Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Pre-amp settings question  (Read 1921 times)

Offline dcbullet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • SF, CA
Pre-amp settings question
« on: October 06, 2006, 11:40:48 AM »
Hi:

I'm pretty new to this stuff and have read the FAQs quite a few threads.  I would like to confirm I understand correctly a couple things and have a question.

First, I have a Church-Audio STC9000.  It has a switch with 0 / +10db / +30db settings.  If I understand correctly, gain is used to increase the signal from the mics into the recorder.  Therefore, I would use the +10db or +30db if I was at a quiet or moderate volume show, but if at a loud show, would keep it at 0db.  Is this correct?

Secondly, this preamp has a knob which is labeled "Audio Level."  It has an "Off" detent, I presume, and thereafter has slightly less than 360 degrees of travel.  Is this another method of adjusting gain?  I'm a little confused on this one, and the interaction between this knob and the gain switch.

Thanks in advance for any help.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 11:42:58 AM by dcbullet »

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Pre-amp settings question
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 11:51:44 AM »
The switch is select between gain ranges.  The knob is to adjust between those ranges...

yes, 0db/low for loud stuff.  I actually use the low setting for everything.  I only would use the high range for recording nature sounds....
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline dcbullet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • SF, CA
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 06:49:53 PM »
Thank you.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 06:30:00 PM »
Hi:

I'm pretty new to this stuff and have read the FAQs quite a few threads.  I would like to confirm I understand correctly a couple things and have a question.

First, I have a Church-Audio STC9000.  It has a switch with 0 / +10db / +30db settings.  If I understand correctly, gain is used to increase the signal from the mics into the recorder.  Therefore, I would use the +10db or +30db if I was at a quiet or moderate volume show, but if at a loud show, would keep it at 0db.  Is this correct?

Secondly, this preamp has a knob which is labeled "Audio Level."  It has an "Off" detent, I presume, and thereafter has slightly less than 360 degrees of travel.  Is this another method of adjusting gain?  I'm a little confused on this one, and the interaction between this knob and the gain switch.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am really sorry I did not see this post! If you have any questions about your preamp let me know.

Chris Church
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com