Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #3  (Read 105337 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #3
« Reply #255 on: May 09, 2011, 11:43:51 PM »
Shipped my 680 to Chris at Busman today.  I was able to work around my issue by running that channel hotter with a stereo pair on 1&2 but typically I would just use that channel for a direct out from the SBD.  Figured I would go for all 6 channel mods from Chris since the difference between 2 & 6 channels was $125.  Regardless of the issue I had I have no regrets going from an R44 to a DR-680.  Me love 8 channles  ;D

Shit, I feel over exerted just running 4 channels :P ;D

That's why I am just running MBHO>LB>M10 for festies/Phish tour. I hope I dont regret leaving the 722 behind :(
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #256 on: May 09, 2011, 11:58:55 PM »
I was looking at what I recorded the other night and the wav forms look like there was limiting... (flat tops) I thought crap...  I must have left that turned on... last night I was very careful to make sure there was no limiting on and one channel of the five  I recorded look this way. Please say it ain't so... I love this machine.. I've pulled gold with it but I'm scared.  Also I have to format the card every time or I get  a write delay (press enter) when I do the little "buffering"  thing on the display starts and nothing works till I pull a battery. I haven't upgraded the firmware so I guess thats the first thing to do.
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #257 on: May 10, 2011, 01:03:54 AM »
Sounds like they wanted to release it before all the "bugs" were worked out :(
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline bdasilva

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #258 on: May 20, 2011, 03:30:36 PM »
All this talk of bad units  has me scared... Its like having a girlfriend who you know is crazy but you love her anyway. Happy to report that since I flashed the 680 with the latest firmware there has been no gremlins... Both Rad shows in Minny came out perfect. Another  local show had no problems. Whew.Is there anybody else that is running theirs and having no problems??  I do recommend keeping the internal batteries in and charged (seems to like that) (I love seamless switching fro internal to external power)  Also I find that formatting the card before each show is prudent (likes that too)
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline ShawnF

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #259 on: May 20, 2011, 03:36:13 PM »
All this talk of bad units  has me scared... Its like having a girlfriend who you know is crazy but you love her anyway. Happy to report that since I flashed the 680 with the latest firmware there has been no gremlins... Both Rad shows in Minny came out perfect. Another  local show had no problems. Whew.Is there anybody else that is running theirs and having no problems??  I do recommend keeping the internal batteries in and charged (seems to like that) (I love seamless switching fro internal to external power)  Also I find that formatting the card before each show is prudent (likes that too)

I've had zero issues with mine.  My only "complaint" is being unable to monitor the SPDIF and the analog inputs simultaneously, which is of course a design issue, not a failure.  Otherwise, it's been very, very good for me.

Offline johnmuge

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #260 on: May 20, 2011, 04:22:22 PM »
Knock on wood, my unit has run perfectly.  I've run it on internal and external batterys and used up to 6 channels with phantom power on and every show has been no problem.  I have not updated the firmware yet from when I got it either.  I really do love this unit and sure hope it lasts a long time.  I think it sounds really good. 
> AKG c480b(ck61,ck63) Naiant Couplings-PFA / Beyer MC930 / Milab VM-44 link / Nevaton MCE400
 > Littlebox w/output xformers / Tinybox w/ dual output  
 > Tascam DR-680, DR70d / Sony M-10 / Oade ACM Marantz PMD660

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #261 on: May 20, 2011, 04:43:14 PM »
No probelms with mine that I've noticed either. I immediately updated the firmware right out of the box to get the channel ganging feature and have used it pretty hard since, with phantom on channels 1-4 and either analog in to 5/6 or digital in to sync it with the R44.

I still mean to check channel sensitivities with a signal generator just to make sure everything is up to spec before I'm out of warranty.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #262 on: May 20, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »
yep no issues with mine either.  Nearly always running a full 8 channels in a variety of configurations.  Would buy another without hesitation.  The deck has great sound with a great feature set all for a great price. 

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #263 on: May 20, 2011, 07:01:39 PM »
My only "complaint" is being unable to monitor the SPDIF and the analog inputs simultaneously, which is of course a design issue, not a failure.  Otherwise, it's been very, very good for me.

Wait, what? I swear I was looking at both the other night. SPDIF on 5 & 6, Analog on 1-4. I thought when you switched to digital monitor, it was just switching from mix to digital on 7 & 8.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #264 on: May 20, 2011, 08:01:12 PM »
I've had absolutely no issues with mine for the last year or so..
Original firmware and generally only format to make space on a card.
This thing is fantastic.

