Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nomad 3 battery getting rare  (Read 34487 times)

thierryhenry

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Nomad 3 battery getting rare
« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2004, 09:24:57 AM »
I charged my Power Plant batt overnight last night. This morning before I left for work, I plugged it into the JB3 to see if it would go past the Creative and/or EAX screens.  It did make it past both and I was able to toggle through the menus.
I was not able to do any testing yet, but hope to soon. 
Anyway, looks like (as far as my instance goes) the Power Plant batt powered up my JB3 with no problem.  I also like that idea that someone had of trying the internals to power up the unit, then switching to the Power Plant batts. That should work if someone is having problems getting past the startup screens.
Jim
Hopefully more info to come......

That's all I needed to hear for me to order one.  Thanks and +t. ;)

Josh, does that mean you can run this with having two internal's in? Or just run your internals until they are about dead, have this bad boy ready and charged, then plug it in? Also, I forget if this was mentioned before but does the JB3 charge the Powerplant Battery; or do you haev to buy the charger from the site? Thanks.[/font]

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2004, 10:01:09 AM »
I charged my Power Plant batt overnight last night. This morning before I left for work, I plugged it into the JB3 to see if it would go past the Creative and/or EAX screens.  It did make it past both and I was able to toggle through the menus.
Anyway, looks like (as far as my instance goes) the Power Plant batt powered up my JB3 with no problem.  I also like that idea that someone had of trying the internals to power up the unit, then switching to the Power Plant batts. That should work if someone is having problems getting past the startup screens.
Jim

Josh, does that mean you can run this with having two internal's in? Or just run your internals until they are about dead, have this bad boy ready and charged, then plug it in? Also, I forget if this was mentioned before but does the JB3 charge the Powerplant Battery; or do you haev to buy the charger from the site? Thanks.[/font]

I dunno who Josh is, but I'll take a stab at those questions. ;)  I plan on running it with no batteries in for most shows, and for longer all day type shows I'll have everything in.  I assume that the JB3 sees it as just being plugged into the wall, so if you have a partially charged battery in the jb3 the powerplant will be used to recharge it = bad idea.  If you're going to run both be sure to have everything fully charged.

And on their site they say you can recharge it with the jb3 ac adapter.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

thierryhenry

« Reply #107 on: December 28, 2004, 10:08:45 AM »
Jim

I dunno who Josh is, but I'll take a stab at those questions. ;)  I plan on running it with no batteries in for most shows, and for longer all day type shows I'll have everything in.  I assume that the JB3 sees it as just being plugged into the wall, so if you have a partially charged battery in the jb3 the powerplant will be used to recharge it = bad idea.  If you're going to run both be sure to have everything fully charged.

And on their site they say you can recharge it with the jb3 ac adapter.

Thanks JOHN!

+T.

jimmc

« Reply #108 on: December 28, 2004, 12:19:04 PM »
First of all, did you charge the Powerplant Battery through your Jb3, or did you buy the seperate charger sold on their site to charge it?

Secondly, did you have your internal Jb3 batteries in when you powered up the Jb3 with the powerplant batteries?

This is good news, hopefully more to come. Thanks alot +T.

First, I charged the Powerplant batt by plugging the JB3 AC power cord directly into the Powerplant batt.  The JB3 was not used at all for the charging.

Second, In my initial power up test, I did NOT have any internal batts in the JB3.  The JB3 proceeded past the Creative and EAX screens as it would when using internal batts or external AC power.

Also, to expand on what was mentioned about the internals being used w/ the Powerplant, I was thinking you could use the internals to startup the JB3, then plug in the Powerplant batt, then remove the internals.  But.... this would only need to be done in a case like someone else had where the JB3 wouldnt start up using the Powerplant batt.  Mine worked just fine to start it up, so I probably wouldnt even use my internal batts anymore.
I hope to do some record time tests soon, but not sure of my schedule this week. Also, I will look for some specs on the Powerplant batt. Nothing major on the website, but maybe some of the literature that came w/ the batt will list more details.  I'll let you guys know on that one later tonight.
Jim

thierryhenry

« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2004, 01:08:20 PM »
Let the feeding frenzy on these begin!

Thanks!

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2004, 01:36:14 PM »
My order has been placed. ;D

Edit - Hot damn!  $25 express shipping and $11 standard shipping. :o
« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 02:11:35 PM by John Kelly »
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

thierryhenry

« Reply #111 on: December 28, 2004, 01:53:53 PM »
I might try to win another NJB3 off Ebay sometime soon, but i am definitely gonna buy this thing. I think Jb3 external power has been solved. Thanks Powerplant. :)

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #112 on: December 28, 2004, 02:16:37 PM »

Also, to expand on what was mentioned about the internals being used w/ the Powerplant, I was thinking you could use the internals to startup the JB3, then plug in the Powerplant batt, then remove the internals.  But.... this would only need to be done in a case like someone else had where the JB3 wouldnt start up using the Powerplant batt.  Mine worked just fine to start it up, so I probably wouldnt even use my internal batts anymore.

In all the testing I've done, the JB3 locks up if you change power sources while it is running. You can put in a 2nd internal but you can not switch from internal to external or vice versa mid stream.

IMHO, your best purchase is Creative's car adapter kit. It is way cheaper than their batteries and you can run the jb3 on a 12v sla or 9v nimh. You can always hack a generic adapter, but the creative one has been 100% flawless for me through 2 festival seasons.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

thierryhenry

« Reply #113 on: December 28, 2004, 02:19:34 PM »
What about these Powerplant batteries? I think they are a simple easy solution over internals and even the car adapter? Wouldn't you agree?

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #114 on: December 28, 2004, 03:58:38 PM »
From what I've gathered talking to Leegeddy, I think the best approach is to use a VR Jbox since you can get exactly 5v input, and it is versatile in the sense that any battery can be used with it as well as provided pass through power to a pre or anything else.

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #115 on: December 28, 2004, 04:02:59 PM »
The VR J box looks rather nice.
I would like to see a version using a adaptaplug type deal.
Nothing I run will be using xlr power connectors.
I think it's safe to say the days of the SLA are numbered.
Li-ion is cheaper and lighter. XLR has one thing going for it
power wise, they can lock in place.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #116 on: December 28, 2004, 04:20:32 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking the adaptacable version would be pretty nice since I also don't have any power connectors with 4pin XLR ends on them, but the locking feature is nice. Are there pics of such a JBox around? I've only heard talk of it.

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #117 on: December 28, 2004, 04:37:36 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking the adaptacable version would be pretty nice since I also don't have any power connectors with 4pin XLR ends on them, but the locking feature is nice. Are there pics of such a JBox around? I've only heard talk of it.

it's here:

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=29230.msg414526#msg414526

as far as using adaptaplug, you can still use it. the 4pin xlr is the connection TO/FROM the JBox.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #118 on: December 28, 2004, 04:51:21 PM »
Oh, ahaha, I missed that picture when I read through that thread earlier. That thing looks really professional and tidy. I'm achin' to get a quote on that project... I also checked the walmart site and it says they're portable dvd battery is 7.2v but others on the board have been saying it's 9v... what's up with that?

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2004, 04:54:18 PM »

it's here:

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=29230.msg414526#msg414526

as far as using adaptaplug, you can still use it. the 4pin xlr is the connection TO/FROM the JBox.

marc
Yes , so you need to go xlr>adaptaplug right? or vice versa..
That is what I would rather not even bring into the equation.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com