Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Hints wanted for using UA-5 for converting old cassette masters  (Read 1874 times)

Offline bodegahwy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Hints wanted for using UA-5 for converting old cassette masters
« on: January 10, 2005, 04:14:58 PM »
Has anybody used the UA-5 for digitizing old cassettes?  Got any hints or words from the wise?  It will be Nak>UA-5>JB3 or laptop.
Martin Guitars, Moots Bikes, Scott Fly Rods and BD tele skis.  Music in the Mountains.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Hints wanted for using UA-5 for converting old cassette masters
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 04:33:56 PM »
Has anybody used the UA-5 for digitizing old cassettes? Got any hints or words from the wise? It will be Nak>UA-5>JB3 or laptop.

[1] Use a cassette deck with adjustable azimuth.

[2] Convert at 24/96 (or 24/44) for archival purposes (UA5 > laptop), then dither/resample down to 16/44 for CD listening.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 04:41:32 PM »
Has anybody used the UA-5 for digitizing old cassettes? Got any hints or words from the wise? It will be Nak>UA-5>JB3 or laptop.

[1] Use a cassette deck with adjustable azimuth.

[2] Convert at 24/96 (or 24/44) for archival purposes (UA5 > laptop), then dither/resample down to 16/44 for CD listening.

Yeah, and yeah...  Although I can't do 24bit yet, even with my computer - never got it working right...

But if you go to your JB3, I'd run the tape line-outs into the 1/4" TRS on the front and fix any gain problems there.  Later, with SF or CEPro, you can do more adjusting, if you like...

I've done a few of my "low and no" circulation JMP analogs this way... 

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline bodegahwy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 06:41:09 PM »
Thank you for the idea on the 1/4 inch inputs.  If I understand that right it gives me the ability to separatly set the levels for the two channels as opposed to single master input on the back for the line inputs.  Is that right?

A while ago I posted for suggestions on software to dither and resample.  Wavepro was suggested by a couple of people.  Will that program also allow me to edit out dead time and set track numbers?

I have a pretty good collection of no circ bluegrass and old timey stuff that I want to digitize (as well some that I already have but with much less powerful ADC)

Thanks.
Martin Guitars, Moots Bikes, Scott Fly Rods and BD tele skis.  Music in the Mountains.

Offline NewHomebrew

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 09:47:13 PM »
Cut tracks with CDWave => shareware.  If you edit with other programs, there is a chance you will cut the track in a bad spot and get a click or added zeroes when you burn to cd.

I like to edit and correct DC offset with WaveLab

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.178 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com