I typically run v3 digi into 7+8 to keep 5+6 free for analog inputs.
Monitoring the spdif input (toggle MIX MON and DIN MON) along with other channels works fine - but I can't solo the spdif this way.
Its an inconvenience I currently work around using the v3's analog output into a mini headphone amp.
Unless I'm missing something..?

Funny enough, I record a 20-piece jazz orchestra every second week and I got them dialed in - now all I use is one pair of mics clamped by a 2-channel snake I installed in the sweet spot for that gig.
These guys sound fantastic - wildly dynamic and they blast out at 110db routinely with no amplification and the tapes turn out just excellent!
The biggest band needs the least set up :)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #265 on: May 20, 2011, 08:41:07 PM »
Wow, that's cool. I aspire to recording an orchestra. I haven't done that yet. Maybe some day...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline ShawnF

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #266 on: May 20, 2011, 09:57:14 PM »
My only "complaint" is being unable to monitor the SPDIF and the analog inputs simultaneously, which is of course a design issue, not a failure.  Otherwise, it's been very, very good for me.

Wait, what? I swear I was looking at both the other night. SPDIF on 5 & 6, Analog on 1-4. I thought when you switched to digital monitor, it was just switching from mix to digital on 7 & 8.

It is switching, but the mix only has the analog channels in it.  I don't think it matters whether you have the SPDIF assigned to 5/6 or 7/8 . . .  So you can A/B the analog mix and the SPDIF, but you can't hear the digital signal mixed with the analog.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 10:00:17 PM by ShawnF »

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #267 on: May 20, 2011, 11:53:20 PM »
Funny enough, I record a 20-piece jazz orchestra every second week and I got them dialed in - now all I use is one pair of mics clamped by a 2-channel snake I installed in the sweet spot for that gig.
These guys sound fantastic - wildly dynamic and they blast out at 110db routinely with no amplification and the tapes turn out just excellent!
The biggest band needs the least set up :)

What kinds of mics are you using?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #268 on: May 21, 2011, 01:33:33 AM »
Hey rastasean, its tough to really capture a band that big but its a bi-weekly gig so I tried a bunch of variations.
In the end I found a really cool synergy between the band, the room, and DIN mk5 cardioids looking down on the front line saxophones from about 12 feet up, 25ish feet back, so I installed a snake to a light rail nearby and reach the mics over there with a little extension bar.
Its kind of a sonic focal point of the room with tons of direct sound and schoeps cards are great at rejecting rearward kitchen/bar/reverberant/etc sounds while reaching right into the back rows of the band to capture all sorts of nuance and detail.

The complete signal path would be mk5 (set to card) > cmr > pfa > 2-chnl snake > v3 > spdif > dr-680

Chuck, its definitely been a blessing.
They play 100% new material every two weeks and just completely nail it..

Offline axomxa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • If it ain't live, it ain't Dead
« Reply #269 on: May 24, 2011, 12:57:54 AM »
Ok, so I thought my first project with the 680 was flawless from last Friday (Warren @ Orpheum Boston).  Ran 4 channels 3 & 4 direct and dig in via the V3.  Great recording until I got around to mixing down and processing the 2nd set this past weekend and realized a segment of the file toward the end (approx 12 minutes) has intermittent clipping.  But then the final 5 minutes of the encore is fine.  I have narrowed it down to the direct source (ch 3 & 4) as only that source and the mixdown have the problem but the stereo channels/tracks are fine.  As such I figure it must be the 3 & 4 pres or maybe the card.  I was careful with the card purchase and bought one of the 32 gig sanctioned cards from the tascam list and formatted prior to use so leaning away from that being the issue.  Also I was using a dvd 9 v battery that had plenty of power remaining at the end.  Any ideas what it might be would be appreciated.  Next up is Mtn Jam on 6/4 so it will get a good work out and I will be sure to monitor and troubleshoot starting with trying channels 1 & 2 for the direct source.  Again, glad I bought the B & H extended plan, but hopefully won't need it. . .           
Mics: MBHO 603 (KA200N, matched pair) / AKG C460B (ck63, a60/ck1, NBob/PFA actives) / Senn MS14P (MKE 4012 supercards & 4010 cards) / AKG SE300B (ck91 & ck92)
Mic Cables: 15' 3 channel GAKable / 15' custom Star Quad / 12' Mogami
Pres/ADC:  Grace V3 / Denecke PS2 > Denecke AD20
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod) / Tascam D70 / Sony PCM-D50

Photography rig:
Canon 60D, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

LMA tapes:   https://archive.org/search.php?query=crupi%20AND%20collection%3Aetree&sort=-publicdate
Etree tapes:  http://bt.etree.org/?searchsss=axomxa&cat=0

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com