Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help/recommendations for Omni microphones  (Read 1802 times)

Offline u2_fly_2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Help/recommendations for Omni microphones
« on: January 14, 2024, 01:37:21 PM »
Hi everybody...I am asking this on behalf of a taper friend in Sweden...
Which Omni microphones would you suggest and that also are in a midrange price?

What about CA-11 or CA-14?

What about Soundman Okm II?

What about DPA 4061?

My friend is recording mainly big stadium/arena rock concerts and also midsize rock concerts in Sweden...he already has a battery box and is currently using CA-14 Cardioids...

All input is welcome and appreciated!
Thank you in advance  :)
 :cheers:

Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Zoom Q3 HD - 1080p / 96-24 Bit

Roland R-26 (96 / 24 Bit)

Sony PCM-D100 (192 / 24 Bit)

Offline SMsound

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Help/recommendations for Omni microphones
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2024, 06:31:40 PM »
Sweden is where Line Audio Omni1 (aka OM1) are hand made... around 1300SEK per mic if I recall. I love mine and everyone here does too, and they take pretty high SPL's with lower self-noise than the hi-SPL lav mics. Bigger than the lav mics you mentioned though -- does he want to go super tiny?

http://www.lineaudio.se/OM1.html

Otherwise, can't beat a DPA 4061 CORE model, but you'll have to have them reterminated or buy them reterminated figure out the microdot connectors (not a problem just one more step to figure out).

What recorder and battery box is he using?
waves -> bits

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2024, 06:35:07 PM »
DPA for sure
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline breakonthru

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2024, 07:13:55 PM »
Reminder that you if buying 406x to buy new or known light use from a fellow taper. Cheap ones on used market from random people are often formerly “theatre mics” with heavy use that are at or near the end of their lives, and unless they go at the connector end are not serviceable.

If buying new 406x I’d elect for the the heavy duty version with the slightly thicker cable (4071?) imo the cable thickness isn’t a variable when inside a croakie anyway and they improve on the weakest aspect of the mic

Offline u2_fly_2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2024, 07:28:20 PM »
Sweden is where Line Audio Omni1 (aka OM1) are hand made... around 1300SEK per mic if I recall. I love mine and everyone here does too, and they take pretty high SPL's with lower self-noise than the hi-SPL lav mics. Bigger than the lav mics you mentioned though -- does he want to go super tiny?

http://www.lineaudio.se/OM1.html

Otherwise, can't beat a DPA 4061 CORE model, but you'll have to have them reterminated or buy them reterminated figure out the microdot connectors (not a problem just one more step to figure out).

What recorder and battery box is he using?

Thank you for the input...he currently has this line-up:
CA-14 Cardioid Microphones -> Battery Box -> Zoom H1n

He´s looking for a stealth-kind-of-recorder for the future and the mic´s should be as tiny as possible too...he might want to buy a Roland R-07 in the future.

Line Audio is also another option but not the first choice...but they seem to be very nice too.

Also, thank you for the info about the DPA 4061. I will talk more to him and see what he´s options are.
Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Offline u2_fly_2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2024, 07:30:25 PM »
Reminder that you if buying 406x to buy new or known light use from a fellow taper. Cheap ones on used market from random people are often formerly “theatre mics” with heavy use that are at or near the end of their lives, and unless they go at the connector end are not serviceable.

If buying new 406x I’d elect for the the heavy duty version with the slightly thicker cable (4071?) imo the cable thickness isn’t a variable when inside a croakie anyway and they improve on the weakest aspect of the mic

Thank you very much for the info!
Good to know these things before you might want to buy some used one´s...

Offline SMsound

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2024, 09:43:30 PM »

He´s looking for a stealth-kind-of-recorder for the future and the mic´s should be as tiny as possible too...he might want to buy a Roland R-07 in the future.

^^ Lose the Zoom H1n. R-07 is fine. Personally I would want a Sony (maximally tiny) or a Zoom F3 (32 bit = can't screw up levels).

