Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic Stands  (Read 10256 times)

Offline tibbsa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Mic Stands
« on: September 19, 2004, 11:22:14 AM »
I suspect I am going to start something of a holy war with this quesiton, but I've been trying to track down a microphone stand -- or something that could be used as one -- that is fairly portable (i.e. folds up to be carryable, i.e. less than 5 feet long), and that can get up to 7 or 9 feet without a boom (for low visual profile).  I'd need a stereo/T-bar on it to pull the "omnis with a jecklin" trick.

The more portable it can get, and the smaller (or least intrusive) the footprint, the better.

Someone has mentioned the Manfrotto stands and having seen a small 7 footer, but the only one I could find had a price tag around $1000 which is... well, not an option. 

I'm in Canada, if there happen to be any Canadians here with an idea of a good supplier in the north.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mic Stands
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 01:16:23 PM »
I use and love my Bogen (Manfrotto) 3373.  Check the Archival Info forum for a thread on mic stands, it'll answer your questions and offer additional options.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 07:59:45 PM »
I second the 3373, excellent stand. Folds up real small, gets to 7', small footprint yet can carry a heavy load
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 09:25:45 PM »
Quote from: tibbsa
I suspect I am going to start something of a holy war with this quesiton.....

no holy war here.  are newbies THAT afraid to make their first post???  it seems that all the newb's start there first post off with a statement like the one quoted.  i've always thought this board to be VERY newbie friendly.

oh and i'll third the 3733. it's the one you want :)

+T for not starting a holy war!

Offline kmanshi

• Taperssection Regular
  • Stop coming to my barn. You're all FIRED!!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 10:41:15 PM »
There is a post in a conversation that mentions these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30080&item=3839877119&rd=1

I just ordered one and received it Friday.  I gave $35 (shipping included to US address).  Some folks have gotten them cheaper.  It's got a pretty big foot print, but you can adjust it so that it's not so bad.  It extends easily over 10 feet, and you can add a "chair-brella" to the stand for $4.50 (if you have Wal-Mart in Canada....I hope that's not a stupid comment).

The only problem I have with this stand is the 1/4" male screw end.  I need to find a 5/8" converter for it.  I know there out there, just gotta find one.
And the same God you're afraid, is going to send you to hell, is the same God you will answer to when the pin hits the shell.

Offline tibbsa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 09:42:55 AM »
Quote from: tibbsa
I suspect I am going to start something of a holy war with this quesiton.....

no holy war here.  are newbies THAT afraid to make their first post???  it seems that all the newb's start there first post off with a statement like the one quoted.  i've always thought this board to be VERY newbie friendly.

You're probably right, and I didn't realize it was such a common feeling.  I just know that in most communities like this, everyone "has their favourite," and you'll normally get 40 answers from 35 different people when you ask such a simple and common question.  :-) 

But I'll look into the stand mentioned... thanks.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 10:04:34 AM »
yes, everyone does have their favorite..the 3373 ;D
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

Offline Sanjay

• www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 10:17:09 AM »
yes, everyone does have their favorite..the 3373 ;D

its my favorite
mics & cameras

Offline tibbsa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 11:30:28 AM »
I second the 3373, excellent stand. Folds up real small, gets to 7', small footprint yet can carry a heavy load

Sweet indeed.  The only thing is... All the specs I've seen say the maximum height on this stand is 6.2', not 7'.  (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=5602&is=REG&si=spec#goto_itemInfo

For my application, there MAY be people wandering around, and I'd be worried that a 6'2", it'd still be really close to head level? 

I wonder if this would be comparable (with the added height): http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=148860&is=REG

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2004, 11:55:00 AM »

I wonder if this would be comparable (with the added height): http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=148860&is=REG

The footprint on that one looks monstrous to me.  My $.02 would be to make sure the footprint isn't large- in congested areas, large footprint= knocked over stand.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline tibbsa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2004, 12:01:03 PM »
The footprint on that one looks monstrous to me.  My $.02 would be to make sure the footprint isn't large- in congested areas, large footprint= knocked over stand.

According to the specs, the footprint diameter is 39.4 in (1 meter) for that stand.  The 3373 lists a footprint of 3.3 feet (39.6 inches), or 1 meter.  So.... that much is the same?

I think the pictures are a bit misleading.  Either that or the specs are wrong.  I wonder which to believe.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2004, 12:02:16 PM »

According to the specs, the footprint diameter is 39.4 in (1 meter) for that stand.  The 3373 lists a footprint of 3.3 feet (39.6 inches), or 1 meter.  So.... that much is the same?

I think the pictures are a bit misleading.  Either that or the specs are wrong.  I wonder which to believe.

I was just looking at the picture- I would imagine the specs are more trustworthy than the picture.

Carry on!  ;)
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2004, 01:07:44 PM »

Sweet indeed.  The only thing is... All the specs I've seen say the maximum height on this stand is 6.2', not 7'.  (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=5602&is=REG&si=spec#goto_itemInfo

For my application, there MAY be people wandering around, and I'd be worried that a 6'2", it'd still be really close to head level? 

6'2"? that can't be right, I am 6' and when this thing is at its max height its way more than 2 inches above my head, even with sneaks on.
In Tyler we Trust

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2004, 02:48:38 PM »
The 3373 definitely runs higher than 6'2" if you narrow the footprint.  Due to the stand design, the narrower the footprint the higher total height you can achieve.  I'm guessing stand manufacturers list the max height based on some fixed footprint and in the 3373's case we shrink the footprint to [1] add some additional height and [2] minimize w00ks kicking the legs.

And don't forget I mentioned the 18" gooseneck extension - not only does it come in awfully handy for clamping to railings, ceilings, etc., but it'll also get you an extra 18" on top of your stand when you want/need it.  Cheap, easy to carry around, very flexible.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2004, 06:11:46 PM »
The 3373 definitely runs higher than 6'2" if you narrow the footprint.  Due to the stand design, the narrower the footprint the higher total height you can achieve.  I'm guessing stand manufacturers list the max height based on some fixed footprint and in the 3373's case we shrink the footprint to [1] add some additional height and [2] minimize w00ks kicking the legs.

And don't forget I mentioned the 18" gooseneck extension - not only does it come in awfully handy for clamping to railings, ceilings, etc., but it'll also get you an extra 18" on top of your stand when you want/need it.  Cheap, easy to carry around, very flexible.

good point, forgot about the whole footprint deal.
In Tyler we Trust

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.187 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com