then SF will recieve a digi signal path.  i mispoke earlier.  certainly you should have more than 6db of gain to play with in the mixer you describe.  

i've never used the VX, but isn't there a dialog box where you make your choices?...  sample rate, input source, etc?  when selecting analog input, i would think a level slider would then be provided.  if this is done through the mixer, then fine.  if you are getting an error message saying something about using windows volume control, then you don't have the proper soundcard selected within Windows.

yes, this prolly shoulda went in the Computer Recording, but we're here now, an you didn't know what the problem was to begin with...

no big deal...

we're here to help, no matter what forum ya throw it up in... hehe...

~S  

Yeah, the Analog In slider in the control panel for the VX gives me 12dB total (+/-6db) of gain that I can apply. I'm using the Wave driver as SoundForge doesn't support ASIO. In regards to selecting sample rate and bit depth, this is done in SoundForge when I make a new recording. Last night I tried both 24/48 and 16/44.1 with the same results. Moving the level for the analog input in the VX Control Panel also moves the slider in the generic Windows mixer for the card.

I don't get any error messages, SoundForge simply doesn't have any kind of internal fade controls - This is straight from Sonic Foundry to use the Windows mixer to control input levels.

I guess I wonder if I should play around with some other apps to see if that will fix (although I kinda doubt it) my problems.

if selecting a sample rate/ bit depth within SF, then SF IS NOT recieving a digi signal path.  although i use neither of these devices/ Apps anymore, i know for a fact that one can utilize the VX A/D (which sux) or the SF software AD (which is better)...  i just wanted you to try different configs to see what happens with each as a test...  ;)

~S

Offline mirth

• Needs to get out more...
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2003, 05:58:49 PM »
Aha. In that case, then I think I'd have to be using the ASIO drivers and a different app as Sound Forge doesn't do ASIO. At least, I think... not at home by my rig at the moment.

I've talked to a couple buddies since starting this thread who have used the VX's analog input in the past & they've confirmed the suckiness of its preamp stage. Seems like the universal answer I get is to pick up an external pre. :-/

I'll do some more poking around at home tonight & post results.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline mirth

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2003, 07:11:34 AM »
Scott,

Thought you'd be interested to know that my levels appear to be much more acceptable using WaveLab and ASIO versus Sound Forge and WDM.

Can't tell for sure, though. My machine keeps locking up shortly after I press record... Ah well, guess I need research that problem now.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2003, 09:55:19 AM »
d'oh!   >:(

Offline mirth

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2003, 11:17:18 AM »
Yeah, tell me about it... I don't know if my machine has enough horsepower to do 24/48 or if theres something else going on...

Guess I'll try 16/44.1 tonight and go from there.

Offline RastaFish

• Taperssection Regular
  • RastaFish Vibration, yeeaaah....Positive!
    • music to trade!
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2003, 02:52:31 PM »
When I was experiencing almost the same problem with my c1000's, I ended up getting a pair of line transformers.  It did solve my problem...

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2003, 03:39:39 PM »
Transformers will definately fix teh problem with low levels. When I had the odler black c1000s I had a custom xlr>stereo mini cable made. and it worked great never had issues with low record levels after that. Friends had the silver ones and everyone had to run transformers.
Hope this helps.
Rob
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2003, 04:12:40 PM »
somebody better get some transformers....... ;)

bean
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline mirth

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2003, 05:29:54 PM »
Thanks for all the hints guys, but I wonder about this whole transformer thing.... Aren't they supposed to be used to go from low impedance (mic) to high impedance (recording device - in my case happens to be a VX Pocket in my laptop). According to Digigram, the VX Pocket's inputs are +10 dBu/Ohm > 10 kOhm

Is this considered high or low impedance?

Also, when I use the ASIO driver versus the MME driver for the card, I get much better sound levels.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com