Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What recorder should I get in a post-JB3 world?  (Read 4220 times)

Offline WolfmanDMB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
What recorder should I get in a post-JB3 world?
« on: June 03, 2012, 02:44:39 AM »
Been out of the game for a while now. Was finishing some upgrades to my rig when I realized the JB3 just wasn't going to do it any more and that I need to get more current. Can you folks suggest to me what recorder to get from a UA-5 digi out? I want to get something that will do all that the JB3 did, and then some if possible. Price would be up to 300. I have a feeling I will be suggested the M10. but wanted to get other thoughts, too. If I can help it I don't want to have to upgrade anything else around it, but just do an even swap on the recorder. If not, can you make suggestions of what I'll need to add to make the swap work (cables, etc.)? Thanks for the help in advance!
video rig: light > canon zr70mc > minidv

audio rig: sp c4's > ps-2 > ad-20 > jb3

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
Re: What recorder should I get in a post-JB3 world?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 03:33:59 AM »
The Sony M10 doesn't have digital inputs. Great recorder, good onboard pre's but not digi in.

Tascam DR100 MKII does have digi in. Lists $600 but found this restock unit on Full Compass for under $300.
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/423048.html?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps&gclid=COu56svGsbACFagbQgodw0AOVA

Sony PCM-D50 also has digi in, lists $500.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 03:47:01 AM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=155313.0

Not sure of the compatibility of the 24bit UA5 > FR2LE though...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 07:39:07 AM »
The UA5 will only pass a 16bit signal to the D50!!  The UA5 doesn't send the correct digital stream, I doubt it will play nice with the DR100 MKII either.  I would go with a M10 an run analog out of the UA5, IMO the M10 has a better AD than the UA5.  The only cable you would need would be RCA>1/8

The Sony M10 doesn't have digital inputs. Great recorder, good onboard pre's but not digi in.

Tascam DR100 MKII does have digi in. Lists $600 but found this restock unit on Full Compass for under $300.
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/423048.html?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps&gclid=COu56svGsbACFagbQgodw0AOVA

Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

runonce

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 01:51:49 PM »
The UA5 will only pass a 16bit signal to the D50!!  The UA5 doesn't send the correct digital stream, I doubt it will play nice with the DR100 MKII either.  I would go with a M10 an run analog out of the UA5, IMO the M10 has a better AD than the UA5.  The only cable you would need would be RCA>1/8

Didn't we finally discover that the UA5 has never sent anything but 24 bits?

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 02:32:38 PM »
Since the UA-5 doesn't use the current standards for a digital signal when using a D50 it will revert to 16/44.1 since it can't read the 24bit stream!!  There is a thread on TS about the problem, but I couldn't find it.  Some companies like Grace did an upgrade so there pres work with the D50.   

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 05:50:37 PM by jmbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 05:35:03 PM »

Since the UA-5 doesn't use the current standards for a digital signal

You're technically both right. The UA-5, courtesy of the digi-mod (which is the basis for all field-based mods) sends a 24bit signal regardless of what you set it to. Second, it doesn't use the current header standard for spdif so new stuff doesn't play well with it.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline newscane

• Taperssection Member
    • somuchtosay.net
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 01:23:58 AM »
I'd been using a UA-5>JB3 setup, and recently upgraded to a DR-100mkii.  In terms of it as a recording unit, I like it.  I set it to record 24/48, and it didn't give me any errors about not getting that over the digi in.  I don't know if that's a sign that the UA-5 actually sent out 24/48 or not.  I know I set the knob on the UA-5 to 48khz.  I did love the ability to transfer 1.6GB in about 2 minutes.  My main PC at home is running Win7, and you can't really transfer from the JB3 in that environment, so I'd been transferring to my XP netbook and processing there, or then transferring to the PC.

I got mine for about $260 from B&H...
Current rig: Avantone CK-1 > UA-5 > DR-100mk11
Retired: JB3

My (DMB) shows: http://www.dmbexchange.com/list.php?user=newscane
My website: http://www.somuchtosay.net

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 05:27:49 PM »
There are many reasons to upgrade to 24 bit, but if you don't feel you need it the iRiver H100/120/140 is still an awesome unit. None of the proprietary bs of the JB3. It plugs in USB2 and reads as a drive on Explorer. Compact, and can be set to be recording with two button touches to whatever you saved last (no more running through 5 menus with a flaky scroll wheel to get where you are going). Easily outboard powered with 4 AA's to last all day. And the backlight doesn't pull much juice and can be set to stay on with the lock switch so people can easily see it in the dark. Rockbox freeware improves the functionality and is easy to install. Pick one up on Ebay for $100-$150.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 05:30:00 PM by eman »
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 10:15:53 PM »
You could just go with the DR100mkII and ditch the UA-5 altogether as the DR100mkII has a pretty good pre-amp as well.

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 05:26:51 PM »
You could just go with the DR100mkII and ditch the UA-5 altogether as the DR100mkII has a pretty good pre-amp as well.

Agreed.  You might also view it that we are now in a post-UA5 world too.  Especially if you have only a digi-mod UA5, not an Oade or Busman analog-stage mod on your UA5.

The UA5 was great for when it came out, as it was a good, low cost solution for a 48v phantom capable mic preamp + A/D that did 24bits.  And especially with the Oade and Busman mods sounded quite good.

But at this point, there are a lot more options, more options for preamps (esp on the used market with very good prices) and with all-in-one recorders that have good analog front-ends, do 24bits, and provide 48v phantom.

Giving up completely on the UA5 and looking at the Tascam DR100 mkII, the Fostex FR2le, the Marantz PMD661 (esp Oade modded), the Marantz PMD671 (esp used), and the Tascam HD-P2 (used) all would make great options for all-in-one recorders.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.157 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com