Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stealth Recordings in Europe, need a mic and have no clue  (Read 10214 times)

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
Re: Stealth Recordings in Europe, need a mic and have no clue
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 09:00:26 AM »
Blimey are those still available? I don't think they're that bad, they replaced the ECM717's, which I have heard reasonable recordings with.

Let us know how you get on.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline gauloisesblondes123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 12:49:43 PM »

Let us know how you get on.

...definitely will do. I´m curious myself  ;D

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 10:22:39 AM »
I browsed through a few tapings I downloaded and found out, that I kinda liked the sound from Sony-ECM 719s and even preferred it over the OKMs (Pop and Rock) recordings.

I'd be curious to listen to those samples if you can provide some links...
ECM-719 will give you nice results for open taping intimate acoustic gigs at some record shops.
If this mics fits your price range, better get a pair of CA-14 cardioids as they will give you way better results + they are easier to hide and to mount (don't think about getting good results with an ECM-719 clipped to the pocket of your shirt) !

The general need is for a stereo pair of omnidirectional or cardiod lavalier-type mics with high sound pressure level (SPL) handling.  Over 125db SPL should be the minimum.

The MM-HLSC-1 are said to handle over 138dB SPL without a battery box, but that's not true. They need to be modded (4.7k) to record loud shows.
If you're ordering from Soundprofessionals, ask for "low-sens" mod.
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 10:27:40 AM »
I browsed through a few tapings I downloaded and found out, that I kinda liked the sound from Sony-ECM 719s and even preferred it over the OKMs (Pop and Rock) recordings.

ECM-719 will give you nice results for open taping intimate acoustic gigs at some record shops.
If this mics fits your price range, better get a pair of CA-14 cardioids as they will give you way better results + they are easier to hide and to mount (don't think about getting good results with an ECM-719 clipped to the pocket of your shirt) !

The general need is for a stereo pair of omnidirectional or cardiod lavalier-type mics with high sound pressure level (SPL) handling.  Over 125db SPL should be the minimum.

The MM-HLSC-1 are said to handle over 138dB SPL without a battery box, but that's not true. They need to be modded (4.7k) to record loud shows.
If you're ordering from Soundprofessionals, ask for "low-sens" mod.

You mean my mod LOL Right?  :P
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 02:59:54 PM »

You mean my mod LOL Right?  :P

That's what I mean. I should have credited you ;)
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 04:00:27 PM »

I downloded the shows from dime a while ago and they won´t be available online anymore I guess. I have them on my personal harddrive though and if you want me to, I can upload them via yousendit or something - at least a few tracks from each show. Let me know and I will do so over the weekend.

As I said (or at least tried to say), I only compared those two different mics, as I was going to decide between those two. I thought the Sony sounded decent and that I would be glad, if my tapings would turn out like this... Of course I know, that there are better mics and quality around...

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 12:23:38 PM »
No need for you to work on uploading some files if they are not already online. Thank you ;)

As for the ECM-719 : you are a newbie and I'd say it is a good starter mic.
I started myself with an ECM-717 (older version of the 719) which I still have, but I'm not using it anymore. It gave me great results for intimate acoustic gigs when I got band permission to tape and stood first row.
I then tried club shows and even a stadium concert (almost rock acts) and decided, considering the results, to replace the mic.

If you do not want to order from an overseas company, you basically have no choice anyway.
Maybe you can find some european taper trying to sell some (second hand) mics here on TapersSection's Yard Sale.

Your ears have to be pleased with the results, that's the most important thing. :)
Keep us informed ! Good luck !

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 04:22:26 PM »
Suggest a top quality two peice outfit of headworn stereo-surround mic + PCM-M10 flash deck as discussed in tye retail section of the newsgroup at: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=83254.0;all
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 04:24:31 PM by guysonic »
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 11:56:46 AM »
Americans will always say Church or Sound Professionals.  Both are good choices, but if you have a show on the 14th, there is no chance you'll get Church mics, or probably Sound Pros mics, in time, and you'll be paying shipping duties.

Ordered from SoundProfessionals and had to pay shipping duties.
Ordered form Giant Squid Audio Labs, Microphone Madness and Church Audio and paid no shipping duties.

I'm from France.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 12:31:25 PM »
Americans will always say Church or Sound Professionals.  Both are good choices, but if you have a show on the 14th, there is no chance you'll get Church mics, or probably Sound Pros mics, in time, and you'll be paying shipping duties.

Ordered from SoundProfessionals and had to pay shipping duties.
Ordered form Giant Squid Audio Labs, Microphone Madness and Church Audio and paid no shipping duties.

I'm from France.

Good to know.  My comment still stands re: the timing of an order originally targeted for the 14th Nov. in Europe. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline TimeBandit

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2011, 03:32:56 AM »
Maybe you have to wait a bit longer especially when Chris has much orders on hold...

Shipping from UsA / Canada to Germany in my case needed between 1 or 2 weeks ... took only once 4 weeks because parcel was stuck in Fraport because of customs check.
2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2011, 12:20:18 PM »
I've also had very quick shipments to Europe from Sound Professionals and Microphone Madness, usually a week to ten days.  Customs might tack on a few days occasionally... 

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
Hi Folks,

so here are some words about my first taping experiences.

For the first show on last Monday I didn´t even get the gear into the venue (yeah, I´m a Sissy and got scared in front of the doors, when I saw how closely they pat down the visitors... ;-))
Well, anyways, Yesterday I was at an Arena Show and everything went smoothly. I had a balcony seat but not very far away from the stage. As a result in a funny angle to the speakers though, but still I´m very satisfied with the recording as I heard so far. I´m sure there could be better ones around, but considering this was my first taping ever, I´m pretty glad about it. Thanks to you guys who gave me tipps and feedback about some do´s and don´ts.

Sooner or later I´ll definitely update to some "smaller/better to hide" Mics, though...

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2011, 03:39:55 PM »
^^ So what gear did you wind up buying, gauloises?  Looking forward to hearing your recording when you post it.

On a related note, Chris Church has an incredible deal going on right now that's good until November 28th.  Definitely worth checking out.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2011, 03:23:30 PM »
^^ So what gear did you wind up buying, gauloises?  Looking forward to hearing your recording when you post it.

I´m proud owner of an Edirol R 09 HR with a Sony ECM 719 Microfone :-)

Do people post their recordings or samples of it here as well? I didn´t stumble upon a section for that so far, but I´d definitely be curious to hear some thoughts from people who know their stuff (know more than me anyways to begin with... ;-))
For know I won´t be able to upload anything anywhere though, since I still have one single track and can´t edit it yet. I used to have Wavelab, but my old version isn´t working with my new PC anymore and I still need an alternative program.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com