Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Church Audio large capsule mic announced  (Read 14623 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: New Church Audio large capsule mic announced
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 06:03:49 PM »
I don't know why anyone greets any product announcement from Church Audio with any kind of anticipation.

He will take your money, and you likely won't receive your products anywhere close to the promised delivery date, if ever.

I am tired of seeing new people get burned who don't know what's up, so I won't mince words.  Shop elsewhere for recording equipment.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 08:38:12 PM »
I don't know why anyone greets any product announcement from Church Audio with any kind of anticipation.

He will take your money, and you likely won't receive your products anywhere close to the promised delivery date, if ever.

I am tired of seeing new people get burned who don't know what's up, so I won't mince words.  Shop elsewhere for recording equipment.

Keeping it real...
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline relefunt

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2018, 10:25:20 PM »
I am going to chime in here as a previous (but not future) customer and defender of Church Audio.

What voltronic says above is certainly true.

I have been on the “How long did it take to get your Church Audio stuff?” thread a few times relating my real world experience with him — basically defending him from a chorus of detractors. I recently ordered a $99 CA11 backup on his Facebook promotion “Send me on vacation” where he took orders and made 12 mics so he could afford a $1200 vacation. Nothing apparently focuses the mind like a vacation. He got me my mic quickly, in about two weeks.

Why did I need a backup? Because of something people rarely talk about. His products in my experience have been more fragile than a shy teenager in a beauty pageant. I have to truly baby the equipment to get more than a year out of it. Most of his mics and half his preamps I have owned have wound up with only one channel working. Anyone who has purchase a $5 set of earbuds on Amazon will be familiar with “one loose wire syndrome.”

Finally, a few months ago I was looking into possibly getting my Nak 300s chopped up for stealth and to run off a 9v battery box or a CA9200. The very kind person ready to do the mod asked me about whether I wanted or needed a “4.7k mod” — I remembered something about there being CA preamps with either a 4.7k built-in or set up so they could accept a 4.7k-modded mic. Could that mean that some of his other preamps might *not* be compatible such a mic? Hmm.

I sent him a quick FB Message while waiting for my CA11 above. He flat out refused to even answer my questions. He told me he didn’t support other people’s products (and added a “lol” at the end - he does that a lot). I informed him it was HIS preamp I was asking about and by the way I had an order in for his vacation sale. He never ended up answering the basic question about was there anything I needed to know about the 4.7k mod and using the CA9200. He told me it was “his” mod and people were ripping him off by doing it. “Lol” — He told me most people who offer the mod in fact do it incorrectly. “Lol.” — He went on to tell me that Nak 300s weren’t any good. “Lol.” — And so on. A lot of FB messages and a lot of my time wasted and in the end I never got an answer about his freaking preamp. I felt like saying “Fuck you lol” but didn’t want to bother. Eventually a nice user of TS gave me the answer.

So it’s not just that he takes money from people and doesn’t send them their mics for a year or more. That sort of thing can and should be taken up with PayPal or one’s credit card company.

It’s that he can be a gratuitously unpleasant person to someone using his products. For me, that is everything. Everything I need to know about someone.

I have moved on from his products and won’t be buying any more. He makes decent starter microphones that have a high level of comparability within each model. That is not enough for me anymore. I can get much higher build quality from the ocean of used AT gear for sale on TS and far far higher quality from DPA. If he builds a SDC I doubt it will be up to the level of what Line Audio sells. IF he ships any.

Sorry to rant there. You can go back to talking about his new products now.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 10:32:51 PM by relefunt »
AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2018, 07:42:27 PM »
I am going to chime in here as a previous (but not future) customer and defender of Church Audio.

What voltronic says above is certainly true.

I have been on the “How long did it take to get your Church Audio stuff?” thread a few times relating my real world experience with him — basically defending him from a chorus of detractors. I recently ordered a $99 CA11 backup on his Facebook promotion “Send me on vacation” where he took orders and made 12 mics so he could afford a $1200 vacation. Nothing apparently focuses the mind like a vacation. He got me my mic quickly, in about two weeks.

Why did I need a backup? Because of something people rarely talk about. His products in my experience have been more fragile than a shy teenager in a beauty pageant. I have to truly baby the equipment to get more than a year out of it. Most of his mics and half his preamps I have owned have wound up with only one channel working. Anyone who has purchase a $5 set of earbuds on Amazon will be familiar with “one loose wire syndrome.”

Finally, a few months ago I was looking into possibly getting my Nak 300s chopped up for stealth and to run off a 9v battery box or a CA9200. The very kind person ready to do the mod asked me about whether I wanted or needed a “4.7k mod” — I remembered something about there being CA preamps with either a 4.7k built-in or set up so they could accept a 4.7k-modded mic. Could that mean that some of his other preamps might *not* be compatible such a mic? Hmm.

