Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs...  (Read 83658 times)

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs...
« Reply #195 on: November 18, 2007, 08:47:39 AM »
sweet!  +t

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #196 on: December 02, 2007, 10:24:43 AM »
Last night's José González show. Amazing performance, not my best night with the camera though. Particularly tough place to shoot. Nice venue though.

And from the opener's set. Guy/band was Cass McCombs. Didn't like 'em. Like this shot though.

Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #197 on: December 03, 2007, 11:32:30 AM »
Ryan, those look great!  nice shots.
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #198 on: December 07, 2007, 03:22:17 PM »
Thank you!
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #199 on: December 22, 2007, 11:17:14 PM »
well, out on quite a hike today to shoot a waterfall I haven't been to in about 4 years.  Horsepound Falls in Collins Gulf, at Savage Gulf State Park.  About a 2.5 mile hike of rockhopping down a rugged trail, dropping about 800' in elevation.  The falls are unique in that it rushes over the side and disappears underground, only to reappear further "downstream" or rather down the dry bed.  Here I was at the base of the falls with the water disappearing at my feet.  Lens was a Tokina 12-24 ATX, iso 100, f22, shutter speed of 1.3", 12mm.  Have some other ones but I really liked this particular one.  No cropping, just some minor tweaks.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 11:20:53 PM by stirinthesauce »

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
« Reply #200 on: December 23, 2007, 05:00:47 PM »
well, out on quite a hike today to shoot a waterfall I haven't been to in about 4 years.  Horsepound Falls in Collins Gulf, at Savage Gulf State Park.  About a 2.5 mile hike of rockhopping down a rugged trail, dropping about 800' in elevation.  The falls are unique in that it rushes over the side and disappears underground, only to reappear further "downstream" or rather down the dry bed.  Here I was at the base of the falls with the water disappearing at my feet.  Lens was a Tokina 12-24 ATX, iso 100, f22, shutter speed of 1.3", 12mm.  Have some other ones but I really liked this particular one.  No cropping, just some minor tweaks.

Nice!  I've always wanted to shoot a waterfall... thinking about it just the other day in fact.

That place is definitely worth another trip at peak lighting, but it's probably a small window of opportunity considering the relative elevation.  Nature photographers make that part look so easy, don't they?
Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

stirinthesauce

« Reply #201 on: December 23, 2007, 05:33:09 PM »
thanks.   :)  Would like to go back in late spring when the greens are out for some color in the background.  Sky was nasty and overcast all day yesterday so it gave nice neutral lighting.  If the sky was nice and blue, I would only be able to catch it at the right time for the contrast and for proper exposure on the waterfall.  Difficult for sure.  Would be better to do this again I think on an overnight expedition, I have a feeling that morinings would be great here when the sun is up, sky is blue, but the direct sunlight has not reached the valley floor yet.

Lots of waterfalls in this area of Tennessee.  Been a big drought since summer so no sense until now to get back out shooting those.  Does take all day however as some of these falls are rather remote and take alot of hiking.  Hiking out of this one was a bitch, 2.5miles of switchbacks, rockhopping, and going up. 

Here's another perspective, from the side of the falls.  You can see at the base where the pool is and disappears.  The log/tree sticking straight out was lodged up under the waterfall sticking out.  I have no idea the amount of force that would make it lodge in the side of the cliff as it is a good 25' off the ground.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 05:38:42 PM by stirinthesauce »

stirinthesauce

« Reply #202 on: December 23, 2007, 06:00:06 PM »
Here's one more for some size comparison.  My brother in law is standing at the top of the falls shooting me shooting him.

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
« Reply #203 on: December 23, 2007, 06:45:53 PM »
Since you didn't mess around with these, I couldn't help but try these crops.  (I tweaked the curves as well.)

Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

stirinthesauce

« Reply #204 on: December 29, 2007, 10:43:17 AM »
any 5d users here besides mmmatt?  I've read all the reviews on fredmiranda and talked to other folks.  Been thinking about an upgrade to a 40d but now thinking why not make the jump to a full frame sensor w/ 12.8mp.  Yes, quite a bit more money, however, I can get a new one for an screaming deal from my bro-in-law out in LA.  I figure, sell my body along with the 12-24 i will no longer need going to a full frame, the jump could be rather painless in the not so distant future.

Anyone with hands on experience?

