Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking for urgent UA-5 powering device  (Read 4849 times)

Offline Aaron41

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Quack
Looking for urgent UA-5 powering device
« on: January 15, 2006, 02:40:30 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm slowing working my way into open taping. I just got a UA-5 but have no means to power it. I've got a show in a week and a half and I'm looking for a battery pack that I can get before then. Nothing fancy, just something that isn't TOO expensive and works well. Any advice would be great. Thanks.
"The pizza game has treated me well" - Evil Taper

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
Re: Looking for urgent UA-5 powering device
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 02:53:34 PM »
I'd hit up wall mart or and electronics store and look for a DVD battery 7.2 or 9v will work fine.  Use an adaptaplug "M" for the UA5 side and remember Negative tip and positive ring.  A SLA may be a little cheaper but once you add in a charger it is probably going to be a wash
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 03:01:54 PM »
Battery:
Endurance Universal Battery for Portable DVD Players (9v)

Cable:
Adaptaplug B (Battery end)

Female-to-Female Adaptaplug Cable

Adaptaplug M (UA-5 end)

Total:
$97.00 USD (Before taxes, shipping)

It's more expensive than a wal-mart li-ion battery but with those being harder to find these days it might be your only option if you're on a deadline.  I use this to power my UA-5 and have not yet tested it in the field.  I have, however, ran my UA-5 on the battery for three hours (as a test) with no problems.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 03:06:15 PM »
I was able to get the 'walmart' battery at compusa for $40 or $49.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 03:14:15 PM »
I was able to get the 'walmart' battery at compusa for $40 or $49.

$49 at my nearest CompUSA. Seems the new dvd battery my local wallyworlds are carrying is 3000mah and is only good for about half the time the Initial/Memorex/Old style wallyworld battery would give you. The reduced capacity/time and the fact that it looks like a hockey puck with a dome make me want to slap it with a stick.

Offline Aaron41

• Quack
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 04:54:24 PM »
Battery:
Endurance Universal Battery for Portable DVD Players (9v)

Cable:
Adaptaplug B (Battery end)

Female-to-Female Adaptaplug Cable

Adaptaplug M (UA-5 end)

Total:
$97.00 USD (Before taxes, shipping)

It's more expensive than a wal-mart li-ion battery but with those being harder to find these days it might be your only option if you're on a deadline.  I use this to power my UA-5 and have not yet tested it in the field.  I have, however, ran my UA-5 on the battery for three hours (as a test) with no problems.

Wow. Thanks a lot for those links.
"The pizza game has treated me well" - Evil Taper

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 08:07:51 PM »
Cheaper version:

1300 mAh SLA ($15)

Adaptaplug 6 ft. extension ($7)

Adapta Plug B ($5)

10 pk quick connects ($2)

The UA5 will run off 12V's.

Cut the 6 ft cable to the length that works for you (I cut mine in 1/2 so I could make a backup cable), then crimp those female connectors onto the stripped end of the cable. Next insert the Adaptaplug M into the cable (make sure the polarity is correct). Finally hook the connectors to the battery. I would test the polarity of the adaptaplug just to make sure you hooked everything up correctly.

That should do it. At least thats what I've done. $29 total. And you can get it all at your friendly Rat Shack.

EDIT: Forgot the charger. Oops. Maybe it will be a bit more that $29. I think my charger cost more than the entire thing. Around $35. I got mine at the local hardware store. You could also buy a 12V smart charger from a motorcycle dealer. I've never seen one at Rat Shack.

MIKE B
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 08:13:09 PM by Fatah Ruark »
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline wsphansam

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 03:22:08 AM »
I'd keep an eye on ebay for the DVD battery, that link above to the one at Radio Shack is very expensive.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wsphansam

Team Kansasouri, Southern Office
Team Texas

Offline wsphansam

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 03:23:12 AM »
After some quick searching I found this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Universal-Li-ion-Battery-for-Portable-DVD-Player-6hrs_W0QQitemZ5856439739QQcategoryZ15055QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Lots more on there, try and find one with a buy it now since you're in a rush.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wsphansam

Team Kansasouri, Southern Office
Team Texas

Offline jimi56

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 10:40:10 PM »
Same kind of question as the OP, but... I'm really looking for a one time use kind of setup, i have a li-ion battery and some cables and such coming from ToddR, but it won't make it in time for Derek Trucks Sunday..

BAsically i can use all that ratshack stuff, are there cheaper battery options?

