Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AETA Audio/EAA PSP3 phase r/s switch  (Read 3277 times)

Offline jhfinn

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
AETA Audio/EAA PSP3 phase r/s switch
« on: May 08, 2007, 07:37:38 PM »
Hey now,

Does anyone know what exactly the phase r/s switch on the bottom of the psp3 does?The switch allows you to choose between normal or inverted.Looked in the owners manuel but that wasnt of much help.Im guessing that it has somthing to do with using the preamp in MS mode.
I always keep it at the normall setting,but stealthed a show last summer and knocked the switch to inverted by mistake before I started recording.Didnt notice any audible difference but just curious if I should put some tape over the switch so I dont accidently hit it while rolling.

Regards,
Jim
Mics:Neumann KM150x2...LC3KA actives x4
Pres:Audioroot Femto(L)
Recorders: Edirol R44/Sony PCM-D50
Retired: Sony D10pro2 modified/ Sony TCD-D8

Offline tenesejedd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Never trust a woman who wears her pants too tight
Re: AETA Audio/EAA PSP3 phase r/s switch
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 08:44:39 PM »
I'm not sure as I'm not familiar with the psp3, but it seems like it is some sort of phase switch (duh). if you just running mics into a 2 channel recorder then the switch may not really matter. if there is a seperate phase switch for each channel, then you will notice a difference if it was switched on one channel and not the other. If you were running this pre into say a 4 channel recorder, then the psp3 would have been out of phase with the other channels on the recorder, thus noticing a big difference. But if you have only one phase switch for the entire psp3 and thats all you were recording then no, you wouldn't really notice a difference.
Avantone CK-1>Busman T-Mod FR2-LE
Edirol R-1

I see you scissoring me with your eyes...

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 03:43:23 PM »
why wouldnt it matter?
if something is out of phase, its out of phase.  you'll hear it.

Offline mattdpa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 08:09:16 AM »
I thought it is to reverse the mic channels; left to right and right to left.  I have never used it though.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 09:40:50 AM by mattdpa »
DPA 4022> PSP3> D100 (sold)

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 12:46:41 PM »
why wouldnt it matter?
if something is out of phase, its out of phase.  you'll hear it.

Not really. Think of all the V3's that were out of phase for years. Not many noticed. I couldn't.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 12:53:55 PM »
http://bruceamiller.us/bamaudioschool/audio_course/01_sndwv.html

Many mic pre-amps have a "PHASE" switch that simply flips the phase (reversing polarity). You should always "flip the phase" on individual mics in a multiple-mic setup to make sure all of the sound waves being picked up by all of the mics are in the same part of the cycle (and "IN PHASE" with each other). You do not want your kick mic to be out of phase with your overhead mics...it will sound very thin rather than full.

TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline rainingvodka

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Mics? No I'm just happy to see you.
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 01:30:48 PM »
i've got a psp3 and accidentally recorded a few shows (2 channel, l/r stereo) with the r/s phase switch flipped throughout.  One of those was a show distributed to thousands of people.  Of all those people only one ever indicated to me there was a phasing issue . . . I went back to the soundwave and saw it . . . but I had trouble hearing a difference between the corrected in phase wav and the out of phase wav.

From my experience with the unit, I have noticed the switch flipped after a show or two when i know for a fact it didn't start that way.  When exactly it got switched i can't say but taping it down isn't a bad idea just to be safe . . .
schoeps mk4 + cmr->naiant tiny box->tascam dr-2d

Offline rainingvodka

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Mics? No I'm just happy to see you.
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 05:09:45 PM »
i've got a psp3 and accidentally recorded a few shows (2 channel, l/r stereo) with the r/s phase switch flipped throughout.  One of those was a show distributed to thousands of people.  Of all those people only one ever indicated to me there was a phasing issue . . . I went back to the soundwave and saw it . . . but I had trouble hearing a difference between the corrected in phase wav and the out of phase wav.

From my experience with the unit, I have noticed the switch flipped after a show or two when i know for a fact it didn't start that way.  When exactly it got switched i can't say but taping it down isn't a bad idea just to be safe . . .

and you know.  funny enough. after posting all that.  i made a couple recordings recently with the phase inverted just to check -- and the difference is pretty farkin clear to me they sounded. well.  awful.  re-inverting the channel made about a 90% improvement in the sound . . . 
schoeps mk4 + cmr->naiant tiny box->tascam dr-2d

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.209 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com