Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shure VP88 with NJB3  (Read 1829 times)

Offline arundravid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Shure VP88 with NJB3
« on: July 23, 2005, 12:56:52 PM »
I am using a Shure VP88 mic plugged directly into Nomad Jukebox 3 "Line in" port. I am using the following settings for recording:
Wav 44.1, mic in, gain of 44 (max). The recording level seems to be low. Do I need any external amplification for my input signal? Or is there no way to plug the mic directly into the NJB3?

Thanks.

Ray76

Re: Shure VP88 with NJB3
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 01:18:13 PM »
I am using a Shure VP88 mic plugged directly into Nomad Jukebox 3 "Line in" port. I am using the following settings for recording:
Wav 44.1, mic in, gain of 44 (max). The recording level seems to be low. Do I need any external amplification for my input signal? Or is there no way to plug the mic directly into the NJB3?

Thanks.

the mic  in feature is shoddy from what i understand, the diginoise makes it not such a hot thing to use , especially if you are recording acoustic type music. with louder shows it isnt as much of an issue. still, if it were me Id get an SP pre to go in that chain, which will 1. Give you the level of gain you need 2.) allow you to get a line level signal, which by all accounts is much better than the mic in feature.

ray

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 08:48:40 AM »
I Would suggest a set of line transformers Like the HOSA MIT-176 and the apropriate adapter cables (2 1/4" > 1/8" stereo) and go line in on the JB3.

For Better results you may want to look into an external preamp or preamp/AD combo unit, these will be coniderably more expensive though.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 01:58:54 PM »
A preamp is good but you should get decent levels for really loud shows.  For sound quality reasons you need to use line-in setting while recording, not mic-in (which severely rolls off the high frequencies).  Run it at the maximum gain for line-in, which is +12 dB.

Also, is the microphone's internal battery still good (and did you switch the mic to 'batt on')?  Your attempts with 48dB of gain on mic-in should have pushed your levels over the limit so something's not right here.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com