If you want the ultimate lav mic super mini/discreet setup, I would do an Iphone (must have lightning i.e. pre-Iphone-15) ->  DPA MMA D:Vice -> microdot DPA 4061 CORE pair (for loud shows, or DPA 4060 CORE for non-deafening shows). The DPA box was recently discontinued so harder to find and not cheap, but nothing on the market is smaller/more discrete than that setup.  Takes care of dealing with microdots too.
waves -> bits

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • InsideOut Recording & Promotions
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2024, 02:25:02 AM »
I have gotten great value out of my CA-14 omni pair.  Though I rarely have ran them alone. Usually I split them about 2-3 feet and have a directional pain in the middle.  They also make good matrix recordings when paired with soundboard. 
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@corfit
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/insideoutrecording
Mics: AKG ck61/ck63 (nBob actives, Naiant PFA) | AKG 568 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects B3
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Zoom F3 | Roland R-07
Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Offline u2_fly_2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2024, 06:35:17 AM »

^^ Lose the Zoom H1n. R-07 is fine. Personally I would want a Sony (maximally tiny) or a Zoom F3 (32 bit = can't screw up levels).

If you want the ultimate lav mic super mini/discreet setup, I would do an Iphone (must have lightning i.e. pre-Iphone-15) ->  DPA MMA D:Vice -> microdot DPA 4061 CORE pair (for loud shows, or DPA 4060 CORE for non-deafening shows). The DPA box was recently discontinued so harder to find and not cheap, but nothing on the market is smaller/more discrete than that setup.  Takes care of dealing with microdots too.

Yes, using a Iphone in the setup could be very good...thanks for the advice :-)

Offline u2_fly_2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2024, 06:36:10 AM »
I have gotten great value out of my CA-14 omni pair.  Though I rarely have ran them alone. Usually I split them about 2-3 feet and have a directional pain in the middle.  They also make good matrix recordings when paired with soundboard.

Thank you for the input :-)

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2024, 10:39:52 AM »
CA-14 omnis are good, but on the fragile side, and also it can be hard to obtain them given Chris Church’s often inconsistent shipping schedules. AT-853s are a good similar alternative.

But yeah, DPAs are the gold standard for both quality and size if price isn’t an issue and you can get a battery box that works with them.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2024, 12:38:57 PM »
The DPAs need a bit higher voltage than the usual plug-in-power recorders provide.  A battery box that provides at least 5V should work, with a cable that takes microdot to a stereo 3.5mm plug.  Church Audio made me a battery box (standard 9V cell) that takes two microdot inputs and provides a stereo 3.5mm output for many portable recorders.  The Sony D100 (among its many nice features) will power the DPAs, and the Deity PR-2 announced last April (and still vaporware) is supposed to have switchable 3/5V power; both these will need a microdot-to-3.5mm cable (I have verified that the D100 works fine with this, but I have not made many recordings with it).

Or you can go for the DPA4063, which is an omni with lower plug-in-power requirements.

Offline u2_fly_2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2024, 12:43:54 PM »
CA-14 omnis are good, but on the fragile side, and also it can be hard to obtain them given Chris Church’s often inconsistent shipping schedules. AT-853s are a good similar alternative.

But yeah, DPAs are the gold standard for both quality and size if price isn’t an issue and you can get a battery box that works with them.

Thank you for the input :-)

Offline u2_fly_2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2024, 12:44:55 PM »
The DPAs need a bit higher voltage than the usual plug-in-power recorders provide.  A battery box that provides at least 5V should work, with a cable that takes microdot to a stereo 3.5mm plug.  Church Audio made me a battery box (standard 9V cell) that takes two microdot inputs and provides a stereo 3.5mm output for many portable recorders.  The Sony D100 (among its many nice features) will power the DPAs, and the Deity PR-2 announced last April (and still vaporware) is supposed to have switchable 3/5V power; both these will need a microdot-to-3.5mm cable (I have verified that the D100 works fine with this, but I have not made many recordings with it).

Or you can go for the DPA4063, which is an omni with lower plug-in-power requirements.

Thank you for the helpful input :-)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2024, 02:40:54 PM »

In case others missed it, I want to emphasize that Jeff had a custom powering module built for him for his DPAs. The reason I call attention to this is that you don't want to just plug them into any power supply within 9V battery, because if they are actually fed 9V or higher, you risk damaging them.

Jon at Naiant Studio can make you custom PFAs for these mics, although I'm not sure he can do microdot connectors. My 4061's came with TA4 termination so Jon was able to make me PFAs to match. Note that this would be only applicable if connecting to a recorder with 48V phantom powered XLR inputs. If you have microdot termination, you would have to use DPA's own XLR adapters in this situation.

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned about the DPA lavs is their moisture resistance. They are made to withstand being sweat upon by stage actors. There used to be a video on DPA's website where a guy goes wading into a lake wearing one, and while the audio cuts out while the capsule is immersed, the mic is totally fine afterwards. The official way to clean them is to swish them around in a glass of distilled water.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com