Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Random cable question (sbd matrix- does it matter, TRS vs spdif vs coax vs rca?)  (Read 2735 times)

Offline lmgbtapes

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Hi all,

This is potentially silly, and googling is leading me to believe that as long as the distance is short (less than 10 feet?) it shouldn't matter, but I just want to be sure...

If I am capturing a stereo matrix from a soundboard, and I have the choice between TRS->TRS, digital coax->digicoax, spdif->spdif, or RCA -> TRS, does it matter at all which I choose?

I'm about to be running 4 mics (XLR) into a dr680mkii, so I have the last 2 TRS inputs and the digital with which to get a sbd matrix from. Just wondering if there is any appreciable difference between those options.

Thanks so much- this board is the best resource around for this sort of stuff, really appreciate all you folks

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Analog into the ch 5&6 TRS inputs is the most straight-forward and likely to be the least problematic.  Eliminates potential loss of digital sync issues for whatever reason.

FYI digital coax and spdif are identical formats into the DR-680.  Its SPDIF sent via coaxial-cable into the dig-in RCA-connector.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Most often than not, you'll get an analog output from a SBD, either RCA or TRS.

You should get a stereo sets of RCA cables with RCA > TRS adapters for the ends.  That way you can receive either RCA or TRS at the SBD end and plug the TRS end into your deck.

https://tinyurl.com/y76tanhv

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline lmgbtapes

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Thanks guys :) That's what I got- both TRS -> TRS and RCA -> TRS, so I'll be set! Glad for the certainty.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com