Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need help with Microphone cap selection and mounting for a festival  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Falconidave

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I went to too many concerts" said no one ever!
Hey gang,

hoping to get some advice on which caps to use for a weekend outdoor festival this weekend in Dallas.  I'm gonna be standing about 50' from stage dfc, as I was last year.  Very loud situation, big stacks on either end of a 50' wide stage.  I got decent results last year with hat mounted CA-11s and the ST-9000 running line in to my RH1.  I've got to be stealthy so this time gonna bring the AT943 and the Edirol R-09 and the same pre, line in.

My main question is: should I try my new omni caps mounted over my ears clipped to my cap? Or just go with the cards mounted in front of hat?  How do I tell which one will yield the best results?  I thought about just switching them between the first 2 shows(6 over the weekend), and check in the car on the ride home.  I've never used the omnis but I hear good results can be had from the "baffle" mount, but side crowd noise could be an issue too.

Thanks in advance for any advice.  I have learned so much here it's crazy...  Chris, I'm saving my coins for an "ugly", sweet!!   ;D

David
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Interconnects: NBob Actives
Preamps: BabyNbox v2
Recorders: Sony PCM-A10(2); Sony PCM-M10; Edirol R-09HR; Sony MZ-RH1
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
I'd say you'd be safe to use the omni's for the earlier sets in the day-- when there are fewer people there talking, walking around etc.  Omni's sound great outdoors, but especially with a stealth situation, you have to be careful about surrounding noise.

Throw the cards on for the headlining sets, or when it starts getting crowded.  Use your own judgement.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
Omni's are less sensitive to wind.  I like using them outdoors.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline 3-Fan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Make sure you run your 9000 pre-amp turned up all the way.  Remember the knob is just an output volume control not a gain knob.
AT853 > Church 9100 3 wire w/ mini XLR and switchable 4.7K mod > Edirol R-09HR

Offline Falconidave

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I went to too many concerts" said no one ever!
Thanks for the great tips and advice guys.  You rock!! :guitarist:

David
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Interconnects: NBob Actives
Preamps: BabyNbox v2
Recorders: Sony PCM-A10(2); Sony PCM-M10; Edirol R-09HR; Sony MZ-RH1
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
Omnis are less wind sensitive and offer more bass.  But they hear everything around you.

Cards can be very wind sensitive and are usually at least sensitive but will screen out what is behind them and part of what is alongside them.  I have only used cards with  my RH1.  MM-HLSC-1's (Sennheiser) and SP-CMC-4U's (AT's).  They were both good mics and the MM's had a little more bottom end.  CA mics have the reputation of being good but I have no experience with them.
Nov schmoz kapop.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com