Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5>Microtrack suggestions on settings...  (Read 2304 times)

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Los Bulls!!!
UA-5>Microtrack suggestions on settings...
« on: August 10, 2007, 10:53:40 PM »
My gear: Peluso CEMC-6>silvers>Oade W+mod UA-5>S/pdif>Microtrack
My recording purposes: Loud rock concerts such as Smashing Pumpkins, Black Crowes, G. Love & Special Sauce, DMB just to name a few upcoming shows. Record at 24 bits, 48 kHz using s/pdif to MT.

I know this is kind of a broad subject here but this is what I THINK the settings should be on the UA-5:

Front Panel...

Use inputs 1 & 2 for mics.
Sensitivity dials to be determined once recording starts.
**Hi-Z/Lo-Z------I'm not sure about this one?
Phantom 48V-----ON or with indicator light on.
REC Source-------Analog.
Sample rate------48 kHz
Input Monitor-----Stereo
**Volume---------Should this be all the way up for concert recording?
**Monitor SW-----Not sure I understand this one either.
**Output---------If I'm not using the headphones or master jacks, setting doesn't matter?
Power------------On, duh!

Back Panel:

**Input Volume dial----Using only 1&2 inputs on front, so setting doesn't matter?
**Digital input select switch---Doesn't matter because I won't be using digital in, only digital out, correct?
**Advance switch-----ON, so that I can record at 24 bits, 48 kHz---correct?

And I think that covers that part. The only other questions I have pertains to the MT and it's settings. I'll have to go in and select s/pdif for my input, but I still use the "L" from the L/M/H switch, correct? And the level settings: Do I set them low and use the settings on the pre-amp for monitoring? Or do I use both? I've always recorded with the levels set at 2/3rd's of the way up on the MT. I never really messed with them at all. Actually, I'll just take advice on this part and see what comments I receive. If I think of something else, I'll be sure to post.

Thanks everyone for the help! These certainly are exciting times!!
 :realhappy:
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline eclark

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • eclark @ archive.org
Re: UA-5>Microtrack suggestions on settings...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 11:41:58 PM »
if you use the SPDIF input on your MT it should disable the preamps/gain inside your MT. to control your levels you would need to adjust them on the UA5. you would be using the MT as just a bit bucket to store the digital data that is coming out of your UA5. you dont really have control of the signal once it leaves the UA5

does that make sense?

ps - ive got a wmod UA5 on the way and my (second) MT got here today  :)
gl
akg 460b + ck61 (-10db) > MixPre-D > Sony PCM M10

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 12:39:10 PM »
My gear: Peluso CEMC-6>silvers>Oade W+mod UA-5>S/pdif>Microtrack
My recording purposes: Loud rock concerts such as Smashing Pumpkins, Black Crowes, G. Love & Special Sauce, DMB just to name a few upcoming shows. Record at 24 bits, 48 kHz using s/pdif to MT.

I know this is kind of a broad subject here but this is what I THINK the settings should be on the UA-5:

Front Panel...

Use inputs 1 & 2 for mics.
Sensitivity dials to be determined once recording starts.
**Hi-Z/Lo-Z------I'm not sure about this one?
Phantom 48V-----ON or with indicator light on.
REC Source-------Analog.
Sample rate------48 kHz
Input Monitor-----Stereo
**Volume---------Should this be all the way up for concert recording?
**Monitor SW-----Not sure I understand this one either.
**Output---------If I'm not using the headphones or master jacks, setting doesn't matter?
Power------------On, duh!

Back Panel:

**Input Volume dial----Using only 1&2 inputs on front, so setting doesn't matter?
**Digital input select switch---Doesn't matter because I won't be using digital in, only digital out, correct?
**Advance switch-----ON, so that I can record at 24 bits, 48 kHz---correct?

And I think that covers that part. The only other questions I have pertains to the MT and it's settings. I'll have to go in and select s/pdif for my input, but I still use the "L" from the L/M/H switch, correct? And the level settings: Do I set them low and use the settings on the pre-amp for monitoring? Or do I use both? I've always recorded with the levels set at 2/3rd's of the way up on the MT. I never really messed with them at all. Actually, I'll just take advice on this part and see what comments I receive. If I think of something else, I'll be sure to post.

Thanks everyone for the help! These certainly are exciting times!!
 :realhappy:

Amaro,
you seem to have a pretty good handle on this!  I don't know about mt's, but most devices with digital input don't allow for any level adjustment as eclark stated so do all your controlling of levels at the pre.  The "monitor sw" button is for monitoring the signal after going through the software when using this as a usb capture advice so for our use with a recording device it does nothing.  The Hi-Z/Low-Z thing has to do with the impedance of the input.  The Hi-Z input would be most commonly be used for plugging an electric guitar or similar instrument directly into the preamp, and the Low-Z input is for condenser microphones like your peluso's.
     Volume doesn't matter to your digital out, but whit the ua5, the headphone plug and the rca jacks in the back are both controled by the volume knob.  So if you are giving an analog patch to another person, you can make adjustments to their level with the headphone volume knob!  To further beat that dead horse, you can (and should) use the headphone jack for patchers if you are running the unit upright in a bag like it was when I sent it to you.  It is the EXACT same signal that comes through the rca jacks in the back.
     You are correct about everything else in your post!

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 02:38:28 PM »
Thanks to both of you for the informational replies. I think that pretty much sums things up as far as my questions regarding settings.

Thanks Matt for the info and the gear. I think I'm ready to pop my open taping cherry on Friday at an outdoor show. I hope, anyways.
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com