Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs...  (Read 83283 times)

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
Re: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs...
« Reply #315 on: July 15, 2008, 09:59:30 AM »

When you are dealing with children with cerebral palsy and autism they possess very fast tendon reflexes which actually make them more ' jumpy" then the average folk.  And it is the sound of the shutter that make them jump.  I also have a point and shoot canon S5IS which is much quieter and they tend to jump much less. yes these kids are that quick and then the anticipation on top of that.  Anxiety is held in the body and represents itself as upper motor neuron jerky movements due to sensitivity to sound.  The autofocus is relatively quiet. its when i engage the shutter all the way and the kids tend to jump

help me

Is it possible to mask the sound of the camera with background noise, perhaps a fan?
...or music?   :D
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Frank in JC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
« Reply #316 on: July 15, 2008, 11:10:16 AM »

When you are dealing with children with cerebral palsy and autism they possess very fast tendon reflexes which actually make them more ' jumpy" then the average folk.  And it is the sound of the shutter that make them jump.  I also have a point and shoot canon S5IS which is much quieter and they tend to jump much less. yes these kids are that quick and then the anticipation on top of that.  Anxiety is held in the body and represents itself as upper motor neuron jerky movements due to sensitivity to sound.  The autofocus is relatively quiet. its when i engage the shutter all the way and the kids tend to jump

help me

Is it possible to mask the sound of the camera with background noise, perhaps a fan?

I thought music might be as distracting as a camera shutter, but white noise...

Besides, who listens to music?   ;D
Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #317 on: July 15, 2008, 11:28:28 AM »

help me

I thought music might be as distracting as a camera shutter, but white noise...

Besides, who listens to music?   ;D

that is what i am trying now, is the music.  Just some background music lightly so the shutter does not appear as " suprising" sound when the picture is taken.   You would not believe how supersensitive some of the kids are.  so the music is not distracting it works by making the shutter NOt appear so loud or shocking as there is more ambient sound in the room

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #318 on: July 15, 2008, 05:24:55 PM »
If that's the case then a Point and Shoot is what you should be looking for.  A Canon G9 is an excellent one.

The only truly silent cameras with a shutter are rangefinders since they have a different type, cloth rather than a mirror.  If you wanted to go into film you can pick one up rather cheap, however with digital there are only two options and the cheapest is about $2200 without a lens.

mics & cameras

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #319 on: July 16, 2008, 06:48:54 PM »
I was gonna suggest music too, or even talking through the snap to try to take their minds off of it.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #320 on: July 16, 2008, 07:03:35 PM »
I was gonna suggest music too, or even talking through the snap to try to take their minds off of it.

Yeah, that is what i am trying now.  Also if i take my face away from the back of the camera and kinda say hello quietly it kind of gets their " mind" off of the anticipation of the shot, although i have to make sure i am really steady with my hand to get a good shot--just more practice

thank you for the advice, it is well received

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #321 on: July 17, 2008, 09:26:14 AM »

Yeah, that is what i am trying now.  Also if i take my face away from the back of the camera and kinda say hello quietly it kind of gets their " mind" off of the anticipation of the shot, although i have to make sure i am really steady with my hand to get a good shot--just more practice

thank you for the advice, it is well received

tripod and timer!!!

sounds like very interesting and challenging work, I'm a little envious!
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #322 on: July 17, 2008, 11:36:11 AM »
I was thinking what you were thinking, a timer, or even wireless remote, I know focus might be an issue but i can just fill up the CF card and see what i get.

i also may go to the 70-200IS lens so i can step back a little further.

It really amazes me how sensitive some of the kids are.  Now its anticipation from some of the kids.  I mean its not like i am right in their face.  some of there " little" movements are so fast--it really is like sport shooting.

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #323 on: July 17, 2008, 05:31:47 PM »
im telling you, you are going to kick yourself most likely if you buy on fleabay for this stuff, its worth paying a touch more over at fm and getting something you know is going to be good.

Buying anything on ebay does, of course, entail some level of risk, but I wouldn't be overly worried or skeptical necessarily.  I recently bought a Canon 40D w/28-135mm lens on ebay during the cashback savings (for a total of $900) from a seemingly reputable seller, and everything was good as described.  I would just make sure when buying on ebay to check out their feedback, especially regarding similar items, read carefully the description of b-stock, refurb, warranty, etc., and buy with paypal using a credit card.  You're pretty safe then even if you got something not as described.  Love my 40d, at least so far.  8)

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #324 on: July 22, 2008, 05:20:21 PM »
Finally getting around to uploading a couple of shots taken with my 30D and Tamron lenses.  The first is with the 17-50mm and the second is with the 70-200mm.
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

stirinthesauce

« Reply #325 on: July 23, 2008, 08:09:00 AM »
Shane, fabulous shots!

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #326 on: July 23, 2008, 09:10:45 AM »
Shane, fabulous shots!

Thanks Jon.
I wish the fireworks smoke would have been blowing away from the camera instead of right to left, but it is what it is.
+T
AUDIO:

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

stirinthesauce

« Reply #327 on: July 24, 2008, 12:13:37 AM »
backatcha buddy.  Fireworks shots are fun

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #328 on: July 24, 2008, 10:23:00 AM »
backatcha buddy.  Fireworks shots are fun

Here is the shot that I was discussing in the PM.  I'm going to approach a few of those home owners to see if they would be interested in purchasing a print.  A couple of those places are million dollar homes, so they would probably be interested in a $75-$100 large print to have matted & framed.
AUDIO:

VISUAL:

stirinthesauce

« Reply #329 on: July 24, 2008, 10:38:25 AM »
Nice!

Selling art of local stuff (like that) to the 2nd home owners is an easy mark.  I know, I do it all the time  ;D 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com