Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DR-100 step up from DR-07?  (Read 2844 times)

Offline 12milluz

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
DR-100 step up from DR-07?
« on: December 05, 2010, 08:25:12 PM »
Right now, I have a Tascam DR-07. I'm looking at getting a new recorder as a step up. Currently I use AT853s which run great with the DR-07 but running with any other mics require a separate phantom power source (I have a bunch of mics in my studio but no portable phantom power supply). My budget is about $300 and I can get the DR-100 for just that. Is it worth the upgrade? Is there another recorder with XLR ins and phantom that'd be in my price range?

Another option I would consider is a good external preamp that supplies phantom power with XLR jacks. Any of those available areound $300?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 08:29:42 PM by 12milluz »
Audio-Technica AT853(c), Audio-Technica AT825>Naiant Littlebox>Sony PCM-M10

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: DR-100 step up from DR-07?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 09:56:22 PM »
Another option I would consider is a good external preamp that supplies phantom power with XLR jacks. Any of those available areound $300?

I have the XLR248HD which sounds pretty good. Has phantom power and XLR input. Runs on a 9 volt. Very sturdy. Only $165.00 here:

http://proaudio4dv.com//catalog/product_info.php?products_id=30

You can attach the DR-07 to the top of the preamp.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 09:58:13 PM by Dogmusic »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 10:05:23 PM »

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=128321.0

the naiant littlebox would work great. You can configure it multiple ways for input and output and even different ways to power it.
for you, this would work.
xlr female input and left/right rca output. You would need male left/right rca cable to 1/8" cable but those are not much.

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline rjp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 10:19:40 PM »
the naiant littlebox would work great. You can configure it multiple ways for input and output and even different ways to power it.
for you, this would work.
xlr female input and left/right rca output. You would need male left/right rca cable to 1/8" cable but those are not much.

Another vote for the Littlebox. I had mine set up with a mounting stud (details), and a minijack output along with the RCA outs. Mic inputs are XLR for phantom-powered mics, and a minijack for PIP (the standard configuration).
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline 12milluz

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 11:48:48 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm going to go with the Littbox. I guess I always thought it was more expensive so I didn't consider it but its very reasonable and I've already been emailing Jon about my setup. I'm already excited! ;D
Audio-Technica AT853(c), Audio-Technica AT825>Naiant Littlebox>Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com