Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windscreen for a at825  (Read 3388 times)

Offline hoobash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Windscreen for a at825
« on: July 22, 2018, 11:23:43 AM »
Been taping some outdoor shows this some and I am getting some wind noise with just a generic windscreen I need something heavy duty that can fit on my at825 not sure what to get

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Windscreen for a at825
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 10:25:39 AM »
I can't help on a specific external windscreen, but we have several of these mics at work, and due to their age, the internal foam under the metal mesh had all rotted into dust. This foam cradles the dual element and fills the space under the mesh. I bought a generic foam windscreen from Windtech and fashioned a replacement with scissors.

That might be your problem, but Windtech likely makes something big enough to fit the 825 - maybe the SM58 foam, or RE20 size, if AT doesn't make the original any more.

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 10:38:00 AM »
Ive used the large AT8120 model windscreen on AT822 stereo mics in the past and it's worked perfectly. I'd consider it heavy duty.
And it looks like it would fit the AT825 as well. Here's a link to it-

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68171-REG/Audio_Technica_AT8120_Foam_Windscreen_Large.html?ap=y&gclid=CjwKCAjw-dXaBRAEEiwAbwCi5or6wPjaceBDA3TKqBl4mVbp6aHThFl32kswU_eSnWcHntGqGn6a9BoCicYQAvD_BwE&smp=y

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 04:55:04 PM »
I can't help on a specific external windscreen, but we have several of these mics at work, and due to their age, the internal foam under the metal mesh had all rotted into dust. This foam cradles the dual element and fills the space under the mesh. I bought a generic foam windscreen from Windtech and fashioned a replacement with scissors.

That might be your problem, but Windtech likely makes something big enough to fit the 825 - maybe the SM58 foam, or RE20 size, if AT doesn't make the original any more.
Nice work.  I had the same problem, but have not fixed any of my mics yet.These are surprisingly good mics.  Hard to beat for close up, acoustic show recording.

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 09:23:57 PM »
I can't recall which model Windtech I trimmed to fit these, but I can look for any notes.

Also, I can report that the Windtech for SM58 does not fit, but the one for RE20s and the like (model 20/421) does work. It's pretty big, tho, and costs like $31 at B&H. It looks like the real A-T one is much cheaper.

Offline hoobash

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 02:47:47 AM »

Yes mine had this issue I contact AT directly the parts department and they sent me the windscreen they use to do the repair for free work prefect I still have wind noise issues outside on a windy day

Offline hoobash

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 02:57:14 AM »
Ive used the large AT8120 model windscreen on AT822 stereo mics in the past and it's worked perfectly. I'd consider it heavy duty.
And it looks like it would fit the AT825 as well. Here's a link to it-

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68171-REG/Audio_Technica_AT8120_Foam_Windscreen_Large.html?ap=y&gclid=CjwKCAjw-dXaBRAEEiwAbwCi5or6wPjaceBDA3TKqBl4mVbp6aHThFl32kswU_eSnWcHntGqGn6a9BoCicYQAvD_BwE&smp=y

I dont have the this windscreen I have a windscreen off a large diaphragm mic I cut in have and it does leave the back of the mic open going to give this a try and see what happens 

Offline TSNéa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 06:23:35 AM »
And if the foam isn't enough outside, you can cover it with a Medium Mini Windjammer from Rycote as seen on this page:
http://mymic.rycote.com/devices/at-825/
This windjammer seems to fit close around the shaft, leaving no access to the mic's head, using an "elastic device" (sorry for my poor English!)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com