Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audacity 2.1.2 - Exported WAV files turn into AIFFs????  (Read 4540 times)

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
Audacity 2.1.2 - Exported WAV files turn into AIFFs????
« on: February 17, 2016, 01:30:58 PM »
I'm using the newest Audacity for the first time, and for some reason files I exported as WAV (other uncompressed files option) are showing in windows as AIFF files... No idea why, as I double checked and was NOT in fact exporting them as AIFFs. I'm utilizing a DR-70D, writing to 24/48, transferring via USB cable, and using Windows Vista. Anyone encounter anything like this? I sure hope it hasn't happened on older recordings that I didn't notice, but I think it's just this new Audacity. Any input is appreciated...
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Audacity 2.1.2 - Exported WAV files turn into AIFFs????
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 06:42:34 PM »
From the release notes http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Release_Notes_2.1.2#Imports_and_Exports:

Exports chosen using the "Other uncompressed files" type may be saved with incorrect extension and so not be playable - on Windows and OS X, AIFF extension is always used regardless of format and on Linux, the extension for the last saved format is always used. Workaround: Add a period and the correct extension for the format (or on Mac OS X, change the supplied extension). Be sure to add the correct extension, because Audacity may not warn if an inappropriate extension is added.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 10:23:53 PM »
using Windows Vista.
???  :o  :facepalm:

Had no idea it was still supported!

But it's in Extended Support through April 11, 2017
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 10:25:37 PM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline jagraham

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 02:18:48 PM »
using Windows Vista.
???  :o  :facepalm:

Had no idea it was still supported!

But it's in Extended Support through April 11, 2017
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Yeah it still gets windows updates. It's a Sony VAIO laptop. I take good care of my devices so they typically last a long time.

Dyneq - Thanks! I probably should have checked those notes first but I'm glad you found that. Luckily all that's lost here is the time it took to work on 10 or so recordings. I think I'll grab an older version of audacity.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)

Offline dyneq

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 02:31:17 PM »
^ Glad I could help!

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 06:47:37 PM »
Dyneq - Thanks! I probably should have checked those notes first but I'm glad you found that. Luckily all that's lost here is the time it took to work on 10 or so recordings. I think I'll grab an older version of audacity.

Aiff is lossless (essentially "Apple flac") so you could convert these without loss (though you may have to install Switch or some other program that works on both formats)... 

PITA. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline dyneq

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 08:28:23 PM »
You don't need to convert at all. All you have to do is change the extension to .wav in the dialog before you hit go (if you choose 'other uncompressed files' for file type).

To avoid this bug entirely, select WAV instead of 'other uncompressed files'. Why is that option there anyway if all of the uncompressed formats are available as other choices?

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 08:55:39 AM »

Aiff is lossless (essentially "Apple flac") so you could convert these without loss (though you may have to install Switch or some other program that works on both formats)... 

PITA.

AIFF and WAV are basically the same files. The data is just stored in a different order

Offline jagraham

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 12:56:50 PM »

PITA.

AIFF and WAV are basically the same files. The data is just stored in a different order

This is all good to know. I just deleted them and restarted from the master files just to be safe.

Are you saying that we can convert between AIFF and WAV and there is no affect other than the extension? For example, I could have used the 24 bit AIFFs to export a 24 Bit WAV or dither down to 16 bit, and the resulting WAV would be the same as if the AIFF was never introduced to the lineage?

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 01:35:57 PM »

Are you saying that we can convert between AIFF and WAV and there is no affect other than the extension?

My understanding is that the header is different. e.g. [in French]start the recording data here[\French] vs. [in Spanish]start the recording data here[\Spanish]. They're both Romance languages so sometimes the differences are small, other times quite profound.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 07:03:49 PM »
Aiff is lossless (essentially "Apple flac")
Well, WAV is lossless like AIFF in that neither are compressed. They are full-file-size PCM formats, with different headers & bit orders, as has been mentioned now.

FLAC and Apple's "Apple Lossless" are similar in that they are both losslessly compressed file formats. An issue I have with apple's lossless is that it's stored with the same extension .M4a as Apple's lossy AAC files (which are similar to MP3 in size and lossiness!)

PITA, yes.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 11:15:29 AM »
the difference between WAV and AIFF is the byte order

basically, you can think of it like this

if this is your data:

A B C D

if might be stored this way:
WAV: A B C D
AIFF: D C B A

same data, different order

An issue I have with apple's lossless is that it's stored with the same extension .M4a as Apple's lossy AAC files (which are similar to MP3 in size and lossiness!)

PITA, yes.

AAC and Apple Lossless are both MP4 files

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com