Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Virtual Machine software  (Read 2318 times)

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Virtual Machine software
« on: March 03, 2018, 03:32:48 AM »
I recently read about VM software that acted more as a shell and allowed multiple OSes to run simultaneously without having to reboot. It was pay-ware and unlike most VM software there was no need to pre-allocate HDD space to dual/tri-boot or run in a native environment. Supposedly you can game on WIN with full hardware acceleration, slim down to *Nix for speed (which is my primary DAW) and still be able to dick around with BSD, Haiku, etc. just for giggles.

I think I read about it here. Anyone have a clue?   :shrug: The idea of seamlessly switching between multiple OSes has me intrigued...

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Virtual Machine software
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 09:09:34 AM »
VirtualBox? Parallels?
Or do you have OS level based virtualisation / containers (e.g. Docker) in mind?

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 10:11:47 PM »
VirtualBox? Parallels?
Or do you have OS level based virtualisation / containers (e.g. Docker) in mind?

Thank you for your response. I was able to search my browser history and found it. https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover-17.

I think it is OS level based. Supposedly doesn't use as much resources as a VM software.

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 12:00:54 AM »
Actually, Crossover is not a VM software. It's an emulator.
(In fact, it's the commercial branch of the wine project.)

If I remember correctly, there's a list of supported applications / versions and their status (gold/silver/bronze) for wine. I suspect there's an equivalent for the commercial version. Probably worth cross-checking first before you buy a license.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com