I sent him a quick FB Message while waiting for my CA11 above. He flat out refused to even answer my questions. He told me he didn’t support other people’s products (and added a “lol” at the end - he does that a lot). I informed him it was HIS preamp I was asking about and by the way I had an order in for his vacation sale. He never ended up answering the basic question about was there anything I needed to know about the 4.7k mod and using the CA9200. He told me it was “his” mod and people were ripping him off by doing it. “Lol” — He told me most people who offer the mod in fact do it incorrectly. “Lol.” — He went on to tell me that Nak 300s weren’t any good. “Lol.” — And so on. A lot of FB messages and a lot of my time wasted and in the end I never got an answer about his freaking preamp. I felt like saying “Fuck you lol” but didn’t want to bother. Eventually a nice user of TS gave me the answer.

So it’s not just that he takes money from people and doesn’t send them their mics for a year or more. That sort of thing can and should be taken up with PayPal or one’s credit card company.

It’s that he can be a gratuitously unpleasant person to someone using his products. For me, that is everything. Everything I need to know about someone.

I have moved on from his products and won’t be buying any more. He makes decent starter microphones that have a high level of comparability within each model. That is not enough for me anymore. I can get much higher build quality from the ocean of used AT gear for sale on TS and far far higher quality from DPA. If he builds a SDC I doubt it will be up to the level of what Line Audio sells. IF he ships any.

Second that.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2018, 11:05:19 PM »

yep, similar experience. back over the summer i wanted to have someone (possibly him) do a 1/8" termination and 4.7k mod on a set of Countryman B3's, and i was also planning to buy one of his ugly batt boxes to power them. i sent him a very polite email asking if he could do this and to quote a price. so i was planning to spend the cost of the work on the mics as well as buying one of his products, probably $70-80 worth of business i was prepared to give him. his response not only did not address my question, but was just one sentence that basically laughed in my face for even asking. something like "are you SERIOUSLY asking me to help you give business to one of my competitors??? lol" admittedly, no, i wasn't ever going to buy his mics, as i think they sound like shit. even for starter mics i think AT has better sounding mics for a similar price, and i'm beyond the point where i'm interested in starter mics anyway. but i was still offering to buy one of his products (the ugly bb) and give him business in general. needless to say, his attitude told me all i needed to know about him. all he had to say was a polite "i'm sorry, but i have too much business going on with my own orders, and i don't work on other companies' gear. best of luck in your search." that would've been more than fine, and i wouldn't have been upset at all. as it turns out, later on i found a pair with the work already done in the yard sale here, and bought a sound pros batt box for them. but yeah, he's a totally rude, unprofessional dipshit, and that was the first and last time i'll ever deal with him.

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2018, 11:25:08 PM »
I won't get into the build/shipping times or personality conflicts on this, others can comment on that. I do wish to have some input on the durability of the products though. I've had several pairs of CA-11s and 14s over the years. The first CA-11s I had ended up with a frayed cable after a few years. I'm currently on a pair of CA-14s I've had for five years and they haven't had the frayed cable issue, but I won't be surprised if/when it happens. The AT-853s have much better cable quality. Someone commented on having issues with the CA preamps though, I find this interesting because I always found the STC series of preamps to be much more durable than the Church mics. Of course YMMV but I have more faith in the longevity of those than the mics.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2018, 11:51:56 PM »
I have said it before and I will say it again.... Why anyone gives this guy any business is beyond my understanding. There have been more than enough issues with this guy responding poorly, providing poor service, among other BS.

I could care less about his new promised products... It will only be more hassles for unsuspecting ts'rs to have to deal with... Missed ship dates, delay after delay.. Blau blau blau...

Buyer beware.....
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2018, 08:54:37 AM »
I still haven’t had a problem with Chris, and my CA11s remain my favorite stealth mic by a significant margin after almost 10years

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2018, 05:03:56 PM »
I won't get into the build/shipping times or personality conflicts on this, others can comment on that. I do wish to have some input on the durability of the products though. I've had several pairs of CA-11s and 14s over the years. The first CA-11s I had ended up with a frayed cable after a few years. I'm currently on a pair of CA-14s I've had for five years and they haven't had the frayed cable issue, but I won't be surprised if/when it happens. The AT-853s have much better cable quality. Someone commented on having issues with the CA preamps though, I find this interesting because I always found the STC series of preamps to be much more durable than the Church mics. Of course YMMV but I have more faith in the longevity of those than the mics.

