Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: i go an buy an R1 and then i find the gigatracker...  (Read 2674 times)

Offline Mindflayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
i go an buy an R1 and then i find the gigatracker...
« on: August 23, 2005, 07:56:05 AM »
i bought an R1 a few days ago brand new on ebay and it arrives today. ive been pretty excited about it obviously since i purchased it and cant wait to try it out. then i found this...

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-GIGATRACKER

has anyone else used this? should i resell the R1 and grab that thing instead? i know it doesnt record as high as the R1 will but i will really only be using it for cd quality anyway. i guess what im really wondering is if this gigatracker has any real problems i might not be aware of.

any help will be appreciated. thanks...

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
Re: i go an buy an R1 and then i find the gigatracker...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 08:00:59 AM »
Do a search for archos gmini on this site. I have no idea in what situations you will be recording, but I think that if you were to sell or return the R1 for something that can record at 16/44.1, you would be happier with the much cheaper and versatile Nomad Jukebox 3. Do a search for the Jukebox 3 or JB3 on this site too.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 11:17:36 AM »
beware of the fixed gain settings on the preamp.  0, +29 and +50, not exactly ideal.  I ran the SP preamp for one show and returned it because of this shortcoming.
studio projects c4 > edirol ua-5 [digi mod] > Microtrack II

laying around: sp cmc-4, power supply and jb3

Offline Mindflayer

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 04:09:08 PM »
when im recording(which is alot)i almost allways run my mic(sony ms957) in the line in unless im using my sony mz-r50 MD because that particular md has a mic sens. setting for low and high. for years i was dealing with the crappy preamps in minidisc's and having the sound blow out every single time unless i distanced myself. actually the only reason i switched to the R1 is because i got sick of fixing skips with the minidiscs and also wanted to record at a higher bit rate.

the music i record is alot different from what most people on this board are recording i suspect. i record noise shows. ear bleeding, PA speaker blowing, harsh noise so its allways very very loud hence me going through line in. i never have to worry about stealthing because i am a kind of a staple figure at these clubs and shows so i have full access to anything i need.

well.....i suppose i will have to go try this thing. it just arrived and is apperently super simple to use. i think ill go make some noise...

=)

ps. i have a feeling i will be selling this thing for the gigatracker simply because it has a much higher storage capacity and when i tour with bands it can hold alot of other things to keep me amused. i make DVD's for a living so taking something thats basicly an ipod with high quality recording ability is pretty appealing to me for on the road.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 04:17:40 PM by Mindflayer »

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 05:25:32 PM »
Well, if you're recording noise, then the occasional minor blip on the analog in of the gmini won't be much of a problem then. :)
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Mindflayer

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 05:30:48 PM »
hhhmmmm....actually it will though...

when you listen to noise you can tell what is and isnt supposed to be there so thats very informative....

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 05:40:45 PM »
My mistake, it's on the digi-in, so if you're going line-in, you'll probably be ok...but limited to 16-bit, I'm pretty sure.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 06:36:58 AM »
What you should really do is sell the R1 and buy some nice mics.  You'll see more improvement in sound quality with good mics than a good recorder.  The sony mics are basically the bottom of the mic food chain so you should really consider replacing them with something that's gonna pull better quality recordings.
Really not very evil at all now...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com