Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs...  (Read 83654 times)

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs...
« Reply #210 on: January 02, 2008, 01:29:31 PM »
Here's one I'm happy with.  This is gonna get printed and framed for sale.  Lot of demand in the area for this landmark, I've sold several of these from a little different angle and the sun setting behind it.  This one is shot on a 30d at iso 200, 30 second shutter speed at f8.0 on a sigma ex dg 24-70 on the 28th of December at around 9:30 at night.  The fog had just rolled through which left a little mist which gave the setting a little eery type of look. 

The resize:

« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 01:40:54 PM by stirinthesauce »

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #211 on: January 02, 2008, 03:44:19 PM »
excellent shot!  good color variation for so late in the season!
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

stirinthesauce

« Reply #212 on: January 02, 2008, 04:30:01 PM »
excellent shot!  good color variation for so late in the season!

Thanks BJ.  :) The leaves seem to stay on some of the lower branches.  Wind can't get to them and knock em off I guess  :-\  I was suprised with the color myself.  The long exposure helped as with the lighting.  All I did was boost the saturation a bit.  I shot that cross 6 days earlier at dusk and the lack of colors had me thinking I shot BW at first.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #213 on: January 02, 2008, 05:04:58 PM »
Honestly, I would do a limited # of prints.  I think you could make some money based on the theme alone.  then add in the "limited" and print.  why sell once, what you can sell 500 times?  :P
I am assuming it is a known landmark in the area?  if so..I think you are golden.  Go to some churches in the area, tell them about the prints, and let them know you will donate 25% back to each church.  if you sell 500...the churches get some money, and you get more!  It might only take one larger church...I don't know your area that well..but here..it would go quickly.

500 at 25$ = 12500.  minus your printing of 8$/print(guess?) = 8500 - the 25% donation (3125) and you are still at $5300+ 
think big!!!  >:D
Auditory
it's magic 

stirinthesauce

« Reply #214 on: January 02, 2008, 05:25:14 PM »
shit, I sell my prints for much more than $25  ;D  Of course they are matted and framed.  The offer for the church think is a great idea, by the way.  I may have to try that. +t for that suggestion. I've thought about doing numbered prints but seeing as how few of each prints I do sell, they all are limited.  I may try a numbered print thing at some time and see if that makes a difference.  Just really getting into the selling part, the gallery deal.  In two galleries at the moment and just trying to get enough stuff together for this other gallery.  The problem is finding what sells and what doesn't and going from there.  Feedback from customers is great because often times they tell me what they are looking for or what they like.  I've already been commissioned for a companion piece of one of my summer landscapes, done at the same place this winter when there is snow on the ground.  The image above is one I'm hoping to sell to that particular client as well.

BJ, I finally getting a bit of time to try and get this up and going.  The audio production business is slow this time of year and my other jobs are not quite as demanding though do take up a vast amount of time.  Currently working 4 jobs if you include this so it comes in bits and spurts.  I did finally get my webpage built, if you interested in looking at it.  http://www.jpbuffington.com  Definitly not finished and the slideshow was just a few images that I had at hand when I built it but I'm happy for my first attempt at web design. 

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #215 on: January 02, 2008, 05:30:07 PM »
the 25$ was just a number pulled from the air for easy calculation  ;)  i have never tried to sell prints..so I have no clue what they sell for.  it was more of an idea, not the figures so much, they were just there for support  8).

site is looking good!  get some pics up!!! mwahah  :-*
Auditory
it's magic 

stirinthesauce

« Reply #216 on: January 02, 2008, 05:35:26 PM »
the 25$ was just a number pulled from the air for easy calculation  ;)  i have never tried to sell prints..so I have no clue what they sell for.  it was more of an idea, not the figures so much, they were just there for support  8).

site is looking good!  get some pics up!!! mwahah  :-*

I was just teasing you.  Hell, I'm probably too cheap.  I had a local artist who I'm friends with persuade me to up my prices.  He gave me some good insight and broke it down realistically.  It's hard trying to put value on your own stuff, or at least for me.  I tend to want to sell myself short.  I even do this catering.  I've got to make myself charge a higher price than I think is fair.  It usually turns out to still be a bargain for the client.

Yes, I need to get some more pics up.  Maybe the next few days I'll work on that.  Maybe tonight.

Offline calvinroots

• Taperssection Regular
  • Time Will Tell
« Reply #217 on: January 02, 2008, 10:59:11 PM »
that is a beautiful shot man!!!
audio - STC-11's (card's & omni's) > CA-9100 > R-09
photog - Canon 40D, 50mm 1.8 II, 70-200 4.0 L, 28-135 kit

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #218 on: January 04, 2008, 07:04:46 PM »
The 20d I shoot also goes to iso 3200, though it is extremely noisy.

I thought it only did 1600? At least that's the highest I've noticed on mine. Did you hack the firmware or something?
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

stirinthesauce

« Reply #219 on: January 04, 2008, 10:41:51 PM »
The 20d I shoot also goes to iso 3200, though it is extremely noisy.

I thought it only did 1600? At least that's the highest I've noticed on mine. Did you hack the firmware or something?

The next setting past 1600 is "H" which is 3200.  In your menu, go to Custom Functions.  Function 8 is ISO Expansion.  Turn it on.  Then, when adjusting your iso normally, just click up one more past 1600 and it will say "H" (for high iso I guess) which is iso 3200.  Fair warning though, the pics are extremely noisy.  However, with noiseware applied to said images, noise is completely eliminated.  I use iso 3200 for shows when it is really dark or really lacking stage lighting.  Not optimal but does the trick.

that is a beautiful shot man!!!

Thank you very much!   :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 10:43:54 PM by stirinthesauce »

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #220 on: January 06, 2008, 10:14:23 AM »
Here is a shot i took this morning.  I don't think it was my best one, but the first I opened.  We will see  :P

Auditory
it's magic 

stirinthesauce

« Reply #221 on: January 06, 2008, 11:25:39 AM »
Very nice BJ!  Glad to see someone up before sunrise to capture the sunrises.  Always make for a good day.  I might even have to get up tomorrow morning early.  ;D

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #222 on: April 05, 2008, 08:31:11 PM »

yep, that canon efs 10-22mm *still* rocks!
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #223 on: April 05, 2008, 08:37:33 PM »
Here is a shot i took this morning.  I don't think it was my best one, but the first I opened.  We will see  :P

first time back to this thread in a while..  great shot!!   :D
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

stirinthesauce

« Reply #224 on: April 05, 2008, 08:37:54 PM »
^^Yes it does  ;D  That just takes you straight into the lake.  Great shot, eric.

Nice thread bump.  My favorite.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.119 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com