Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What is everyone using for stealth mics?  (Read 16025 times)

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Re: What is everyone using for stealth mics?
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2008, 06:05:03 PM »
Another mic not mentioned here is the Sonic Studios DSM-6S. Ive had them for about 6 or 7 years now and think they are the smoothest sounding stealth mic around.. (IMHO). They handle loud volume excellent and are made well. They are omni, I'd love to hear a Sonic Studios Cardiod, but Ive had great success with them. And I love the omni's because I am a stack taper...
MarkE
DPA and the others (Sanken, Countryman, Nevaton) are better IMO.

I think the Sonic Studios are great but can't compare to the high-end stuff.  They remind me a lot of the Panasonic WM61a.  Open, natural sound, but some artifacts (upper mids) and not quite as much detail.  That's my opinion, fwiw.

Richard

I would agree.  We used the DSM6 a number of times and while they sounded good, they didn't come anywhere close to the Nevaton, DPA or Sanken.

I have not tried the Countryman lavs, so I will have to give them a go sometime.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2008, 06:12:27 PM »
I had the HLSO for a while and now I'm using DPA 4061 since more than 1 year.
DPA 4061 sound a lot better to MY ears ;) .
More detailed than the HLSO and DPA4061 do NOT distort at really high SPL.
Yes, the DPA sound better then the Sennheiser MKE2.  However, the Sennheiser KE4 sound a bit nicer than the MKE2, to me a tossup between the KE4 and the DPA.  (The DPA have lots detail, but no warmth, the KE4 have warmth, but not as much detail, and there is some color.)  And, there are even better options, Countryman B3/B6, Sanken COS11 and Nevaton MKE400, all of which I like better than the DPA for various reasons.  Yes, I own (or have tried) all these mics.  No, I am not obsessive.  I have no more mics than necessary.

Richard

Richard,

Thanks for all the great info.
Question: is there any chance for me to use the Countryman mics terminated with a mini-plug and 9V battery?
Which one is the best in your view, B3 or B6?
Thanks in advance ;)

I'm still working on this.  Will report to TS.com when I figure it out.
I love both the B3 and B6.  Maybe B6 has the edge on sound (and size), but overloading/powering is a question.
B3 can be powered with Edirol R09 plug-in-power believe it or not, B6 are more tricky to power.
My main issue with B3 is matching quality (non existent it seems).  Not sure if it is defect, or manufacture quality.

I'm trying out Sanken COS11 as well.  These are really well matched, and sound very good.  I think I like the Countryman a bit better though.  And they are much cheaper.

Stay tuned...
  Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2008, 06:17:44 PM »
Richard,

Thanks for all the great info.
Question: is there any chance for me to use the Countryman mics terminated with a mini-plug and 9V battery?
Which one is the best in your view, B3 or B6?
Thanks in advance ;)

I'm still working on this.  Will report to TS.com when I figure it out.
I love both the B3 and B6.  Maybe B6 has the edge on sound (and size), but overloading/powering is a question.
B3 can be powered with Edirol R09 plug-in-power believe it or not, B6 are more tricky to power.
My main issue with B3 is matching quality (non existent it seems).  Not sure if it is defect, or manufacture quality.

I'm trying out Sanken COS11 as well.  These are really well matched, and sound very good.  I think I like the Countryman a bit better though.  And they are much cheaper.

Stay tuned...
  Richard

You bet I will  ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2008, 02:54:30 AM »
OK, I've just tried the Sanken COS11.  Great mic, small (4mm diameter, 16mm long, but OK to poke end out of hat or something).
Very smooth and warm sounding, natural EQ.  But there is something wrong with the transients maybe.  "Jangly stuff" like tamborine, cymbals, etc, seems "smeared", or lose detail.  Believe it or not I prefer Sennheiser KE4 over this.  Sennheiser seems a bit colored, but seems to sound OK on everything, including the jangly stuff.

I guess I'll focus on Countryman B3/B6 now.  Until then using KE4.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2008, 10:02:43 AM »
OK, I've just tried the Sanken COS11.  Great mic, small (4mm diameter, 16mm long, but OK to poke end out of hat or something).
Very smooth and warm sounding, natural EQ.  But there is something wrong with the transients maybe.  "Jangly stuff" like tamborine, cymbals, etc, seems "smeared", or lose detail.  Believe it or not I prefer Sennheiser KE4 over this.  Sennheiser seems a bit colored, but seems to sound OK on everything, including the jangly stuff.

I guess I'll focus on Countryman B3/B6 now.  Until then using KE4.

Richard

Please let us know as soon as you have new about powering the B6. That would be great.
+T
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline pgadams

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2008, 12:43:15 PM »
Can anyone give me there opinion on the best inexpensive stealth mic and where I can purchase them from?  Please PM me if you are able to help out.

Thanks,
JKM
I haven't seen Core Sound Stealthy Cardioids mentioned in this thread. I have used them for several years in hats and on glasses. Can anyone campare them to some of the other mics mentioned? BTW for reasons I won't get into I am poised to purchase the Edirol and am wondering if I should continue with the Core Sound mics or invest in something better.
Tks
Mics.................CSBinary, CSCardioid, CA Cardioids
BB ...................CS bb
D/A Converter....Mic 2496
Preamps............CA 9100                           
Recorder...........Axim X50v / Edirol R-09HR

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2008, 04:13:50 PM »
Can anyone give me there opinion on the best inexpensive stealth mic and where I can purchase them from?  Please PM me if you are able to help out.

Thanks,
JKM
I haven't seen Core Sound Stealthy Cardioids mentioned in this thread. I have used them for several years in hats and on glasses. Can anyone campare them to some of the other mics mentioned? BTW for reasons I won't get into I am poised to purchase the Edirol and am wondering if I should continue with the Core Sound mics or invest in something better.
Tks

Many of us has Core Sounds in the 90s, but mine turned to Sore Sounds as I had issues with them and wasn't happy with the customer service.  I'd put most of the mics in this thread above Core Sounds.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Industrial

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Live concert trading
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2008, 05:23:58 PM »
Core Sound Binaurals for bigger bassier concerts and Audio Reality Binaurals for smaller concerts.  The actual sound quality on Audio Reality Mics is a more realistic than my CSBs, but when there is too much bass they get really heavy distortion.
Audio: Audio Reality Homemade Binaurals > MZ-R70
Video: Panasonic PV-GS90

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2008, 06:02:27 PM »
The actual sound quality on Audio Reality Mics is a more realistic than my CSBs, but when there is too much bass they get really heavy distortion.
are they just Panasonic WM61a caps? I have a set I have run open and I love them.

Offline Industrial

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Live concert trading
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2008, 09:26:59 PM »
are they just Panasonic WM61a caps? I have a set I have run open and I love them.

I dunno, the guy audioreality.com claims they were made by him.  I kind of hope they weren't Panasonic WM61a caps or else I seriously overpaid for them :\

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2008, 09:31:43 PM »
I purchase the microphone elements direct from Japan
Panasonic = Japanese. Look about the same size 

Offline Industrial

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Live concert trading
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2008, 09:36:48 PM »
I purchase the microphone elements direct from Japan
Panasonic = Japanese. Look about the same size 

Damn, I think I got ripped off on those mics.

When I bought it, he gives a battery box with a -30 and -150 db setting.  If I did make those WM61-A homemade mics would I need that box to get a good recording?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com