Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A couple Sonic Studios questions  (Read 751 times)

Offline Mandoborg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
A couple Sonic Studios questions
« on: October 13, 2023, 05:14:01 PM »
Hey folks, been lurking here and reading for some time and decided to make my first post. I've recently gotten back into taping after about a 15 year hiatus. My 18 year old is into it and it's kind of got me going again !!! I've retired my trusty D6 in favor of a Zoom H2N...wow, no more tape flips !!  Never knew stealth could be so relaxing !!!   :lol:   Anyway, my question is, I still have a love affair with my Sonic Studios DSM-6 mics, but when i broke them out recently, i noticed the little black wind screens on the mics had deteriorated and fallen right off. Is there anything you folks would recommend replacing these with ?? There's not much room to glue anything there and i'm afraid the glue might run down into the mic diaphragm no matter how careful i am. Leonard must have had steady hands !!! I'm tempted to cut a small piece of speaker grill cloth and wrap it around the entire ' bud' and tie it on with some black thread.... Also, in my old box of tricks was this contraption called the PA-6 . I think it was some kind of pre-amp ??..... I don't remember using it so i probably tried it and realized it wasn't worth the trouble to set up...again everything I did was stealth....any ideas what this contraption is or does ???

Thanks in advance for any info !!

Jim

« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 05:17:43 PM by Mandoborg »

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: A couple Sonic Studios questions
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 09:00:35 PM »
The PA-6 was a battery box. You'd be far better off using it than not.

The Wayback Machine works pretty well for sonicstudios.com since Leonard basically had a one page site with text and photos. I just randomly picked a date from 2005:
https://web.archive.org/web/20050604002656/http://www.sonicstudios.com/

DSM In-Series External Power & Bass Cut Filter Adapters
>Most all with 3.5mm Molded Right/Angle Mini-Stereo Plug Output

CLICK Here For DSM Mic Powering Adapters Page
    PA-6 (f/DSM-1S/6S) External In-Series, 2000 Hr.(1)AA Cell DSM Powering  $100.-USD
    PA-6PFC (As Above, But) Dual AA Cell Pwr.+ Precision Film Coupling $225.-
    PA-6LC3 (PA-6) + Bass 45/85/180Hz LoCut Switch+Precision Film Coupling $225.-
    PA-6LC3B(As PA-6LC3, But) 85/180/250 Cycle LoCut For Mega Boom Bass $225.-
    PA-6LC2 (As 6LC3, But) Bass 85 Hz LoCut with ON/OFF Filter Switch $225.-
    PA-6LC (As 6LC2, But) Fixed at most used 85 Hz Rolloff...No ON/OFF Switch $125
    PA-10PFC (f/DSM-1/6) Like PA-6PFC, Pro-Studio type with Dual XLR-3 Out Connectors $250.

More info:
https://web.archive.org/web/20050815080204/http://www.sonicstudios.com/pa_x.htm
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 09:05:03 PM by jefflester »
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline Mandoborg

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2023, 09:46:00 AM »
THANK YOU Jeff !!!  That's exactly what I was looking for !! Strange that those pages didn't come up when I was web surfing for Sonic Studios info. Amazing thing is, those are the exact same pages I remember from when I ordered this stuff waaay back when !!!! What a blast from the past reading those again !!  I have a show coming up next weekend that I'll run the PA-6 for one set and not the other just to refresh my memory on what it does.....

Thanks again !!!  This was awesome, glad I asked here !!!

Jim

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline Mandoborg

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 09:20:30 PM »
Seethreepo, Those little wind screens are just the ticket !!!  Didn't even think of that !!
Thanks for the links !!!
Jim

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com