Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Pre out to my active sub?  (Read 2956 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Pre out to my active sub?
« on: December 05, 2004, 05:50:29 PM »
I borrowed an old Carver reciever (thanks Darrin!) to use for awhile and only the "B" speaker outputs work. I'd like to be able to run my (active) sub and was wondering if it was possible to use the pre outs for this. I seem to remember that I can but I'm not positive. Thanks guys  :)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Jason B

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Pre out to my active sub?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 08:16:47 PM »
I borrowed an old Carver reciever (thanks Darrin!) to use for awhile and only the "B" speaker outputs work. I'd like to be able to run my (active) sub and was wondering if it was possible to use the pre outs for this. I seem to remember that I can but I'm not positive. Thanks guys  :)

Some receivers will only activate the pre sub out when the unit is in surround mode. I had a Technics receiver that was this way. I had to run a left and right speaker level feed to the speaker level inputs on the sub for two channel music.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 01:07:07 AM »
+T in 12

no surround option on this beast...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Jason B

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 07:21:34 AM »
+T in 12

no surround option on this beast...

I am guessing it should be active all the time then.  :)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 11:10:10 AM »
The pre out is always how I hook up my subwoofer.  Done it with three different amps so far and it always works great.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 02:42:30 PM »
I have an Adcom pre with with 2 outputs, one lab and one normal. Always use the normal out for my 2 channel amp. But I can use the lab out for an active pre, no? If that's doable I may just scrap that bi-amp idea in another post I just made.

Offline itsmyforte

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 08:58:25 PM »
I have an Adcom pre with with 2 outputs, one lab and one normal. Always use the normal out for my 2 channel amp. But I can use the lab out for an active pre, no? If that's doable I may just scrap that bi-amp idea in another post I just made.

the lab output is for balanced connection.  it will work just fine for pre-outs to anything.

to the original poster, if its an old reciever they sometimes have a "center" channel pre-out, this would work since back then they fed out full range.  this is ofcourse assuming your sub has its own low-pass crossover.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com