Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 6)  (Read 94429 times)

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 6)
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2015, 01:38:14 AM »
Another flawless 4 channel recording last night, perhaps I haven't had any problems because I'm using an approved card?

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=583704

The recording that's connected to your link appears to have the signal chain of  "Schoeps mk22 (NOS)> Nbob KCY> Naiant Littlebox> Sony PCM-M10 @ 24/96"
I might not be the brightest bulb but I'm pretty sure there's no DR-70D listed.  Am I missing something? 

Offline johnfitz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2015, 11:44:04 AM »
I posted this in the Tascam gripe thread but figured I'd put it here in case anybody cares and doesn't see it over there.

I have nothing to gripe about.

I've got a $200 4-channel recorder that performs much better than any $200 4-channel recorder has any business to.

For more than 6 months I've been using it almost weekly to record 4-channels and have used it as a straight 2-channel recorder (with the 2-channel back up tracks enabled, so I guess even those instances are still using all 4 channels) probably half a dozen times on top of that and fortunately I've never had any negative issues. I'm recording everything at 24/48.

I'm using a Sandisk Ultra Plus 64gb Microsdxc Class 10 Uhs-1 Memory Card (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NPJBYD0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00) and have installed all of the firmware updates when they've become available.

I formatted the card in the recorder several times the only way possible via the older firmware version and did the new full format that's available with the latest version before I last used it. (Even the full format option only took a minute or so to complete).

I never put any of that into your spread sheet, but there you have it. I may be in the minority but so far I've had nothing but good luck with my DR-70D.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 11:45:59 AM by johnfitz »

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2015, 01:55:49 PM »
I posted this in the Tascam gripe thread but figured I'd put it here in case anybody cares and doesn't see it over there.

I've got a $200 4-channel recorder that performs much better than any $200 4-channel recorder has any business to.

For more than 6 months I've been using it almost weekly to record 4-channels and have used it as a straight 2-channel recorder (with the 2-channel back up tracks enabled, so I guess even those instances are still using all 4 channels) probably half a dozen times on top of that and fortunately I've never had any negative issues. I'm recording everything at 24/48.

I'm using a Sandisk Ultra Plus 64gb Microsdxc Class 10 Uhs-1 Memory Card (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NPJBYD0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00) and have installed all of the firmware updates when they've become available.

I formatted the card in the recorder several times the only way possible via the older firmware version and did the new full format that's available with the latest version before I last used it. (Even the full format option only took a minute or so to complete).

I never put any of that into your spread sheet, but there you have it. I may be in the minority but so far I've had nothing but good luck with my DR-70D.

Please consider altering or deleting your other similar post, in the GRIPE thread.

Thank you.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2015, 04:41:31 PM »

The product name at that link is a sdsup-064g-a which does not appear on the "approved" list of cards, fwiw.

Offline DecomposingCadaver

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2015, 05:03:31 PM »
The product name at that link is a sdsup-064g-a which does not appear on the "approved" list of cards, fwiw.

It would be strange if only approved cards worked - after all, they can't test all cards out there, there's got to be thousands. So it's a pretty good bet that many cards not on that "approved" list will work perfectly well, just you don't have the "guarantee" that you get with a tested card. So the question is: do you feel lucky  :)?

Offline johnfitz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2015, 05:23:37 PM »

It would be strange if only approved cards worked - after all, they can't test all cards out there, there's got to be thousands. So it's a pretty good bet that many cards not on that "approved" list will work perfectly well, just you don't have the "guarantee" that you get with a tested card. So the question is: do you feel lucky  :)?

Yeah maybe, I don't know.

There was initially some to do because some people were experiencing "write timeout" errors with some higher capacity, slower writing cards if I recall correctly.

I bought that particular card around that time (not long at all after buying the recorder so it's the only one I've ever used) because somebody on here reported running it without those particular issues...

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2015, 06:14:33 PM »
Voltronic posted that he had trouble with an approved card SanDisk SDSDUP-16G here:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=174900.msg2165885#msg2165885, but it's on the approved list. 

The approved list shows SDSDUP- 32G as NG. 

If there's a rhyme or reason why one card or the other works out of this SDSDUP series in the Sandisk line and the others don't, it eludes me. You'd think all the cards in a series would be good in the 70d?   

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2015, 06:36:15 PM »
Look at the media lists for other Tascam recorders, like my earlier post about the 22-WL, 44WL, and 680mkII for just 3 examples.  You'll see that all the cards tested in a series rarely if ever pass.  I have no idea why different sizes in the same model series would perform so differently, but apparently they do.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline johnfitz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2015, 06:37:25 PM »
There was initially some to do because some people were experiencing "write timeout" errors with some higher capacity, slower writing cards if I recall correctly.

I bought that particular card around that time (not long at all after buying the recorder so it's the only one I've ever used) because somebody on here reported running it without those particular issues...

It was on this page of part 2 that user CheeseCadet reported using the above card successfully...
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=172109.180

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2015, 06:58:44 PM »
Look at the media lists for other Tascam recorders, like my earlier post about the 22-WL, 44WL, and 680mkII for just 3 examples.  You'll see that all the cards tested in a series rarely if ever pass.  I have no idea why different sizes in the same model series would perform so differently, but apparently they do.

It's also puzzling when a particular card is reported to work in one Tascam, but fails to work in another Tascam.  You'd think that a card that works in one Tascam should work in all Tascam recorders, but evidently not so. 

And you had trouble with a 16g from the approved list, yet johnfitz reports being able to use a 64g card which you'd think would be more problematic since it's a larger card that isn't even on the approved list?

Offline voltronic

« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2015, 08:33:28 PM »

It's also puzzling when a particular card is reported to work in one Tascam, but fails to work in another Tascam.  You'd think that a card that works in one Tascam should work in all Tascam recorders, but evidently not so. 

And you had trouble with a 16g from the approved list, yet johnfitz reports being able to use a 64g card which you'd think would be more problematic since it's a larger card that isn't even on the approved list?

Neither thing is that surprising.  Different models from a different brand are going to have different hardware and software, and I think that would certainly affect how those different units read and write to the storage media, among many other things.

About your second point: I think they are just testing a handful of cards from popular brands, as others have already suggested.  In this case, johnfitz is using a microSD card with an adapter.  I don't think they would ever test any microSD cards, as this unit is designed for regular SD cards.  That doesn't mean that none of them will work, as this one seems to.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2015, 10:39:20 PM »
Another flawless 4 channel recording last night, perhaps I haven't had any problems because I'm using an approved card?

The recording that's connected to your link appears to have the signal chain of  "Schoeps mk22 (NOS)> Nbob KCY> Naiant Littlebox> Sony PCM-M10 @ 24/96"
I might not be the brightest bulb but I'm pretty sure there's no DR-70D listed.  Am I missing something?

You're totally right, my bad. :cheers: Wrong link, here's the matrix from the DR-70D: http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=583755
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2015, 09:35:40 PM »
Thanks, Noah. :cheers:

Offline voltronic

« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2015, 09:56:52 PM »

You're totally right, my bad. :cheers: Wrong link, here's the matrix from the DR-70D: http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=583755

I haven't listened to your show yet, but what do you think of your Busman mod?  I have the JW mod and to my ears it's an improvement.  Maybe you'd post your impressions in the mod discussion thread?
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=174046.0
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2015, 08:22:18 AM »
I've only ever heard my deck. I doubt I could hear a difference, I got the mod for my audiophile ego.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.154 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com