Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: WTF are these mics?  (Read 5663 times)

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Eschew obfuscation
WTF are these mics?
« on: January 24, 2019, 05:01:50 PM »
And why is Sebastian Bach singing into the sides? Wouldn't these be end-address shotguns?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/backspin-sebastian-bach-on-his-discography-and-why-heavy-metal-is-for-life-185807197.html
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
Re: WTF are these mics?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 05:04:33 PM »
They probably just used the boom mics from the interview for an impromptu photo idea.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 05:29:28 PM »
Singing from the heart?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 06:53:51 PM »
> They probably just used the boom mics from the interview for an impromptu photo idea.

That kind of thing happens a lot. Many engineers are protective of their exact mike choices and positions, and won't allow the ones that they really use to be photographed; many photographs that supposedly show a live recording are in fact posed, and the microphone usage (or even the choice of microphone to be shown) is dictated by visual considerations. For example, the attached NY Times glamor photo shows someone singing into the back of a cardioid microphone that isn't connected to anything.

I collect photos like these, so thanks to the OP for showing us one that I hadn't seen before.

--best regards
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 07:01:09 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 09:20:23 PM »
^ Love that one.

My guess is the OP photo was taken as he walked into or out of a video interview in which he was seated with the mics just out of frame overhead.  Note the photo backdrop, that he's standing, posture, the height and angle of the microphones..
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 06:29:57 AM »
Even though it is clearly for him to sing / speak into when seated, I find it odd to have a pair of shotguns (AKGs?) aimed that close together.  I guess they wanted the interview to be in stereo, but I'm curious why they chose that pattern and placement.

There are some who record a soloist within an ensemble with two or three mics, so that they can be panned to "steer" the apparent placement in post when combined with the main stereo pair, or to create depth / width as a separate array unto itself, as opposed to the traditional mono spot mic for a soloist.

Here's an example with a lovely performance of Handel.  This particular setup uses one of the most expensive implementations I've seen of this technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDpXhlo0jK0
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Ronmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 06:57:26 AM »
That's what happens when the DOP calls all the shots, including mic placement. LOL

I can't imagine any benefit to having two gun mics that closely paired, but someone thought it was a good idea, even if it was only for optics.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 09:33:19 AM »
Two mics for redundancy is my guess, not uncommon on a podium.  Speculating that the production crew set up to do multiple interviews with multiple folks and wanted to assure that no technical issues hampered the scheduled talent.

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 09:43:43 AM »
Two mics for redundancy is my guess, not uncommon on a podium.  Speculating that the production crew set up to do multiple interviews with multiple folks and wanted to assure that no technical issues hampered the scheduled talent.

Talent? We're talking Sebastian Bach here ;D
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 10:57:04 AM »
touche! ; )

Offline muj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 11:40:46 AM »
Woke up to the sound of pouring rain
The wind would whisper and I'd think of you

;D

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 10:26:42 PM »
I've always wondered why POTUS speaks into a pair of 57's instead of 58's.  visually appealing i suppose.
we all live downstream.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 08:25:12 PM »
I've always wondered why POTUS speaks into a pair of 57's instead of 58's.  visually appealing i suppose.

https://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/sm/sm57vip-dual-microphone-kit

Used by every presidential administration since Lyndon B. Johnson, the SM57VIP holds a special place in American history.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2019, 08:58:38 PM »
reminds me of chili peppers 'playing' the superbowl with the guitar and bass unplugged

> They probably just used the boom mics from the interview for an impromptu photo idea.

That kind of thing happens a lot. Many engineers are protective of their exact mike choices and positions, and won't allow the ones that they really use to be photographed; many photographs that supposedly show a live recording are in fact posed, and the microphone usage (or even the choice of microphone to be shown) is dictated by visual considerations. For example, the attached NY Times glamor photo shows someone singing into the back of a cardioid microphone that isn't connected to anything.

I collect photos like these, so thanks to the OP for showing us one that I hadn't seen before.

--best regards
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2019, 01:24:58 AM »
John Lennon had his own SM57 that he preferred to sing through (that I know of)

The thing about 57 vs 58 besides the sound, is that the 57 has a plastic cap, which is isolated from the metal body of the mic. A guitarist could potentially get an electric shock from a 58 if someone has "solved" a hum problem with a "cheater plug" or "ground lift" but the 57 will allow you to touch your electrically "hot" strings and put your lips on the mic and not get ZZZZAPPED!!!!

Perhaps they want to protect the executive from electric shock?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.131 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com