Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: In-Ear-Monitor Taping  (Read 28123 times)

Offline dev0n

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Sleep is for Christians
In-Ear-Monitor Taping
« on: May 18, 2005, 05:24:03 PM »
I've recently been introduced to sniffing in-ear-monitor transmissions as a taping option, and while I'm still researching the post-recording remastering fracas that inevitably follows, I wanted to solicit recommendations for good general IEM receiver equipment that can 1) scan frequencies from multiple IEM manufacturers 2) separate the L/R channels correctly, and 3) collect as much (non-noise) background data as possible.  DIY instructions or external links are more than welcome.

Offline dev0n

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: In-Ear-Monitor Taping
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 05:49:38 PM »
search will reveal plenty

Search mostly revealed a lot of questions about specific brands to use for wired in-field monitoring of recordings, nothing regarding what I'm looking for: didn't find any wireless IEM monitoring equipment recommendations at all.  Did I miss something?

As for "why" - I think that, aside from the obvious benefit of sound clarity, it would take some of the pressure off the tapers' shoulders in terms of keeping the gear unobtrusive and out of sight, and would enable them to enjoy the show more not having the recording quality dependent on their consistency of position and posture (even if they'll enjoy remastering less later).  Hell, if the Wired article author isn't full of shit, a show can be taped this way by a taper that wasn't even able to get tickets to a show.  I have questions about transmission strength there however ...

Offline taktheride

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 05:58:19 PM »
yeah, i've been wondering about this myself.  i think its very clever someone thought up the idea to try and grab the IEM signal.
never heard any IEM shows, but they can't be that bad...

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 06:11:22 PM »
My understanding is that the iem mixes are generally customized for each of the performers on the stage and do NOT present a mix that's at all balanced/representative of what's being played

Ray76

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 06:37:55 PM »
My understanding is that the iem mixes are generally customized for each of the performers on the stage and do NOT present a mix that's at all balanced/representative of what's being played

Thats exactly right. We use IEMs at work often, and depending on the person, the mix is bulging in some areas, lacking in others. I , for instance want all the instruments but piano out and the bass singers taken out of the monitor completely.

ray

Offline dev0n

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 06:53:53 PM »
I am fully prepared for the annoying possibility that I might also have to get an audience recording like normal and drop some content from that and mix the IEM in post-facto, but that would depend entirely on what I hear during sound check :-)  In any event, has anyone heard of DIY Radio Shack schematics for IEM scanners or happened across lists of channel frequency ranges?

Ray76

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 06:57:31 PM »
I am fully prepared for the annoying possibility that I might also have to get an audience recording like normal and drop some content from that and mix the IEM in post-facto, but that would depend entirely on what I hear during sound check :-)  In any event, has anyone heard of DIY Radio Shack schematics for IEM scanners or happened across lists of channel frequency ranges?

What makes you interested in IEM taping. ?NOt criticizing, just tryin to learn.

Ray

Offline dev0n

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 07:32:44 PM »
What makes you interested in IEM taping. ?NOt criticizing, just tryin to learn.

Pretty much what I told mok3 above - clarity and ease of execution.

BTW so far my research has turned up the following carrier frequencies used by professional-grade IEM manufacturers, some vary according to country:

Nady PEM500 - 694.300 - 704.300 MHz
Nady E03 - 72.1 - 75.9 MHz
Sennheiser * 450 - 960 MHz
Shure P2T - 518.750 - 553.250 MHz
Shure P4T - 722-865 MHz
Shure P6T - 626.475 - 656.500 MHz
Shure P7T - 524 - 746 MHz

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 08:13:40 PM »
yeah, i've been wondering about this myself.  i think its very clever someone thought up the idea to try and grab the IEM signal.

I have a couple of dmb shows done this way and I think they suck.  very, very strange mix and you can hear them talk to each other/board guy etc.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline rockumal

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 08:48:41 PM »
Taping the IEM feed is too much like eavsdropping to me.  You're not "just" snagging music but often private banter between bandmembers as well.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 09:07:39 PM »
just make usre your efforts don't give tapers a bad name, in any conceivable way, because what your proposing is right on the edge.

a lot of people feel that it is over the line. Ask some of the legit DMB tapers on this board what they think about this. Scott? George? Nick?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 10:16:56 PM »
just make usre your efforts don't give tapers a bad name, in any conceivable way, because what your proposing is right on the edge.

a lot of people feel that it is over the line. Ask some of the legit DMB tapers on this board what they think about this. Scott? George? Nick?

put clearly, you are risking the open taping policy of any band you do this to...the DMB folks got so pissed they have the ability to triangulate on the location getting the signal, and they can locate you....or get close, and in the case of another taper on this board, think he has the IEM in his bag (even though he doesnt) start rifling thorugh his bag knocking levels off, etc...just to find it...

bottom line, dumb idea, the risk is losing taping priveleges for bands...

I have also heard, but have not verified, since you are intercepting a FCC band signal you could be accused of a felony...not sure about that though

Offline dev0n

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 11:13:03 PM »
put clearly, you are risking the open taping policy of any band you do this to...the DMB folks got so pissed they have the ability to triangulate on the location getting the signal, and they can locate you....

Well I can see how they could triangulate the transmitter, but not a small receiver.  A receiver doesn't give off a signal to triangulate ... and if you're outside the venue it would be a moot point anyway.

I have also heard, but have not verified, since you are intercepting a FCC band signal you could be accused of a felony...not sure about that though

I'm not sure what an FCC-band signal is, but I'm reasonably certain that the frequencies that I've seen thus far carried by IEM devices aren't covered under any law banning interception (like cellular phone frequencies for example).  Every unencrypted transmission using unprotected frequencies is fair game for anyone to receive.  I have radio equipment that came stock from the manufacturer able to intercept those frequencies.

Offline Tim

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 11:19:06 PM »
quote]Hell, if the Wired article author isn't full of shit, a show can be taped this way by a taper that wasn't even able to get tickets to a show.

fwiw - taping the iem feeds from outside the venue was not an uncommon occurance and Grateful Dead shows
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2005, 11:22:50 PM »
yeah, i've been wondering about this myself. i think its very clever someone thought up the idea to try and grab the IEM signal.

monitor mixes are VERY specific to the musician, they don't sound anything like what a regular mix for the room sounds like. the mixes can vary *widely*... sometimes it will just be the instrument of whichever musician you happen to be capturing at the moment. Monitor mixes are customized to each musician onstage to allow them to hear whatever they personally need to hear in order to perform. Rarely will they want a balanced mix of all of the instruments, more likely they will want a mix heavy on their instrument and a little of the other instruments filled in, sometimes entire instruments will be left out.

so yes, they can be that bad

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com