First off, I'd like to say that I must be one of the lucky ones.  I haven't had any issues with Chris or his products that have turned me off.  In fact, I've been happily using the CA-14's (cardioid) and the CA9200 for a while now, and it is by far my preferred stealth rig (and extra 6-8 inches of cable would be nice though).  I have never used the CA-11's, primarily because when I was checking out the sound quality of both, to determine which ones to order, I didn't think much of the CA-11's and felt the CA-14's were much fuller and better for my needs.  I have been using the CA-9200 pre amp with the CA-14's and have never had any issues with it.  In fact, I can't believe the amount of time I seem to get on a single 9 volt alkaline battery.  I'm happy with them, and have recommended them to others for a stealth rig.  I've also used the CA-14 Omni's when mounting them at stage lip for bar shows with great results.  I hope to continue my lucky streak with regards to the mics and pre, as well as with Chris.  On another note, I can't blame him one bit for not wanting to work on other company's equipment.  Not only because it's his competition, but also because if he damages something, he would be responsible for replacing it.
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

Offline adrianf74

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2018, 05:31:12 PM »
Not only because it's his competition, but also because if he damages something, he would be responsible for replacing it.

Not that I'm going to get into the whole customer service thing because a) it's been beaten like a dead horse around these parts, b) we all know what it entails when dealing with Church Audio, and c) I've had my share of delays, etc., but Nak700's hit the nail on the head above: if something goes wrong, he's responsible to repair/replace them. 

That said, I've owned probably every small capsule mic out there over the years of taping: Core Sound, Giant Squid, Church Audio, AT, DPA, Countryman and the B3's were underwhelming to me.  Used them for a show, that sounded pristine from where I was sitting, and the capture was a muddy mess.  Used them in the "sweet spot" at a hip-hop show and they sucked.  And used them at a great sounding hall (Massey Hall in Toronto) and they were underwhelming.  The CA-14's outshined them EVERY TIME.  That said... continue...
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2018, 05:57:04 PM »
Not only because it's his competition, but also because if he damages something, he would be responsible for replacing it.

Not that I'm going to get into the whole customer service thing because a) it's been beaten like a dead horse around these parts, b) we all know what it entails when dealing with Church Audio, and c) I've had my share of delays, etc., but Nak700's hit the nail on the head above: if something goes wrong, he's responsible to repair/replace them. 

That said, I've owned probably every small capsule mic out there over the years of taping: Core Sound, Giant Squid, Church Audio, AT, DPA, Countryman and the B3's were underwhelming to me.  Used them for a show, that sounded pristine from where I was sitting, and the capture was a muddy mess.  Used them in the "sweet spot" at a hip-hop show and they sucked.  And used them at a great sounding hall (Massey Hall in Toronto) and they were underwhelming.  The CA-14's outshined them EVERY TIME.  That said... continue...

Agreed.
I haven't owned as many small mics as you, but have had a few (to say the least), and the CA-14's are the best that I've had.  I wouldn't use them in an arena taper section, I'd use my Naks...or even Crowns (or even better, both!), but in a good FOB spot where I need to stealth, there is no question what I'm going to use.
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

Offline unidentified

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2018, 07:58:21 PM »
Not disputing any of the negative experiences folks have described, and acknowledging the fragility of the cables, the CA-14 cards and the CA-11 mark 2 omnis have become my go to favorite mics.  Given their relatively low cost, I tend to grab extra sets whenever used ones pop up the yard sale so that I always have some on hand.  In fact, the speed with which used CA-14s and CA-11s get scarfed up in the yard sale by TSers speaks to their sweet sound, low cost, and the issues that some folks have had in getting new ones directly from him.   I have not had such problems getting new ones, but, again, I am not disputing what others have reported experiencing. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 08:06:07 PM by unidentified »

Offline thebeaker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2018, 01:08:21 AM »
I also have to say positive words about Chris. I ordered a lot of CA-Stuff since 2007.
2007: CA11-C, CA11-O with a STC 9000 Preamp.
2010: CA14-C, CA14-O
2015: 2 battery boxes.
Yes there was always a  long annoying waiting time until my gear was shipped out but still today every single stuff is working without a failure and I am happy with every record I do!

Offline live2cd

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Facebook.
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2018, 06:44:09 PM »
still waiting on a new pair of CA-14s I ordered in March...  so theres that.
DPA 4060 [CS HEB] > CS BB
CA-14 (c) > CA 9200
CA-14 (o) > CA 9200
SP-CMC-8 Cardioids (4.7k mod) > SP-SPSB-11
pri deck: Sony PCM M10 | alt decks: TASCAM DR‑2D & Sony PCM A10

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2018, 09:10:58 PM »
still waiting on a new pair of CA-14s I ordered in March...  so theres that.
Shameful business practices. I own Church Audio gear and wouldn't recommend anyone purchase from him. Too many years of this crappy behavior.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 10:27:03 PM by vanark »
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com