Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Pre-Amp or Battery Box best for R-09  (Read 2572 times)

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Pre-Amp or Battery Box best for R-09
« on: July 09, 2007, 08:28:40 PM »
I'm looking at picking up an R-09 and a Church Audio pre-amp and mics, but now I'm wondering if all I need is a batter box for the mics. I'd be taping mostly louder rock music in small venues as opposed to quieter music  ::)(vague, I know).

This may be a stupid question, but what's the big difference between a battery box (power to the mics?) and a pre-amp (signal boost?). I'm wanting to explore all my options before I open the checkbook!  ;DThanks in advance.
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Pre-Amp or Battery Box best for R-09
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 09:24:44 PM »
A battery box just gives power to the mics and gives them a decent level of sensitivity.  It doesn't amplify the signal coming into the mics.  A preamp amplifies the signal coming into the mics and sends that amplified signal to the recorder.  A batter box will work well for loud shows a lot of times and a preamp works well often when the sound is quieter like acoustic shows.  That's how I work my stuff.  You can still use a preamp at loud shows if you desire.  You just have to keep your levels moderate. 

Offline MSTaper

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 10:32:05 PM »
Thanks stanthaman. That's pretty much what I was thinking, but wanted to be sure. So If I'm going to be doing mostly loud shows, I really wouldn't need a preamp? Does the R-09 has sufficient phantom power for the Church mics or would a battery box be more help to me than a preamp? or both for different situations? Thanks again, rWc3523
Edirol UA-5

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 05:47:06 PM »
I can't speak for the edirol as I don't own one, but I think it can power the mics on it's own.  Doesn't it have a mic in and line in?  Use the mic in and it should be the same as a battery box.  It wouldn't hurt to get the CA preamp also in case you ever need it if you have the money.

Offline MSTaper

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 06:45:35 PM »
Thanks again, Stan. I'm picking up a little bit of knowledge with every question, so eventually I'll be asking less! ;D I'm going to get a pre and mics from Chris Church just to be prepared. And I understand the R-09 does have phantom power for the mics. I think what I'm getting will be good to play around with at first to see if I want to go further. What I'll be asking about next will be how to get the best sound out of what I have. Once I do it a few times I'll have a better idea of where I'm going and what I'm doing. There's plenty of bands here and luckily I know people in most of them. rWc3523
Edirol UA-5

Offline h4nk3f4n

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • We Spozed Ta Be Tite!
    • My Page
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 10:22:56 PM »
I would get the 9100 model CA preamp if I were you.  I have one and I gotta tell ya its the shit man.  I have been to loud shows and quiet ones and its great for both situations.  You should also be aware that the farther you go above a gain setting of 8 the noisier the R-09 preamp gets.  I have yet to record a show above 10-12 on the r-09.

just my $.02

h4nk3f4n
CA stc-11 cards > CA 9100 > Edirol R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com