Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fave budget mixers  (Read 10193 times)

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Fave budget mixers
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2006, 01:29:09 PM »
I know a couple of big time location guys that could use anything they want to use for preamps, but use the mackie VLZs. One of which is Marc Aubort, who is a legendary classical location guy..
next time you see him tell him to lay off the crack.   ;D

matt
:D

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2006, 02:18:30 PM »
That sounds very strange to me. Someone that, I assume, has access to most anything he wants would pick the Mackie VLZ.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RebelRebel

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2006, 02:51:14 PM »
That sounds very strange to me. Someone that, I assume, has access to most anything he wants would pick the Mackie VLZ.

Yep. One of the guys is a head engineer at DENON, and Marc Aubort is the other. The denon guy says they sound good, are portable, and cheap. A good engineer can get great results out of most gear. I found it strange too, but also smiled a little at the fact that some people think that gear upgrades will automatically make everything better.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2006, 04:25:29 PM »
maybe he does a rebuild on the preamps, or has a pair of Grace 801's in front of the sucker, or has a severe earwax problem... or like you say, maybe he gets off on making things sound good with minimal help from gear.  Kinda like the pleasure of riding a $50 moped around the world or something.   ;D

matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

RebelRebel

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2006, 04:32:20 PM »
maybe he does a rebuild on the preamps, or has a pair of Grace 801's in front of the sucker, or has a severe earwax problem... or like you say, maybe he gets off on making things sound good with minimal help from gear.  Kinda like the pleasure of riding a $50 moped around the world or something.   ;D

matt

Yep, that reminds me of Kavi Alexander. He has abandoned all his tube recording gear, and now runs a considerably cheaper true systems pre>>>sd 722. His recordings have lost nothing. Great gear is just the icing on the cake when you are those guys.

Offline esteyes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2006, 02:25:41 AM »
Anyone ever used a Soundcraft Spirit Notepad? They look pretty nice. Maybe not the monitor capabilities of the Compact4 but it's amazingly small for all they cram into it. http://www.soundcraft.com/product_sheet.asp?product_id=1

i used its predessor the Spirit Folio Lite for a long time. then moved to a Shure FP33 (3ch), and then 6 mo's later to the Sony DMX-P01 (4ch). the only drawback to the Folio is that the wall wart is a bi-polar supply, ie +/- 15v. back when i bought mine, there were few DC-DC convertors available unlike today. so i used a Zapco PX power supply (i was big into car audio back then, well much bigger than now) and i mounted a Switchcraft miniGQ connector to the mixer and an On/Off switch right next to the factory input connector. Wired the +15v to the pos rail right after rectifier and the -15v to the neg rail after the rect.and the ground to the board's bipolar ground. ran the whole thing off a 10AH 12v SLA and never ran out at a show.

i liked it a lot and made some great tapes with it. it did not have true +48v phantom but it did have a nice loud headphones out. looks like the Compact4 is pretty cool and if they did actually step up to a true +48pp, then maybe the unit has a fully bipolar power supply as well - that would make a difference to me - +/-15 = 30v peak-to-peak swing vs only 12volts from a single ended 12v supply... bummer that it is only 2mic in...

anyway...
my two cents
nism
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
AKG 460's + CK61/CK63 or A60M + CK1/CK8/CK9  or MK46/CK1X/CK8X
Sennheiser K3U + MKE-2, ME20, ME40, ME80, ME88
Sennheiser MKH 110/2 x2 + MKH 110/1 powered via custom battbox
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Shure FP33 or Sony DMX P01
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1
stealth: M1 > MKE-2/ME 20/ME40 in the hat
all cabling LINK (made in Germany) balanced or balanced miniature w/ Neutrik ends

making custom cables and serviceable (non-epoxy) ultraflush right angle cables plus other custom projects

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com