Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New SONY PCM-A10  (Read 128148 times)

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: New SONY PCM-A10
« Reply #135 on: January 28, 2019, 03:59:48 PM »
That in itself is golden. But if I need/want to change recording levels, i have to do that on the device itself. Is that correct?

No. As I said: Everything you need to do, you can do from the app. ;)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
« Reply #136 on: January 28, 2019, 04:58:55 PM »
Wow I have to say it’d besweet to be 😈 and run hot levels, and no one notices. Is it rock solid?
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline zeus163

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2019, 08:47:36 AM »
Wow I have to say it’d besweet to be 😈 and run hot levels, and no one notices. Is it rock solid?

Are you talking reliability or about the unit itself. Sebastian said this about the unit,
"Well, you're losing the rugged metal case of the M10. The A10 does not feel as heavy as the M10."

I just placed my order for one. It says it will be here on Friday. I was already thinking of heading out to Seattle that night anyway. The venue is one of those DIY venues, so I shouldn't have any problems messing around with the recorder. Although the sound isn't generally very good at these venues.  I'm sure I'll have some more questions....soon.
Kangol wearing fool...

ThePiedPiper

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2019, 01:00:43 PM »
For those that have one of these, how do you like to mic input being on the side? I'm so use to it being on the top.  Do you find this better or a hindrance?

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2019, 01:12:47 PM »
For those that have one of these, how do you like to mic input being on the side? I'm so use to it being on the top.  Do you find this better or a hindrance?

Don't have one, but for stealth I'd think it would be an advantage as far as ergonomics go...

Offline flask

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2019, 01:22:05 PM »
It hasn't been an issue for me. I would recommend using a right angle adapter if you're not already using one
Mics: AKG C480B CK61/CK63 | AT943C/O
Pre/Pwr: UA-5 wmod | SPSB-1 | Baby nbox
Recorders: TCD-D7 | NJB3 | DR-680mkii | PCM-A10

Offline gaijin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2019, 03:20:28 PM »
Hi all,

Lot's of good information in this thread - thanks for that!  I too am considering purchasing this recorder for ultra lo pro situations.

I haven't seen it discussed elsewhere in this thread (and I've read through the whole thing), but what is known about that use of dual ADC circuitry in this device?  I cannot find it mentioned in any of the English write-ups about this device, but it's called out in every Japanese review I've seen (e.g. https://ones.co.jp/2018_10_14_01_pcm-a10_linirepcmrecorder_review_sony.html).

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can provide.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #142 on: January 30, 2019, 11:28:17 AM »
Hi all,

Lot's of good information in this thread - thanks for that!  I too am considering purchasing this recorder for ultra lo pro situations.

I haven't seen it discussed elsewhere in this thread (and I've read through the whole thing), but what is known about that use of dual ADC circuitry in this device?  I cannot find it mentioned in any of the English write-ups about this device, but it's called out in every Japanese review I've seen (e.g. https://ones.co.jp/2018_10_14_01_pcm-a10_linirepcmrecorder_review_sony.html).

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can provide.

I have not seen it explained for this deck yet, but the same feature is on the Tascam DR100MKIII and here is what they say...

Improving recording signal-to-noise
(Dual ADC function)
The dual ADC function realizes even better signal-to-noise
performance and can suppress noise even when recording quiet
input sounds.

Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline zeus163

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2019, 08:38:51 PM »
My A10 arrived today (a day earlier than I thought). I hope to take it out tomorrow, but that first outing may now be in doubt (family stuff). If I can get out, I'm going to see if I can find a splitter so that I can record into the A10 and the M10. I think Sebastian said he did that without issues.

First impressions, it's small. I think we all knew that. While not as rugged as the M10, I didn't think it was too terrible. It is lighter than the M10. Again, another thing we all knew. When taking this out for shows, I might actually put this in the tiny foam case it came with. I just have to make sure the foam case won't impact the mic jack at all. I did read in the manual/instructions that it came with under precautions that "Noise may be heard when the unit is placed near an AC power source, a fluorescent lamp or a mobile phone during recording or playback". I find this statement odd since there is a phone app. Which to me would kind of defeat the purpose of the phone app. Sebastian have you had an issue with that? Might be something to look out for.

It paired to my phone nice and easy. I do wish that I could switch audio (line) in/mic in on the recording app itself. As it is, at least from what I've seen, each time I plug my mics in, I have to chose between mic in or audio in and select manual. Not a big deal. I can hook up before the show since battery life won't be an issue. I just wish I could set that as a default setting for every time I turn the unit on. Maybe I can, but I haven't looked for it.

I do like how I can run the A10 from my phone while the A10 is locked. I do not like that the buttons on the phone app are a little closer than I'd like to have. I've got fat fingers! I also wish there was a hold option on the phone app. I am going to suggest that. I may even ask for a little more separation between the buttons as well.

I ran some initial tests with a babynbox, an IPA (set at 4db), and a tinybox (low setting--I think it is 4db as well). From my initial tests, I think I'd have to run line in with the babynbox. On the M10, I ran mic in as per Nick's suggestion. With mic in, I peaked levels quite easily (even at 1). I was screaming like a banshee into my mics and going over each time. I know that isn't the best test, but I figured it would be somewhat close to real life. When I connected the babynbox via line in, I didn't have that issue. I tested the IPA and Tinybox as well (line in). Again, I began screaming like a banshee which meant everyone in the house was wondering what the hell I was doing! I don't remember what levels I set, but they did not peak.

I'm not sure this is the perfect device, but if things go well, it will be nice to have an even smaller device for what I'm normally doing when I record.  >:D >:D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 08:42:28 PM by zeus163 »
Kangol wearing fool...

Offline zeus163

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2019, 10:16:02 PM »
Sebastian when you were running your Tinybox did you just set it to (audio) line in and manual levels? I'm just curious...
Kangol wearing fool...

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #145 on: February 01, 2019, 12:56:51 AM »
I downloaded the Roland app just to see how it's laid out. It will let you "look around" without having the actual recorder. I can't find the Sony app on iTunes. I would love to play with the app without having to buy the recorder first.

Offline zeus163

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #146 on: February 01, 2019, 01:18:53 AM »
On IOS it is called Rec Remote. I couldn't do much until I paired the device though. You can see some screen shots for the app.
Kangol wearing fool...

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #147 on: February 01, 2019, 02:12:20 AM »
On IOS it is called Rec Remote. I couldn't do much until I paired the device though. You can see some screen shots for the app.

Thank you! Downloading now to get a feel !!!
 :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 02:20:22 AM by ThePiedPiper »

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #148 on: February 01, 2019, 09:49:56 AM »
Taped Metallica with the A10 on Monday. It's so small that I just pulled it out of my pocket to check levels every so often. The one issue I had was when I wanted to disengage the hold to change levels, I pushed down too hard on the slider and turned the recorder off. This happened well before they hit the stage so nothing was lost. The next time I had to disengage hold, I was careful to just move the slider enough to turn hold off and not come close to powering it off. I ran dpa 4023 cards into the sonosax into XLR>mini interconnect into the A10. I taped the cable down to the A10 on the opposite side of the right angle mini so there was no chance the mini would come out and also limited any type of movement of the connection. With the Sonosax set to it's lowest "lo" level (6 dB), I ran the A10 at 14.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 09:52:59 AM by gewwang »

Offline zeus163

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #149 on: February 01, 2019, 10:07:36 AM »
That's pretty sweet. Did you run Audio/Line in and set it to manual?

Also, if you use the app on your phone you can engage the hold button on the A10 and use the app to set levels.
Kangol wearing fool...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com