Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam HD-P2 doubts ...  (Read 5514 times)

Offline mikejk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Tascam HD-P2 doubts ...
« on: July 29, 2007, 02:08:42 PM »

I'm looking at picking up a Tascam HD-P2 with matched set of Audio Technica
 AT853 cardioid microphones. I'd like to read your opinions about this config and
 suggestions of others cardiod mics at the range 150-300 $. I think the P2 is a
 great bargain  for the price but i've heart that pre-amp inside is really noisy  :-\.
 Do you think  that i must to buy a dedicated external  mic preamp to improve
 recording quality ?

Thanks !  ;)

Julio

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam HD-P2 doubts ...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 02:27:07 PM »
In general, I think it's better to spend more money on mics first, then the remainder on pre/ADC/recorder.  Not sure what you're recording (PA concerts, speech, nature, etc.) or in what environment (open recording, stealth, mobile on-the-go as you record, etc.), but there may be better options depending on your budget and intent.  Then again, there may not.

To answer your questions specifically:  check out testing of the stock HD-P2 v. the Oade Bros Advanced Concert Mod HD-P2.  The stock HD-P2 noise floor is actually quite low, getting up slightly above -96 dB (max dynamic range at 16-bit) only when levels are maxed out at "10" on the recording dial (~47 dB of gain).  What does this mean?  It means that as long as you can achieve good levels (say, between -6 dBFS and 0 dBFS) before or up to full gain on the HD-P2, then the HD-P2's noise floor shouldn't pose a problem.  However, if you max out the gain on the HD-P2 and your levels still are peaking very low, the self-noise may become an issue when you amplify (during playback or in post-production).

So, the direct answer to your question:  you should only need an external preamp if you can't achieve good (high enough) levels using the HD-P2's internal gain.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 03:38:07 PM »
I'm not really familiar with the HDP2, but just to echo Brian's sentiments - I can't agree enough, don't spend $150 on mics and $800 on a recorder. The quality of your tapes are most determined by the quality of your mics. There are much cheaper options than HDP2 that would allow you to send more on mics.

For the roughly $1000 you're gonna spend on the HDP2 and AT 853s, I'd look at maybe a Marantz 660 and some AKG 391s.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline mikejk

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 04:30:15 PM »

Well maybe you're right, quality of recording depends really on mic. I need the
 set to record audience live shows, pop specially sometimes at large venues and
 other at rooms so mic must be stealth and condenser for his response.
 Other hand i think that HD-P2 Tascam is better than Marantz 660 (it has no SPDIF
 or RCA I/O, and has a 16-bit limit and preamp is really noisy) / 670 (only 16-bit with
 similar prize to Tascam), Fostex FR2 (only XLR SPDIF and not RCA, adapters, adapters,
 adapters...) and so.
 I can live w / 24-bits cause recordings will be onto CD so a re-sampling will be
 needed finally but inputs are very useful.

I'll hear advices to decide my equipment...  ???

Thanks 

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 04:34:57 PM »
Another thing to consider if I'm reading your above response right, if you're wanting to stealth the HDP2 is likely way too big. Also, if you're gonna be running AT 853s (or any other mics for that matter) directly into the deck, S/PDIF input shuldn't really matter.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 04:49:05 PM »
I do run a P2 and while I wouldn't completely rule it out for stealth as I could see it being used in a stealth environment I believe master Jedi skills would be needed at the least.
It is a fairly nice size piece of equipment and not something you could just jam down your trousers.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline mikejk

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 05:48:57 PM »

I've said "stealth mic" and not "hidden equipment". To record an audience show i need
 of course a little mic because i don't wanna to hold it in hands about 2 h. Tascam is
 bigger than PMD-660 ie but i don't care for this. Quality is more important and the
 pre-amp of Sony's unit really sucks !

Thanks

stirinthesauce

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 10:22:51 PM »
HD-p2's can be had for right at $800.  So not bad for an all in one.  I've running mine stock lately and it sounds surprisingly good.  Preamps are not bad at all.  Really a good bargain for a great box. 

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 02:19:51 AM »
You can also patch with the P2 at larger shows. While I agree you should put the money in the mics. You can pull great shows patching with the P2. & run the $300 mics when taping by yourself.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 03:47:16 AM »
Id get mini AT's and either an ACM 660 or a busman mod Fostex FR2-LE. Thats probably the same all-in-one i'll eventually get for my mbho's. and the busman mod 660 also sounds amazing. i was REALLY impressed with my buddy steves allgood tapes with both 184>busman 660 or 481>busman 660. they both sound GREAT. I do like the 481's better with the busman 660 tho. id imagine that the busman fr2-le with some mini at's would be a sweet sounding all-in-one setup for the size and price :) and I believe the fr2-le is stealthable, right? I know its 24-bit too, so there you go. I think it records to SD cards tho......
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline mikejk

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 04:23:56 AM »

Well thanks everbody for your answers. I didn't realize that AT853 has been
 replaced with new model U853. This will be probably my final choice with
 the HD-P2...
 The specs of this mic says "Phantom Power requer." 9-52V DC, 2 mA typical
 so i suppose it will be needed to plug in on the XLR phantom mic-in input of
 my gear. I've read on other post that mic-in adds a little distorsion then i
 wonder if i'll get better quality using the line-in to boost signal with external pre-amp.

Thanks

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 07:52:02 AM »
I've read on other post that mic-in adds a little distorsion then i wonder if i'll get better quality using the line-in to boost signal with external pre-amp.

AFAIK, running phantom-powerable mics into the HD-P2 via line-in shouldn't cause distortion.  Link to the post you note above?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 08:35:48 AM »
HD-p2's can be had for right at $800.  So not bad for an all in one.  I've running mine stock lately and it sounds surprisingly good.  Preamps are not bad at all.  Really a good bargain for a great box. 

Then send it to Busman for the preamp mods. Email him for a price.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

stirinthesauce

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 10:54:26 AM »

Then send it to Busman for the preamp mods. Email him for a price.

I have an sd mp-2 to run in front.   ;)

Offline AlexG

• Taperssection Member
  • "I'll get that show to you tomorrow, I promise"
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 03:04:15 PM »
I ran my stock HD-P2 with a pair of Studio Project C4s and pulled some great tapes.  The only time I've noticed the noise floor was when I was trying to record an acoustic act and had the gain way up due to being way too far back.  I've since upgraded to a V3 but now I can do 4 tracks because of the ability to clock to another source with the HD-P2.  IMHO the P2 is a good recorder to build a rig from but your mics will make the most difference in your recording.  I see no reason to ever get rid of mine it has all I need for now.
Mics: Neumann km184, Avatone CK-1 *FOR SALE*
Pres: Grace Lunatec V3 OptiMod *FOR SALE*
Recs: Tascam HD-P2, iRiver H120 30gb, iRiver H120 4gb CF Modded *FOR SALE*

My recordings on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Manitunes

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com