*update*
Put together a pretty cheap set up, we'll see how it works.  Just a 1600 mAh 9.6V RC battery, a couple adapters and the adaptaplug.  All told, it was ~30-40$ and the battery is rechargable so it can serve as a back up in the future when better power options run out.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 05:41:05 PM by jimi56 »
Rig: Samson C02s > UA5 > MT24/96

Offline TheWildKindness

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Archivist Records
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 09:20:56 PM »
After some quick searching I found this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Universal-Li-ion-Battery-for-Portable-DVD-Player-6hrs_W0QQitemZ5856439739QQcategoryZ15055QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I recently bought this exact battery to run my UA-5 (as was suggested by a couple of people)...I charged the battery, attached the proper adapter and plugged it in...yet I get no power to the UA-5? When I use the wallwart that came with the UA-5 it powers on just fine. But with the battery I get nothing? I know the adapter doesn't fit as snug a fit as the wallwart...could that be the problem? I am getting frustrated trying to figure this out. Could it be a bad battery (even though it is brand new and it took a charge?) Any suggestions?
Thanks!
-Shawn
For Sale: (BM2p+ mod) UA-5 & 20 GB JB3 - http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=127307.0

Stealth: AT831's > SP-SPSB-1 > JB3

Open: (BM2p+ mod) UA-5 > JB3

Extras: Sharp MD-DR480

Offline dgodwin

• AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 09:29:02 PM »

I recently bought this exact battery to run my UA-5 (as was suggested by a couple of people)...I charged the battery, attached the proper adapter and plugged it in...yet I get no power to the UA-5? When I use the wallwart that came with the UA-5 it powers on just fine. But with the battery I get nothing? I know the adapter doesn't fit as snug a fit as the wallwart...could that be the problem? I am getting frustrated trying to figure this out. Could it be a bad battery (even though it is brand new and it took a charge?) Any suggestions?
Thanks!
-Shawn

Do you have the polarity right for the UA5?   I believe it's tip negative.  Also, if you have a multimeter (everyone should) check the voltage.

Offline TheWildKindness

• Taperssection Member
    • Archivist Records
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 09:36:05 PM »

Thanks!
-Shawn

Do you have the polarity right for the UA5?   I believe it's tip negative.  Also, if you have a multimeter (everyone should) check the voltage.

Sorry...not sure I understand. I don't know much about electronics. How about polarity for dummies? And having tried to power the UA-5 with the wrong polarity...have I caused possible damage ?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 10:29:59 PM by TheWildKindness »
For Sale: (BM2p+ mod) UA-5 & 20 GB JB3 - http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=127307.0

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 12:04:15 PM »
If it's powering up with the Wall Wart then you are probably still fine.  A Multimeter is one of those gizmos that will tell you voltage, continuity and such. You can pick up a cheap one for $10-20 at radio shack and it will work fine for basic stuff like this. Another place I might suggest is a Batteries Plus.  We have one here and the people are always super helpful, and will probably give you a hand testing voltages and such if you buy the battery there.  Their prices are usually pretty good as well.  Finally, I'd doubel check on the 12V SLA.  I thought the UA-5 had probelms with voltages that high, but that is pureley on memory and I certainly don't know for sure.  I always ran mine with the 9v WalMart battery and had great luck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimeter

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103174&cp=&fbn=Price%2F%2410.00+-+%2449.99&fbc=1&fr=StorePrice%2FRSK%2F00001000%2F00004999&kw=multimeter&parentPage=search

« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 09:35:29 AM by phanophish »

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline TheWildKindness

• Taperssection Member
    • Archivist Records
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 12:41:49 PM »
If it's powering up with the Wall Wart then you are probebly still fine.  A Multimeter is one of those gizmos that will tell you voltage, continuity and such. You can pick up a cheap one for $10-20 at radio shack and it will work fine for basic stuff like this. Another place I might suggest is a Batteries Plus.  We have one here and the people are always super helpful, and will probably give you a hand testing voltages and such if you buy the battery there.  Their prices are usually pretty good as well.  Finally, I'd doubel check on the 12V SLA.  I thought the UA-5 had probelms with voltages that high, but that is pureley on memory and I certainly don't know for sure.  I always ran mine with the 9v WalMart battery and had great luck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimeter

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103174&cp=&fbn=Price%2F%2410.00+-+%2449.99&fbc=1&fr=StorePrice%2FRSK%2F00001000%2F00004999&kw=multimeter&parentPage=search

Thanks for the help/suggestions. I actually bought the battery that you suggested which is a 9v...I believe it's the same one you said you use. I appreciate all the help on this board...it's a great community to belong to and of course, very helpful.

Thanks again to everyone. +T's all around!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com