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #205 on: December 29, 2007, 03:48:05 PM »
any 5d users here besides mmmatt?  I've read all the reviews on fredmiranda and talked to other folks.  Been thinking about an upgrade to a 40d but now thinking why not make the jump to a full frame sensor w/ 12.8mp.  Yes, quite a bit more money, however, I can get a new one for an screaming deal from my bro-in-law out in LA.  I figure, sell my body along with the 12-24 i will no longer need going to a full frame, the jump could be rather painless in the not so distant future.

If you have the money, I'd go for the 5D. As someone with a 30d who will eventually upgrade, I wish I had just bought one from the start. Also, is that 12-24 an EFS lens, if not, I'd keep it, 12-24 on a full frame will be freakin' awesome for certain occasions (one of the main reasons I'd get a 5D in the first place, heh).
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

stirinthesauce

« Reply #206 on: December 29, 2007, 05:09:55 PM »

If you have the money, I'd go for the 5D. As someone with a 30d who will eventually upgrade, I wish I had just bought one from the start. Also, is that 12-24 an EFS lens, if not, I'd keep it, 12-24 on a full frame will be freakin' awesome for certain occasions (one of the main reasons I'd get a 5D in the first place, heh).

The 12-24 is the Tokina ATX, it is an efs lens so it will go.  Sucks too because that lens is tack fucking sharp and the color contrast is amazing.  I highly recommend it for anyone that needs a superwide on a canon crop sensor back.  Shooting an old 20d that I scored with less than 1000 actuations.  Only about 7000 on it now so it is still basically new.  Fantastic body as is even for the age but I'm starting to get in situations where I need to have prints really big where the limitations may be come apparent, especially with cropping.  And of course the real reason, which is I like pro gear cause I'm a helpless slut  :P  (there, said it)

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #207 on: December 30, 2007, 02:28:59 AM »

I bought a 5D two months ago now right after the price dropped. I think I paid just under 2100$. If you can afford it, and you have the chance at a good deal, I wouldn't hesitate. Low light photography shooting at 1600 with the 5D still looks amazing.   
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 10:25:35 AM by neutrino »
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline moewu4u

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #208 on: January 01, 2008, 01:51:40 PM »

My wife is a professional photographer and she has the 5D and shoots concerts now (just started and has only shot 5 so far)...here is what she says:

If you have the $$ go 5D the colors that come out of the full frame sensor are amazing.  It is also better at the higher ISOs which you need.  You can even go up to 3200 by using a special setting and going to H on the ISO. But also look at the Ignamic (spelling) Noisewear it is worth its weight in gold. For concerts I like to shoot wide many times and you really need the full frame sensor to take advantage of the wide lens also you can get the 50 1.4 for cheap as well as the 28 1.8 each for under $400 each and both are sharp as you will get without getting L lens - the nice thing about having the primes is you have the wider aperture and when you are shooting in low light it is great to really open up the lens and shoot.  Right now you can get it at Costco for dirt cheap and at BH photo for around 2K.  There are rumors that Cannon will be releasing a new version of the 5D and I am excited about what they are going to do with the ISOs and noise especially after the Nikon 3D release which is just unreal.

I just shared with her this site and will be on soon.  Let me know if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 01:54:14 PM by moewu4u »

stirinthesauce

« Reply #209 on: January 01, 2008, 02:33:06 PM »

My wife is a professional photographer and she has the 5D and shoots concerts now (just started and has only shot 5 so far)...here is what she says:

If you have the $$ go 5D the colors that come out of the full frame sensor are amazing.  It is also better at the higher ISOs which you need.  You can even go up to 3200 by using a special setting and going to H on the ISO. But also look at the Ignamic (spelling) Noisewear it is worth its weight in gold. For concerts I like to shoot wide many times and you really need the full frame sensor to take advantage of the wide lens also you can get the 50 1.4 for cheap as well as the 28 1.8 each for under $400 each and both are sharp as you will get without getting L lens - the nice thing about having the primes is you have the wider aperture and when you are shooting in low light it is great to really open up the lens and shoot.  Right now you can get it at Costco for dirt cheap and at BH photo for around 2K.  There are rumors that Cannon will be releasing a new version of the 5D and I am excited about what they are going to do with the ISOs and noise especially after the Nikon 3D release which is just unreal.

I just shared with her this site and will be on soon.  Let me know if you have any questions.

I've got the L glass covered and my wides.  The 20d I shoot also goes to iso 3200, though it is extremely noisy.  Thank god for noiseware, that thing works like a charm.  Pretty much made up my mind to get one, just have to save some coin.  Just looking for some hands on experience from some folks on here as opposed to all the reviews I've read.  Think my mind is made up  :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com