Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Opinions on the smallest SP mics vs. Core Sound Cardioids and possible WTB  (Read 2476 times)

Offline robgronotte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
I'm a long time user of Core Sound Cardioid microphones, and I generally love the recordings I make with them.  They're good at filtering out chatters to the side and behind me, and I like the sound profile.  I know some people think they don't have enough bass, but I don't like bassy recordings and have some high frequency hearing loss.  I also think the size is pretty much ideal - I can use them unobtrusively in a hat or on my collar.  Really the only thing I don't like about them is they seem to be very fragile.  Mine do get heavy use, and I always have two sets so one can be sent for repair if needed.  Seems like every year I have to get one set repaired or replaced though.  Getting tired of doing that, and I imagine eventually CS won't repair them anymore, so was looking at other options.

I know several people who use Sound professionals mics and have recommended them - specifically the SP-CMC-8 and SP-CMC-4U models, as having good sound quality and being sturdy.  Unfortunately those are much larger than the CSCs.  I think they would be more apparent and I couldn't use them in my hat vent holes.  Someone at SP told me the SP-CMC-26 model was made from the same base mic elements as the CSCs, and they were the least expensive choice, so I decided to try out that set (along with their 9v battery box).  I got it and tried them out, but am not happy with the sound.  They don't sound anything like the CSCs to me; much more bassy and muddy sounding.  So I'm planning to return them and possibly exchange for one of their more expensive but still reasonably priced sets.  However, I've not heard much about the sound quality of these others, and most don't even have measurements listed on the site to know exactly how large they are.  They have photos with coins, but it's still tough for me to judge.

Wondering if anyone has experience with any of these Sound Professionals cardioid mics:
MS-CMC-26
SP-CMC-25
MS-CMC-25

The MS models are more expensive and supposed to be higher quality than the SP models, but I don't really understand how the sets with the same numbers are related.

Also, if anyone has other recommendations for a very small cardioid mic they could recommend I would be happy to hear about it.  I'd be willing to spend up to around $500 if the mics sounded at least as good, or preferably even better, to my ears as the CSCs, and if they seemed to be less prone to damage.

Finally, if anyone actually has a set of any of these mics in good condition they're no longer using, I would consider buying a set used.  If anyone has a set of CSCs that are in good shape and they're willing to part with for less than the cost of new ones, I would also consider that.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
I would still appreciate any general suggestions regarding my situation and preferences, even if you don't know anything about the mics I listed. Open to ideas.

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
These are good--https://soundprofessionals.com/product/SP-CMC-4U/.  They are comparable to Church Audio CA14C.  I actually prefer the CA14Cs but if you find the Core mics to be fragile, the CA14Cs might not be to your liking.  The SP-CMC-4U are sturdy. 

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
SP-CMC-8 and SP-CMC-4U are actually Audio Technica microphones and i would recommend them .

SP CMC 8 are AT943       and CMC 4 are AT853.

I have used both of them and also Core sound CSC,.

You will like the AT943  (SP CMC 8) the best for sound and size,going by your original post.

I have samples or just PM me for specifics as i've used all these mics extensively.

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
Yes, both of those have come recommended by other tapers I know, but they're both larger than I would like, and I specifically think they would be too large to use with my hat.

Another member here sent me a PM recommending the Sennheiser ME104 cardioids, but I can only find them sold individually and know nothing about putting a set of mics together with the cables, etc.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
Rob, maybe explain exactly how you usually mount your mics in your hat? I wonder if there's not a way of rigging the 853s or 943s so they'll work — they may not be able to fit through a vent hole, but mesh or thin fabric isn't going to affect the sound noticeably.

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
I usually have the CSCs sticking out through the vent holes, with the cables inside the hat and down the back of my shirt.  However, I originally had to make the vent holes a bit larger to get the CSCs to fit through them, and I don't think anything larger than that would be likely to work the same way.

Way back when in 1996-97 I used one (much larger) stereo Sony Mic inside another hat, with the head towards the vent (baseball cap worn backwards, same as now), but it wasn't very comfortable.  I could consider that again with two medium mics, but I would have to find a way to make sure the mics stayed in place, plus I'm afraid they might bump my head or the hat and make noise.  Also, I have a very large head and it's already tough to find hats that fit me.  The more awkwardly one balances on my head, the more conspicuous I will be.  With the CSCs being very small and basically the same color as my hat, I don't think anyone ever notices them there even if they're directly looking at me.

Offline Todd

• Taperssection Newbie
I record with mics in a shirt collar.  These have worked well although I think they've switched the model # slightly since I got mine.  Was searching for mics that used Nak capsules and these claim to use Primo capsules like the Nak mics do.   https://micbooster.com/clippy-and-pluggy-microphones/135-clippy-em184-xlr-matched-pair.html     I have these but don't think they are still avaiable.  Helpful if email them as well.   XLR inputs if that matters.  Clippy EM184
Been taping since early 80's.   CS>MD>digital

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
I agree with nulldogmas on the hat issue. I have stuck Studio Project C4s in a K****l with no issues. Mesh is pretty much acoustically transparent.
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com