Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs...  (Read 83683 times)

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs...
« Reply #300 on: July 11, 2008, 08:25:26 PM »
anyone help with the shutter button motor " sound"  on the CANON 40D?  taking pictures of certain kids the sound of the shutter being depressed actually makes them jerk a bit.

Yes, you can use the quiet mode option when using Live View. Can come in handy when taking shots in quiet places. Keep the shutter button pressed for as long as you want, when you release it, that's when you hear the sound. But you'll only hear a faint click when taking the actual shot.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #301 on: July 11, 2008, 08:44:10 PM »
anyone help with the shutter button motor " sound"  on the CANON 40D?  taking pictures of certain kids the sound of the shutter being depressed actually makes them jerk a bit.

Yes, you can use the quiet mode option when using Live View. Can come in handy when taking shots in quiet places. Keep the shutter button pressed for as long as you want, when you release it, that's when you hear the sound. But you'll only hear a faint click when taking the actual shot.

does the flash work with live view? does live view work with AE? sometimes I use auto, d'oh I guess i can just try it

thanks

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #302 on: July 11, 2008, 08:49:08 PM »
I don't know if doing a search for shutter slap will help but maybe a search with some similar buzz words will exhibit something.  I actually think it was a link from here that I followed and read a year or so ago. 

Good luck with your search  :)

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #303 on: July 11, 2008, 09:46:46 PM »
I don't know if doing a search for shutter slap will help but maybe a search with some similar buzz words will exhibit something.  I actually think it was a link from here that I followed and read a year or so ago. 

Good luck with your search  :)

Me too, i thought I remembered something about the sound of the shutter on certain cameras. Maybe its on B and H written reviews of pro's and con's of the different cameras.  I check there also

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #304 on: July 13, 2008, 12:21:22 PM »
using 24-70 lens when i am at 24 and using the lens hood i get shadows from the hood.

anyone else

I like using the lens hood for protection LOL

stirinthesauce

« Reply #305 on: July 13, 2008, 01:08:34 PM »
using 24-70 lens when i am at 24 and using the lens hood i get shadows from the hood.

anyone else

Huh.  Surprised on a crop sensor body you are. 

Offline jdawg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #306 on: July 13, 2008, 01:22:21 PM »

anyone else

I'm guessing you're seeing this when using the pop-up flash?  You'll get this when using the wide end of the lens, not uncommon, especially with the flash so close to the body. Pick up a speedlight, i.e. 430ex, 580ex, something like that and you won't have issues.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #307 on: July 14, 2008, 01:09:24 PM »
does the Nikon d300 or  i think its the d200 do they have  a loud shutter slap?

this 40 d is really bugging me, or should i say the subjects are really jumpy to the sound and flash.

Offline Sanjay

• Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #308 on: July 14, 2008, 03:13:45 PM »
The shutter sound is inevidable, but if you can deal with a beep, the shutter is no big deal.

The noise that is making your subjects jump and is probably not the shutter.  Once the shutter is pressed, save for blinking, few things will ruin the picture.  People can't really react that quick, might ruin the second picture but not the first.

The noise which is probably setting them off is your autofocus motor!  That noise will.  Simple solution, manual focus your lenses!  No need for a new camera...
mics & cameras

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #309 on: July 14, 2008, 05:17:34 PM »
The shutter sound is inevidable, but if you can deal with a beep, the shutter is no big deal.

The noise that is making your subjects jump and is probably not the shutter.  Once the shutter is pressed, save for blinking, few things will ruin the picture.  People can't really react that quick, might ruin the second picture but not the first.

The noise which is probably setting them off is your autofocus motor!  That noise will.  Simple solution, manual focus your lenses!  No need for a new camera...

When you are dealing with children with cerebral palsy and autism they possess very fast tendon reflexes which actually make them more ' jumpy" then the average folk.  And it is the sound of the shutter that make them jump.  I also have a point and shoot canon S5IS which is much quieter and they tend to jump much less. yes these kids are that quick and then the anticipation on top of that.  Anxiety is held in the body and represents itself as upper motor neuron jerky movements due to sensitivity to sound.  The autofocus is relatively quiet. its when i engage the shutter all the way and the kids tend to jump

help me

stirinthesauce

« Reply #310 on: July 15, 2008, 12:15:11 AM »
faster shutter speed.  Boost the iso.  No one can out jump 1/200th or more of shutter speed.

Other than that, maybe go rent a couple different models from a local camera shop.  Maybe some different canon makes and models and some nikons.  Or, maybe they even have some demos you can test out, to find out which model is quietest.

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #311 on: July 15, 2008, 12:18:32 AM »

and the kids tend to jump

help me

use a point and shoot camera?  Im pretty sure most of the smaller pocket camera have an option to be completely silent while shooting..
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #312 on: July 15, 2008, 02:32:27 AM »

and the kids tend to jump

help me

use a point and shoot camera?  Im pretty sure most of the smaller pocket camera have an option to be completely silent while shooting..

that is the inference is was making--that the p + s is quieter than the 40D.  The 40D is significantly louder and tends to make my subjects jump due to the sound.   read the thread from the las few exchanges and you will see that the 40D dslr shutter slap is significant and does make certain subjects that are hypersensitive to sound " jump"

Offline jdawg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #313 on: July 15, 2008, 08:47:16 AM »
This goes beyond Canon SLR's as I'm sure you're discovering. They "ALL" make noise. And as I stated above, the 40D has a "somewhat" silent operation in Live View. Have you tried that out? Have you looked into off-camera flash?

Still not sure what you're expecting to find out there. A silent DSLR camera? The sound may vary across different models, but it's still there. The 40D is a great camera and I hope you can find a way to make it work for your needs.

What are you finding out there in the dedicated "photography" forums? I'm sure you'll get a more varied response.

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
« Reply #314 on: July 15, 2008, 08:48:49 AM »

When you are dealing with children with cerebral palsy and autism they possess very fast tendon reflexes which actually make them more ' jumpy" then the average folk.  And it is the sound of the shutter that make them jump.  I also have a point and shoot canon S5IS which is much quieter and they tend to jump much less. yes these kids are that quick and then the anticipation on top of that.  Anxiety is held in the body and represents itself as upper motor neuron jerky movements due to sensitivity to sound.  The autofocus is relatively quiet. its when i engage the shutter all the way and the kids tend to jump

help me

Is it possible to mask the sound of the camera with background noise, perhaps a fan?
Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com