Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie needing preamp, mike help  (Read 4782 times)

Offline laptaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Newbie needing preamp, mike help
« on: August 27, 2006, 07:37:23 PM »
Okay, after years on the periphery of the taping scene as a patcher, I find myself being inexorably sucked into the vortex of actual mike taping.  I just ordered a Tascam HD-P2; while I've read some good independent reviews of its preamps, I've also read that they're better suited for 16 bit than 24 bit recording.  What are some good preamps I should look at (especially any that use internal batteries, I don't want to lug around a huge battery pack)?  What about mikes (again, internally powered preferred)?  Is there a good faq here or elsewhere that I can read through that will give me an idea of what are the criteria for "good" mikes and preamps?  Thanks a lot.

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Newbie needing preamp, mike help
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 12:44:46 AM »
I just ordered a Tascam HD-P2; while I've read some good independent reviews of its preamps, I've also read that they're better suited for 16 bit than 24 bit recording. 

i would be interested in reading the article you read that said that about being better suited for 16 bit if you have a link
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline laptaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 01:05:38 AM »
jcrabb, the article's at http://www.dv.com/columns/columns_item.jhtml?category=Hardware&articleId=190500070.  I noticed the UA5>HD-P2 in your sig.  How's the UA5 as a preamp?  What input are you using to connect it to the HD-P2?  Can you connect it via USB so that it's powering through the USB connection and you don't need phantom power?  Thanks.

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 10:23:39 PM »
I have never used the UA-5 personally, but I m pretty sure you can't power the unit via the USB.  It also has a digital coax connection.  The UA-5 is an awesome all-in-one Pre-AD combo.  Very popular in these parts.

Jesse
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 10:27:05 PM by Max Power »
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline laptaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 12:32:34 AM »
Thanks.  Plus, the HD-P2 doesn't have a USB input in the first place - my bad.  ::)  Meanwhile, I've gotten a slightly better grip on the whole idea of phantom power, so... is there a good combination of phantom powerable mikes > phantom capable, internal battery-powered preamp?  Thanks again.

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 01:11:33 AM »
I use a  minime and run 24/48 into a HDP2 at the moment, I could do 24/96 just choose not too till I switch to DVD audio.  I can tell you the HDP2 is top notch.  It works flawlessly. It will record to 8gig cards without any hocus pocus of having to format them in a computer first.  It does flawless splits at any setting up to 2 gigs.  It is easy to use and set up.  I love it....
I haven't found a single bug.
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline laptaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 01:55:29 AM »
That's good to know about the HD-P2.  Unfortunately the Mini-me is about twice what I'm willing to spend on a preamp, plus it requires external power.  Have you tried using the HD-P2's preamps, and if so, how much of a drain was the phantom power to the mikes on your batteries?

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 09:58:06 AM »
If you want a self contained all in one box with great preamps, go with the Oade Advanced Concert Mod Marantz PMD 671.  24-Bit and sounds great, does the works.  Go with the ACM PMD 660 if you only need 16 bit.
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 12:18:30 PM »
That's good to know about the HD-P2.  Unfortunately the Mini-me is about twice what I'm willing to spend on a preamp, plus it requires external power.  Have you tried using the HD-P2's preamps, and if so, how much of a drain was the phantom power to the mikes on your batteries?

Sorry, no I haven't....It is mainly used as a bit bucket.  I do know of a freind who used it as a all in one when his V3 went down.  He didn't have any complaints about it.  He said the recording was fine/clean, no issues.

If you are looking for a all in one box that sounds amazing and you are not concerned with doing 24 bit, I would take a serious look at the Oade ACM 660.  That little box sounds amazing, just add mics and you have a sweet sounding little rig. ;D
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline laptaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 03:03:21 PM »
Your friend, was he taping in 24 bit?  If so I might just skip the preamp route and mike in directly to the HD-P2, it would save some major samolians.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 11:58:32 PM »
If you already have the HD-P2, I'd suggest running mic-in (i.e. using the HD-P2's phantom, preamp, and ADC) and see how you like it.  You may like it just fine and not need to worry about spending more cash.  And if you don't care for it mic-in, at least you'll have a baseline for how it sounds and may make a more informed decision about what gear to get in order to achieve the sound you're seeking.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 12:01:04 AM »
Your friend, was he taping in 24 bit?  If so I might just skip the preamp route and mike in directly to the HD-P2, it would save some major samolians.

yep he is a major moe taper  >:D, who shall remain nameless, unless he wants to throw his 2 cents in...
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline laptaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 12:16:53 AM »
I'm starting to come to that conclusion myself (although the UA-5 is starting to look good, especially if I can use one of those small Eco-Charge batteries I've seen on sonicsense.com).  I'm going to have to go to one or two more festivals and start picking mikers' brains.  *yech!* ;-)  Thanks for the feedback.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 12:36:31 AM »
especially if I can use one of those small Eco-Charge batteries I've seen on sonicsense.com

FWIW, it's pretty easy to build your own 6v / 12v SLA power source for all of about $20-$30.  Alternatively, the UA5 is easily powered with a < $50 9v rechargeable li-ion battery.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline laptaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 05:09:38 AM »
Can you point me to any websites that explain how to do that?  The li-ion battery, is that the kind of thing you can pick up at Batteries Plus, and how do you rig it up to plug into a UA-5?  Thanks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.199 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com