Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F1 recorder  (Read 21181 times)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Zoom F1 recorder
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2018, 09:34:00 AM »
Has anyone attempted to remove the rails yet?
I probably will.  If I do I'll certainly post here about it.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2018, 10:13:26 AM »

I've gone off the rails a few times
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2018, 03:13:59 PM »
I don't remember if it's been brought up yet, but I asked Zoom how much plug in power the F1 provides and was told it's 2.5V.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline thebeaker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2018, 01:43:00 AM »
Hi, I am plannig to get a new recorder. Until now it is the IRiver h120 and because here in Germany it is hard to get gear in, so I don´t use a Batterybox.
So my CA11/14 stuff is working with just connected to Line-In in Iriver and I am able to record moderately loud rock shows with it.
Will it be also possible with ZoomF1 and its provided mic power?

Offline thebeaker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2018, 06:04:18 PM »

I've gone off the rails a few times

Did u try? :)

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2018, 10:14:54 AM »
At https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi5x5Go4eIY there is a very intelligent review of the H1N, which I strongly suspect is the generally the same as the F1 but in a different case.  In the review and in the comments, the reviewer claims that below a certain point the input level knob switches from analog to digital attenuation.  This he says could mean that with loud sources, the analog stage could overload before the digital stage.  I wonder whether any users of the F1 have noticed anything like that?  (I realise that the stepped input level of the F1 could make it hard to determine this - analysis of noise at different input settings can sometimes reveal what is going on).

Offline TimeBandit

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2018, 04:54:16 AM »
Hi, I am plannig to get a new recorder. Until now it is the IRiver h120 and because here in Germany it is hard to get gear in, so I don´t use a Batterybox.
So my CA11/14 stuff is working with just connected to Line-In in Iriver and I am able to record moderately loud rock shows with it.
Will it be also possible with ZoomF1 and its provided mic power?

AFAIR you can use the Church Audio Mics with plugin Power, but their High SPL capability is just guaranted with the battery box / preamp.

Stumbled across the device today sorry for waking up that thread but with tiny battery box from church or sound profesionals this is the ideal  >:D device. It just looks like "this is my new casio g shock watch, nothin special"   ;D
2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2018, 04:56:56 AM »
because here in Germany it is hard to get gear in

You must be doing something wrong.

Offline TimeBandit

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2018, 05:01:15 AM »
indeed. even with the pcm-m10 i always handled this as a "cell phone" :D

but i will take na look at this one here. came across this today watching "Techmoan" on youtube and this was in the recommendations  :lol:
2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2018, 10:04:56 AM »
Hey guys! I'm (for the first time ever) wanting to put together a stealthy rig. Cost effective as I'm not buying much gear these days. I had actually picked up the competing Tascam DR-10L for use in video work but it only records dual mono (safety gain). I later learned this Zoom unit can do stereo. Which got me thinking that perhaps it's a good stealth recorder. Reading through this looks promising. Now that it's been a while what were you all's findings? Battery box necessary for something like Church mics? In terms of rock concert volumes? I have some shows coming up in April that I am in the sweet spot for and can't open record. I also go to a fair amount of comedy shows and use my iPhone. Which is pretty good but mono. Any real world reviews of this for concert recording?
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2018, 12:19:27 PM »
Hey guys! I'm (for the first time ever) wanting to put together a stealthy rig. Cost effective as I'm not buying much gear these days. I had actually picked up the competing Tascam DR-10L for use in video work but it only records dual mono (safety gain). I later learned this Zoom unit can do stereo. Which got me thinking that perhaps it's a good stealth recorder. Reading through this looks promising. Now that it's been a while what were you all's findings? Battery box necessary for something like Church mics? In terms of rock concert volumes? I have some shows coming up in April that I am in the sweet spot for and can't open record. I also go to a fair amount of comedy shows and use my iPhone. Which is pretty good but mono. Any real world reviews of this for concert recording?
On the plus side, it is small, easy to conceal and the pre-amps are good. I really like the recordings I get. As for a battery box, the F1 certainly does not supply any more PIP than a larger deck and while I do not know the voltage, I always use a small external pre-amp, so at the least I'd say yes to a battery box. Like all small decks you may (or may not) get away with skipping it, but to me the sound quality of the recording is noticeably worse.
My one peeve and this is a reason I favor the Roland R-07 and Marantz PMD 620, is the gain control. Gain is in fixed increments and can only be adjusted up. So, if you have it set too high at the start of a show, the only recourse is to go higher and higher until it goes lower. That means, depending on how fast you can press the gain button, some distortion then a bit of total silence then the gain you desire. So, a few seconds that take will require a bit of post work, adjusting of volumes and all to get to sound ok.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2018, 01:35:09 PM »
Thanks. I don't think I've ever seen that Roland R-07. That looks pretty interesting. Time to dive into research! The gain issue is definitely unappealing. Good tip!
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2019, 07:56:54 PM »
I've just 'invested' in the little Zoom F1 to go with an Osmo Pocket video camera.  I'm using it with Roland in-ear binaural mics.  This makes a very neat stealthy A/V system, which I've demonstrated in a short YouTube video - see https://youtu.be/fdEQiQ6tq0s

I now have an H2, and H2N, an H1N, and the F1, as well as other compact recorders from Sony and Tascam and Edirol.  One day I'm going to have quite a yard sale!

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2019, 01:37:06 PM »
I thought I'd share the following:

I pulled out my Zoom F1 recently to put it back in action. I like the preamp in this unit but had not used it in some time because I do not like the gain control. I still try to rotate between my smaller decks, but when I pulled it out the batteries had leaked inside. I got it working, but possible as a result (or maybe due to design) a small critical piece of the battery door broke off. I looked for a used deck but they were pretty spendy, so I wrote Zoom asking if I could buy a replacement door or pay to have it repaired. I purchased it somewhere around March of 2018 so it was not under warranty, but Zoom immediately offered  to replace as a warranty item at no cost. I paid shipping (about $4.00) and that was it.

I thought that was a pretty cool move and no matter their reasoning, it was unexpected and appreciated. I thought I should pass that on should others have issues with their Zoom products.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2019, 11:58:30 PM »
Nice of them indeed, but it could be partly because the fragility of the door is a known issue - I suspect they have been sending out truckloads of replacements (hopefully with a stronger design).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.295 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com